IGNORED

Taxi for Cooper

Malago

2 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

Their recruitment has been shite!

I mean when they came up.

People go on about this miracle but it is worth examining their accounts.

The PL is the PL but people oh Cooper is great etc..should also analyse the financial context or otherwise.

How much of a say he got over signings is also a matter of debate. He was a Head Coach not a Manager for one.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

3 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

Yes, I agree. It seems they had no actual set policy and just signed random players. A bit like the recent Chelsea recruitment 'system'!

Modern football is increasingly like that. Managers sort of slipping away a bit, Head Coaches and Directors of Football etc are the new blueprint in a lot of places.

Nottingham Forest and Chelsea two extreme cases without doubt!

28 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Can we up football wage budget to £37m, splash out another £5-6m on additional fees/loan fees and have a entering peak Brennan Johnson we turn down 2 substantial bids for..

I dont know, but he didnt have all that available immediately in the championship did he? And we could splash out 5-6 million on fees. What he did there was incredible, but it wouldnt happen here because we are fundamentally pretty shite.

Just now, Simon bristol said:

I dont know, but he didnt have all that available immediately in the championship did he? And we could splash out 5-6 million on fees. What he did there was incredible, but it wouldnt happen here because we are fundamentally pretty shite.

Yes he did, check the accounts. The wage bill he inherited was around £37m and while we cut it by millions, Nottingham Forest remained at just that.

I'm excluding the £20.9m in Promotion Bonuses from my analysis as that was conditional on Promotion. We could yes.

You maybe right on the last bit- ironically I thought NP was building something but we've backed the wrong horse again I fear.

3 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Just checked but a club actively turning down bids- Brennan Johnson £10m summer 2021, £18m January 2022 yet attributing attributing to Covid-19 is a huge EFL failure.

Hard pressed clubs actually should lodge a complaint about them and Stoke IMO. I still have my doubts as to whether we got equal and equitable treatment in those years.

Did they get away with it as they were heading for the PL and would Derby have escaped their delayed punishment if they had gone up?

7 minutes ago, Midred said:

Did they get away with it as they were heading for the PL and would Derby have escaped their delayed punishment if they had gone up?

I wonder. Did we get the same leeway I wonder. I thought at the time and still do that we were especially harshly hemmed in set against Fulham to an extent but especially Nottingham Forest and Stoke.

Ultimately their insurance policy might have been to sell Johnson for £20-25m by end of June 2022 had they lost. Possibly their dubious arguments were accepted however...but I make the shortfall £8-10m if normal Covid £2.5m applied to 2021-22. Johnson sale would resolve.