IGNORED

56 years ago this week, arguably, our best ever signing ?

slartibartfast

Tough call Slarti as to best signing ever. Certainly best signing ever for this week in previous years!

Maybe King John was best ever signing for the 60s especially if you use your reasoning re saving the team.

In which case...

70s Norman Hunter 

80s Sir Alan Walsh

90s Sir Bob Taylor

00s mmmm

10s mmmm

• Like 6
  • Flames 2

25 minutes ago, Norn Iron said:

Tough call Slarti as to best signing ever. Certainly best signing ever for this week in previous years!

Maybe King John was best ever signing for the 60s especially if you use your reasoning re saving the team.

In which case...

70s Norman Hunter 

80s Sir Alan Walsh

90s Sir Bob Taylor

00s mmmm

10s mmmm

00s - Adriano Basso?

Problem by the 10s is they never stay long enough! You'd arguably say Adam Webster - but he was with us such short period of time - you'd just as well say Tammy Abraham; even though he was on loan, he played just about as many games!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, slartibartfast said:

"King" John Galley joined City from fellow relegation strugglers Rotherham for £25k, a total snip, we had Tommy Docherty's pants right down, even more so as his goals saved us and relegated the Millers. Although he arrived in a plaster cast, he was due to make his debut home to Villa that Saturday, but an overnight blizzard put pay to that, so he had to wait for Hudders  away.........the rest, as they say, is history !

That would be 4.2 million in these times and money still well spent,isn’t that what we spent on Palmer 😡

Edited by joe jordans teeth
  • Robin 2

1 hour ago, 1960maaan said:

King of the West Country I believe. 
Tried everywhere to get that shirt, when I got one  (a shop by the bay horse I think) it looked more like Forest. Still , I was 11 so loved it . 

Screenshot2023-12-08at20_20_52.png.970456d2e93b72832615c9d0c94f550b.png

I have that shirt (not Galleys).

Wore it to the 2008 play off final.

Not worn it since.

• Like 1
  • Robin 1

1 hour ago, 1960maaan said:

King of the West Country I believe. 
Tried everywhere to get that shirt, when I got one  (a shop by the bay horse I think) it looked more like Forest. Still , I was 11 so loved it . 

Screenshot2023-12-08at20_20_52.png.970456d2e93b72832615c9d0c94f550b.png

Funny you should say that. I asked my parents for that shirt for Christmas. As I expectantly tore the wrapping paper off I was confronted with what looked very much like a Forest shirt. I had to hide my disappointment and appear pleased with it. And guess where my old man used to drink ? Yea, the Bay Horse. Back on topic John Galley, along with Chris Garland, was a hero to me.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Just looked on Toffs and this may be the one I got, which is probably a year later, mine didn't have a badge though.

Screenshot2023-12-08at21_50_20.png.f67093577174b81ce302a19b0fc7603a.png

Mine is an original and I also have the same shirt from about two years later which is totally red with the Bristol badge. Good quality as well, lasted all this time !

• Like 2

Just now, bcfc01 said:

Mine is an original and I also have the same shirt from about two years later which is totally red with the Bristol badge. Good quality as well, lasted all this time !

My first one, the only one I don't still have, was the all Red kit with no badge. Basically a Red Tee shirt shorts and socks and probably still my fav birthday present ever. 

I have the 76 one  though my away one was nicked. 

• Robin 1

2 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

"King" John Galley joined City from fellow relegation strugglers Rotherham for £25k, a total snip, we had Tommy Docherty's pants right down, even more so as his goals saved us and relegated the Millers. Although he arrived in a plaster cast, he was due to make his debut home to Villa that Saturday, but an overnight blizzard put pay to that, so he had to wait for Hudders  away.........the rest, as they say, is history !

I was there 

1 hour ago, italian dave said:

00s - Adriano Basso?

Problem by the 10s is they never stay long enough! You'd arguably say Adam Webster - but he was with us such short period of time - you'd just as well say Tammy Abraham; even though he was on loan, he played just about as many games!

I had thought of Adam Webster especially as he was like finding an abstract painting at a second hand shop only to flog it a year later because it was a Picasso! 

How could I forget Adriano Basso? He would be my pick for the 00s. Great shout.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

I tried to guess who that might be before looking at your posting, luckily I'm old enough to have got the question right, what a signing and memories. I know some might say rose-tinted specs and nobody could have been that good but John was, I wish we had him up front now he would take a shot from anywhere within 30 yards I can still hear his song from the Eastend now if I close my eyes, John Galley superstar how many goals have you scored so far, happy days.

Edited by pillred
  • Flames 1

7 minutes ago, pillred said:

I tried to guess who that might be before looking at your posting, luckily I'm old enough to have got the question right, what a signing and memories. I know some might say rose-tinted specs and nobody could have been that good but John was, I wish we had him up front now he would take a shot from anywhere within 30 yards I still hear his song from the Eastend now if I think about it, John Galley superstar how many goals have you scored so far, happy days.

What a great song to resssurect today, just a shame we have no one any where near his calibre 😪

• Like 2