IGNORED

56 years ago this week, arguably, our best ever signing ?

slartibartfast

4 hours ago, ashton_fan said:

Shaun Goater was a similar player, you always fancied him to score from anywhere around the penalty box. 

All about timing with The Goat. He had the most brilliant anticipation of when and where the ball was going to arrive into the box.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ashton_fan said:

Shaun Goater was a similar player, you always fancied him to score from anywhere around the penalty box. 

A mate was a Man City supporter and he used to complain about Goats being lazy, not getting involved or just wandering about. Then he said he watched the end of season highlights and realised just how good at what he did Goater was. Rarely missed the target , hard to knock off the ball when he had it and calm in front of goal.
Still say we win the title if he stayed .

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

6 hours ago, ashton_fan said:

For us he was actually a better finisher than Cole.

Never thought he would miss if through on goal, hardly ever didn’t hit the target.

Absolute class goalscorer.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Galley was just before my time but Norman Hunter by as big a distance as possible was Dicks’ best ever signing for me.

We only had 4 top flight seasons because of him & no coincidence we were relegated as soon as he left.

Another big "what if" 
What if we keep Collier , one of the best footballing CH I can recall. Collier & Hunter would have been some partnership.
What if Cheesley doesn't get injured , would have been the goalscorer we never had in those 4 years.

16 hours ago, Norn Iron said:

I had thought of Adam Webster especially as he was like finding an abstract painting at a second hand shop only to flog it a year later because it was a Picasso! 

How could I forget Adriano Basso? He would be my pick for the 00s. Great shout.

……and, just seem Basso at Huddersfield!! Big cheer from the city fans and he gave us a wave!!

• Like 2

On 08/12/2023 at 20:56, Ciderhead433 said:

He scored twice in my first game against the Brummies, Crowe scored the other.

30th of December 1967 aged 10. I was hooked after that 

Crowe was a very polished player.  We have enjoyed few of those over the years, plus he was an England international and looked it.  Against Spurs in the cup at White Hart Lane he was magnificent 

• Like 1

On 08/12/2023 at 20:23, Norn Iron said:

Tough call Slarti as to best signing ever. Certainly best signing ever for this week in previous years!

Maybe King John was best ever signing for the 60s especially if you use your reasoning re saving the team.

In which case...

70s Norman Hunter 

80s Sir Alan Walsh

90s Sir Bob Taylor

00s mmmm

10s mmmm

Surely this is worth a thread.

Best/favourite player by decade since you've been a supporter.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

He definitely scored for the other two on debut, but whether hat tricks, not so sure !

Got a hat trick for Rotherham on debut;

John Galley John Galley scored a hat trick for Rotherham United on his debut at Coventry City, he left Rotherham to play for Bristol City.

I thought he did the same for Wolves, but on checking he scored but no hat trick - took me until now to rid me of that notion !

• Thanks 1