IGNORED

Sam Bell

old_eastender

3 hours ago, Lrrr said:

His physical data stacks up fairly well against other quick players in the league 

Must be one of those where the data deceives the eyes. I’ve just never seen pure ‘quickness’ from him. I’ve never witnessed a ‘burst’. 
With genuinely quick players you can see it with your eyes. I’ve just never seen it with him. 

• Like 1

I think Bell will be a victim of the new style, leave and excel.

I can’t remember which opposition Manager said this season that he was very impressed by our academy as we were able to lose Semenyo and have someone better (Bell) come in and replace him. He’s also getting called up to England, so he’s doing something right.

We’re playing pretty ineffective football right now - unless possession is our only aim - and I don’t think anyone, except Sykes and to a lesser extent Knight and TGH are really achieving any thing remarkable.

Bell is dipping in form, but young. He’ll achieve a career well above League 1, unfortunately not at City.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Facepalm 1

11 minutes ago, SydneyCity said:

I can’t remember which opposition Manager said this season that he was very impressed by our academy as we were able to lose Semenyo and have someone better (Bell) come in and replace him. He’s also getting called up to England, so he’s doing something right.

We’re playing pretty ineffective football right now - unless possession is our only aim - and I don’t think anyone, except Sykes and to a lesser extent Knight and TGH are really achieving any thing remarkable.

Bell is dipping in form, but young. He’ll achieve a career well above League 1, unfortunately not at City.

Anyone that says Sam Bell is better than Semenyo is out of work or will be shortly.

Respect your opinion here but do not agree.

Sam Bell excelled under Nigel Pearson and was one of many that peaked under him no matter their age. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SydneyCity said:

Thanks for your insight micky 👍

• Haha 1

Semenyo was also criticised. There was even a thread boldly stating that he wasn’t a forward .

The youngsters need time and coaching to achieve the necessary levels. Clearly not all of them will make it.

The coaching team will not risk their jobs by playing ineffective players regardless of their ages. We see what’s in front of us but they have all the information, stats and daily contact to back up their judgement on match days. 

• Like 9

36 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Semenyo was also criticised. There was even a thread boldly stating that he wasn’t a forward .

The youngsters need time and coaching to achieve the necessary levels. Clearly not all of them will make it.

At one time it looked like he wasn't. He lacked the confidence to shoot, although everyone could see the skills he did possess. Got a couple of goals, the first a rather lucky one taking advantage of a goalie howler, and he was up and running - confidence flooded into the guy and we all know the rest.

With Bell at present, I feel he's a guy who doesn't create his own chances but is adept at burying chances that are presented to him by a strike partner. This is why he worked well with the unselfish Nakhi Wells but is not so good with TC who likes to take the shot himself. 

A Bell-Conway front pairing didn't work well for Nigel Pearson and he changed things around, so not sure why Manning thinks it'll work for him. 

As you say, Bell's game will improve and expand, but for now, we haven't really got a strike force to be feared.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, frenchred said:

It's Tinnions judgement that put him on a pedestal and we all know what his eye for a player was during his management tenure

While I get Tinns isn't flavour of the month at the moment, I think this particular criticism is unfair. 
Keogh, Orr, Russell, Brooker, resigning Carey, giving Lita and Skuse their chances as fully fledged first team players. 

Granted there were a couple of high profile signings that didn't work out but nobody would have turned down the chance to sign Marcus Stewart and Michael Bridges in league one. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, TomThumb84 said:

Anyone that says Sam Bell is better than Semenyo is out of work or will be shortly.

Respect your opinion here but do not agree.

Sam Bell excelled under Nigel Pearson and was one of many that peaked under him no matter their age. 

I don’t think @SydneyCity was expressing their opinion, just stating there was a manager who said we are a clever club because we lost semenyo but replaced him with a ‘clever upgrade’ in Bell. 

Sydney isn’t wrong. That did happen and it’s a direct quote. It was Carlos Corberan. Currently still in work, probably not for long though. 

Edited by 38MC
  • Like 1

In years gone by a lot of our young players would be out on loan gaining valuble experience like Semenyo Reid Bryan Pring Vyner and countless others did.  If we didnt have such a small squad players like Bell would be out learning the game until he is ready for the championship I just hope the Lansdowns start to realise this NP tried to tell them spoke out about it and got the bullet.  Interesting Naismith was asked by Downsie on Robins TV yesterday about Meerholt and said he's a great lad got a bright future but isnt quite ready yet.. If he isnt quite ready yet why on earth is he in the 1st team squad these young uns need to be out playing somewhere not sitting on the bench just to make up the numbers

• Flames 1

It's like reading about Wes Burns all over again.

Not good enough, needs to drop down a League, find his level - none of which I agreed with . His Dad used to be a regular on here and had to read the deep criticism-sometimes unpleasant

Anyway, everyone felt he found his level at Fleetwood....

Fortunately Ipswich knows better- 22 goals in 94 appearances and a full Welsh International. Possibly Premiership football next season.

Bell's biggest crime appears to be youth and inexperience-  he's City through and through, one of our own and will come good given time. 

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

It's like reading about Wes Burns all over again.

Not good enough, needs to drop down a League, find his level - none of which I agreed with . His Dad used to be a regular on here and had to read the deep criticism-sometimes unpleasant

Anyway, everyone felt he found his level at Fleetwood....

Fortunately Ipswich knows better- 22 goals in 94 appearances and a full Welsh International. Possibly Premiership football next season.

Bell's biggest crime appears to be youth and inexperience-  he's City through and through, one of our own and will come good given time. 

Yes Wes Burns wasnt quite ready at the time so dropped down a division and now he has become the player he is now 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, 38MC said:

I don’t think @SydneyCity was expressing their opinion, just stating there was a manager who said we are a clever club because we lost semenyo but replaced him with a ‘clever upgrade’ in Bell. 

Sydney isn’t wrong. That did happen and it’s a direct quote. It was Carlos Corberan. Currently still in work, probably not for long though. 

We are both right then and Corberan is the loser here.

And City really.

Happy Sunday all!

13 hours ago, tin said:

If Bell was one of Pearson’s signings, he’d be slagged off as a shit signing IMO. Because he’s homegrown, many people give him an easy ride. For me, he isn’t good enough and never will be at this level. I hope he proves me wrong but I’ve seen enough of him to think he’s too lightweight, offers Pring little protection, can’t cross and seldom beats his man. But he’s the best at the club in the bleep test? So what. He needs to step up in the next 6-12 months or be shipped out. 

Naismith mentioned on commentary that he thinks Bell is one of the best finishers in the division.

Somehow we find ourselves playing him at lwb instead of Pring.

I feel sorry for Sam. We've never been able to find a way to get him in the team in his favoured position. 

Edited by W-S-M Seagull

35 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

I agree.  

Despite what another poster says, technically I feel he's very good at quick short passing when he comes inside.  And he is a clever player too, so much so that I don't think others are on the same page.  He's not really a winger, but until he gains a bit more physical stature he will struggle through the middle so I think on the wing is the best position right now.   He can definitely finish, so when we attack down the right there isn't anyone I'd rather see coming in on the back post that Sam Bell.  His finishing is that good.

I wasn't at yesterday's game so no idea how Huddersfield set up, other than the formation on the BBC Sport app.  I can only guess Manning felt our back 3 could largely look after their attack so Bell and Sykes would primarily be attacking.

Bell is struggling for form tight now, but he's young and learning. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Loosey Boy said:

Do we know why Sam was played at LWB yesterday, instead of Cam? 

Nothing said in post-match interviews - was anything said pre-game on Robins TV or Radio Briz?

Still seems very odd, even now! Slight injury perhaps? Rotating the squad due to 3 games in 7 days?

Not sure if it was a tactical genius at work, otherwise it’s inexplicable to put a forward at LWB over perfectly capable left back who can maraude forward. If current set up had indeed watched previous tapes and asked the new doyen of all things football at our club, they might have gathered that previous Sam Bell experiments at wing back were not successful.

1 hour ago, Red Skin said:

I agree.  

Despite what another poster says, technically I feel he's very good at quick short passing when he comes inside.  And he is a clever player too, so much so that I don't think others are on the same page.  He's not really a winger, but until he gains a bit more physical stature he will struggle through the middle so I think on the wing is the best position right now.   He can definitely finish, so when we attack down the right there isn't anyone I'd rather see coming in on the back post that Sam Bell.  His finishing is that good.

I wasn't at yesterday's game so no idea how Huddersfield set up, other than the formation on the BBC Sport app.  I can only guess Manning felt our back 3 could largely look after their attack so Bell and Sykes would primarily be attacking.

Bell is struggling for form tight now, but he's young and learning. 

Maybe down the middle will be his calling but I doubt that too. He is inexperienced but not that young. Conway isn’t getting much praise either but Bell is a bit over IIRC. Old enough he should be able to deal physically a lot better than he does. 

If we are going to play him it should be on the right imo. He likes going outside and crossing. His left foot crossing is terrible though he is willing. Problem is Sykes plays on the right and he is by far our best attacking player. 

We are playing a good style but the loss of Wells and the loss of Conway’s confidence is killing our top 10 hopes. I’d probably try a front 3 of Conway Wells and Sykes when we can. Our best 3 forward/creative players at the minute. Maybe that is the plan even with 3 atb. We need to be more ruthless whatever happens. No need to bin Bell off as Weimann OOC. Bell and Mehemti probably need to battle it out for minutes. Either could win out. Recruit one in Jan, let Weimann walk in summer and Bell, Mehmeti, Yeboah and Cornick can fight for minutes

1 hour ago, westonred said:

Yes Wes Burns wasnt quite ready at the time so dropped down a division and now he has become the player he is now 

Well yes, except for the fact that we let him go for no money to the great advantage of Fleetwood & Ipswich. Irrespective of whether he was ready or not- he had similar press on here as Sam has now. I can't see why on earth Sam has to drop a division at another club. He's still our top scorer, he got an England cap with an assist but is a bit out of form. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Naismith mentioned on commentary that he thinks Bell is one of the best finishers in the division.

Somehow we find ourselves playing him at lwb instead of Pring.

I feel sorry for Sam. We've never been able to find a way to get him in the team in his favoured position. 

I think if you listen to Kal, he is one of life’s “gushers”, enthusiastic to the extent if over-complimenting.  I have no problem with that btw, just he’s a super-confident guy.

16 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Maybe down the middle will be his calling but I doubt that too. He is inexperienced but not that young. Conway isn’t getting much praise either but Bell is a bit over IIRC. Old enough he should be able to deal physically a lot better than he does. 

If we are going to play him it should be on the right imo. He likes going outside and crossing. His left foot crossing is terrible though he is willing. Problem is Sykes plays on the right and he is by far our best attacking player. 

We are playing a good style but the loss of Wells and the loss of Conway’s confidence is killing our top 10 hopes. I’d probably try a front 3 of Conway Wells and Sykes when we can. Our best 3 forward/creative players at the minute. Maybe that is the plan even with 3 atb. We need to be more ruthless whatever happens. No need to bin Bell off as Weimann OOC. Bell and Mehemti probably need to battle it out for minutes. Either could win out. Recruit one in Jan, let Weimann walk in summer and Bell, Mehmeti, Yeboah and Cornick can fight for minutes

I think central will be his calling too…in time.  He is a decent finisher, granted.

10 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Well yes, except for the fact that we let him go for no money to the great advantage of Fleetwood & Ipswich. Irrespective of whether he was ready or not- he had similar press on here as Sam has now. I can't see why on earth Sam has to drop a division at another club. He's still our top scorer, he got an England cap with an assist but is a bit out of form. 

We got £300k for him (source: Tinnion).  It was a club record for Fleetwood, at the time.  Might still be, dunno!

I quite liked Wes as it happens, and I saw his future as a forward rather than wide.  Bit like Sam is that respect.

2 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

Old enough he should be able to deal physically a lot better than he does. 

If we are going to play him it should be on the right imo.

It's not a matter of age.  Physically he just hasn't developed to the extent that he is strong enough.  Rooney was a man at 16.  Semenyo was a man at 18.  Sam just isn't there yet.

I agree about him playing on the right, but I wouldn't play him there ahead of Sykes. 

• Like 4
  • Flames 1

7 hours ago, westonred said:

Interesting Naismith was asked by Downsie on Robins TV yesterday about Meerholt and said he's a great lad got a bright future but isnt quite ready yet.. If he isnt quite ready yet why on earth is he in the 1st team squad these young uns need to be out playing somewhere not sitting on the bench just to make up the numbers

He's had a rapid rise through the ranks, overtaking a few others that have been in and around the first team in the recent past. He is there on merit. He is close to the first team and getting experience of that environment whilst also being a regular in the U21s at 17 with consistently good performances. He may well go out on loan in January, but he's 17 so he won't be too far away. He is certainly regarded as one for the near future.

Thats why he's in the first team squad imo.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I think central will be his calling too…in time.  He is a decent finisher, granted.

Me too.  His goal against Swansea in the cup was one of the best City goals I’ve ever seen live - pace and finishing.   He will come good but he needs time and a settled position.  Wing back definitely isn’t his position.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

The coaching team will not risk their jobs by playing ineffective players regardless of their ages. We see what’s in front of us but they have all the information, stats and daily contact to back up their judgement on match days. 

Not a ‘Striker’ was the post.

Said he’ll never get 10 a season - Still waiting on that one :) have to say he is doing well in then Prem.

seymenyo looked a better prospect than Bell has to me.

For the record Bell won’t score 10 a season either not at this level anyway.

Seymenyo wide of the left with Conway and Sykes up front would be a decent front three and exiting to watch.

Not sure how many other teams Bell would get in. Not sure if not academy he would get as many games for us.

17 hours ago, Harry said:

Must be one of those where the data deceives the eyes. I’ve just never seen pure ‘quickness’ from him. I’ve never witnessed a ‘burst’. 
With genuinely quick players you can see it with your eyes. I’ve just never seen it with him. 

Swansea away in the Cup?

7 hours ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

I dont think anyone is saying get rid of him Send him out on loan to get experience he will be useful for us in the future

1 hour ago, westonred said:

I dont think anyone is saying get rid of him Send him out on loan to get experience he will be useful for us in the future

I really don't agree with this as a strategy. Sending him on loan almost certainly means dropping a Division. I think both him and his Dad will think he's done enough to challenge for his place. Perhaps if his current form continues then a place on the bench may happen.

-If Liam is as good a coach as some of us hope he is then he needs to be at BCFC and learn how to be at his best in a  LM side

- If he goes to a L1 club he may be learning a different type of play or even a different position and this could potentially be counter productive. I think he'd also find it the biggest set back to his career to date. He's made over 50 appearances in the first team.

- He is not contractually required to go on loan and may very well say no and prefer to fight for his place. 

There's a place for loans both in and out but not for Sam Bell and I think you'll find this is the case.

• Like 1