IGNORED

Taxi for Cooper

Malago

8 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Taking them from relegation zone championship to prem promotion in the same season, then keeping them up in the prem the following? Can’t see it one bit. He’s in so much credit. Still got a decent buffer to the relegation zone too. They’d be mad to sack him. 

Popular with the fans, done a good job,  it would be as mad as when Birmingham sacked Eustace or Sunderland sacked Mowbray. There’s another example…..  struggling to think who 😂😂

• Like 18
  • Hmmm 1

49 minutes ago, Markthehorn said:

The fans probably saved him last time this sort of situation cropped up but might not be enough this time .

According to this, it may not.. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-12834745/Nottingham-Forest-SACK-Steve-Cooper-defeat-Fulham-Julen-Lopetegui-Marco-Silva.html

I wonder if this is real too!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Is Cooper that good or does he fail upwards to a degree? The article below certainly thinks he is impressive.

Linked with Crystal Palace and even more so West Ham.

https://theathletic.com/5096044/2023/11/30/steve-cooper-future-forest/

I'm not saying he is poor, just saying does he rise higher and faster than perhaps he fully merits.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Is Cooper that good or does he fail upwards to a degree? The article below certainly thinks he is impressive.

Linked with Crystal Palace and even more so West Ham.

https://theathletic.com/5096044/2023/11/30/steve-cooper-future-forest/

I'm not saying he is poor, just saying does he rise higher and faster than perhaps he fully merits.

not at all. Did well at England Youth set ups, winning a world cup, got an unfancied Swansea side to the play offs twice (they have not been there since), then took Forest from relegation places to promotion in 2/3s of season then kept Forest up in their first season.

18 minutes ago, Gol said:

not at all. Did well at England Youth set ups, winning a world cup, got an unfancied Swansea side to the play offs twice (they have not been there since), then took Forest from relegation places to promotion in 2/3s of season then kept Forest up in their first season.

Maybe failing upwards isn't the right term but cannot help but shake the feeling that he is a little overrated.

Had forgotten about the England stuff yeah.

A Parachute bolstered Swansea, albeit he was cutting the budget as be went.

An excellent in flying form Brennan Johnson. I wonder whenever Nottingham Forest might have broken FFP that year btw. Huddersfield were also denied a clear penalty or 2 in the play-off final if memory serves.

Johnson got 16 goals and 10 assists that season, stellar- just checked.

He is their most successful manager in a generation without a doubt, even saw some journos compare him in Nottingham Forest terms to Clough.

He took them up without Parachute Payments, another tick in the box.

£ for £ Thomas Frank is perhaps superior in some respects.

16 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Maybe failing upwards isn't the right term but cannot help but shake the feeling that he is a little overrated.

Had forgotten about the England stuff yeah.

A Parachute bolstered Swansea, albeit he was cutting the budget as be went.

An excellent in flying form Brennan Johnson. I wonder whenever Nottingham Forest might have broken FFP that year btw. Huddersfield were also denied a clear penalty or 2 in the play-off final if memory serves.

Johnson got 16 goals and 10 assists that season, stellar- just checked.

He is their most successful manager in a generation without a doubt, even saw some journos compare him in Nottingham Forest terms to Clough.

He took them up without Parachute Payments, another tick in the box.

£ for £ Thomas Frank is perhaps superior in some respects.

I get what you are saying, perhaps he fact he's British gives him that extra push with the media. I do think how he has performed in his career to date would warrant a move to a middling premier league club such as Palace or West Ham. 

With regards to comparisons with Frank that's tough, undoubtedly Frank has done a wonderful job at Brentford and took them to the next level. However he went into a club with an upward trajectory which is fantastically run behind the scenes. Cooper pretty much turned Forest from a basket case to premier league singlehandedly. 

4 hours ago, Gol said:

Swansea had a bloke up front on £80k a week at the time, they haven’t had that since either.

If luck balances itself out Cooper is probably getting paid back for that run to the playoff final, in the game against us they scored a last minute winner with a blatant handball & the final was one of the most questionable refereeing displays in years, Huddersfield were denied two obvious penalties.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Swansea had a bloke up front on £80k a week at the time, they haven’t had that since either.

If luck balances itself out Cooper is probably getting paid back for that run to the playoff final, in the game against us they scored a last minute winner with a blatant handball & the final was one of the most questionable refereeing displays in years, Huddersfield were denied two obvious penalties.

We were also denied a clear penalty in that game at AG first half if that's the one you mean.

Was there a handball in the build-up to their winner? Had forgotten about that!

Albeit handball or ball to hand? I forget the exact rules these days.

27 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

We were also denied a clear penalty in that game at AG first half if that's the one you mean.

Was there a handball in the build-up to their winner? Had forgotten about that!

Albeit handball or ball to hand? I forget the exact rules these days.

Scott fouled.

Taylor handled it at the far post before putting it in.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Scott fouled.

Taylor handled it at the far post before putting it in.

Watched it back some highlights and still can't out if ball to hand or hand to ball by Taylor- but the Scott foul rings true yeah.

His arm did look in an unnatural position yeah.

22 hours ago, petehinton said:

Taking them from relegation zone championship to prem promotion in the same season, then keeping them up in the prem the following? Can’t see it one bit. He’s in so much credit. Still got a decent buffer to the relegation zone too. They’d be mad to sack him. 

It’s great for a change to see supporters backing someone in that position and not having short memories about what he’s achieved. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, One Team said:

It’s great for a change to see supporters backing someone in that position and not having short memories about what he’s achieved. 

Will say, I have my scepticism about Cooper and think he has ridden his luck in some aspects but it does make a change for fans to vigorously back a manager during tough times.

• Like 2