IGNORED

Sam Bell

old_eastender

35 minutes ago, wheretheheartis said:

Pace I agree is deceptive, football is all about the first 5 yards and I don't necessarily think he's got that. 

Agree, when I played I had deceptive pace. I looked a lot faster than I actually was!

Joking aside it has been said he is the quickest over a timed distance. We lack players with real explosive speed. Take their goal today their player went away from ours after the charge down. We do not possess a player with pace like that. Yeboah may be the only one in the future.

7 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

He scored 4 in our first 9 games, so that’s a bit of a re-write of history, isn’t it?

He’s been poor of late but let’s not start pretending that was the case earlier in the 

Hes not a championship player regardless hes painful to watch and as I said its unfair on the lad and us it all comes down to the quality thing again we don't have it! Bell imo has been over hyped because of his father and the club being vein so they can say look how amazing we are we give players a chance he wouldn't be playing in any other team in this division goings off his showings.

Edited by BCFC31
  • Like 4
  • Confused 2
  • Hmmm 1
  • Robin 1

He's not really an LW though, is he? He's definitely not a LWB. Doesn't really suit a front three, would be better in a two. Personally, I think he's pretty disciplined and follows instructions well, tracks back etc.

Needs to show a bit more individual footballing intelligence and know when not to follow team structure and play his own style. I think what he really wants (playing in the position he is LW/LF) is to cut inside and shoot with his right. He needs to realise if he goes on the outside more often it will actually stop the FB and CB's from being constantly ready for him to cut inside. 

I think he does find space well and get on the ball just needs to do more with it. 

Despite all that's been said about how good Manning is at working with young players, I don't think he actually trusts when there is 3 Championship points on the line. 

During Pearsons time here I commented that Pearson didn't care about his own record so was therefore willing to play youngsters. 

Mannings comments in the week about Yeboah were interesting. 

1 minute ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Despite all that's been said about how good Manning is at working with young players, I don't think he actually trusts when there is 3 Championship points on the line. 

During Pearsons time here I commented that Pearson didn't care about his own record so was therefore willing to play youngsters. 

Mannings comments in the week about Yeboah were interesting. 

Missed that. What did he say? 

I think he's believing his own hype with the International call up. I just can't see what he gives the team. I've said it before, under Pearson's pacey counter attacking style, that suits Sam Bell. Manning's posession based style negates this and shows up his lack of technical close ball control ability which is needed to play this way. With his game he runs off the shoulder and is generally a good finisher. With his back to goal he offers nothing.

• Flames 1

When he originally got in the team he did look quick. Regularly beating defenders to the by line.
Recently, and more so today he looked like he'd lost a yard and was struggling. Not just that tracking back he looked like he was plodding along at barely a jog. 

5 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

When he originally got in the team he did look quick. Regularly beating defenders to the by line.
Recently, and more so today he looked like he'd lost a yard and was struggling. Not just that tracking back he looked like he was plodding along at barely a jog. 

He was new, defenders hadn’t sussed him out.  Now they have!

It’s why you get things like “second season syndrome”.

To a much lesser extent we are seeing that with Pring.  He’s still playing fine, just not as devastating as he was last season.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Swede said:

I think he's believing his own hype with the International call up. I just can't see what he gives the team. I've said it before, under Pearson's pacey counter attacking style, that suits Sam Bell. Manning's posession based style negates this and shows up his lack of technical close ball control ability which is needed to play this way. With his game he runs off the shoulder and is generally a good finisher. With his back to goal he offers nothing.

Don't like that comment at all. I can see why people are debating whether he's good enough etc, but nothing about Sam suggests he has that kind of attitude at all. 

Edited by BCFC Rich
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 3

19 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

He was new, defenders hadn’t sussed him out.  Now they have!

It’s why you get things like “second season syndrome”.

To a much lesser extent we are seeing that with Pring.  He’s still playing fine, just not as devastating as he was last season.

I get what you're saying , and to an extent you may be right , but by eye Bell looks yards slower. Pring is finding new challenges but against all but the real quickest he still looks quick.
Bell looked like he was treading water at times today.  
Be interesting to see if he keeps his place when Roberts is back fit.

Edited by 1960maaan

4 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

I get what you're saying , and to an extent you may be right , but eye Bell looks yards slower. Pring is finding new challenges but against all but the real quickest he still looks quick.
Bell looked like he was treading water at times today.  
Be interesting to see if he keeps his place when Roberts is back fit.

If I was being hyper critical I’d say he wasn’t running as hard towards his own goal as he does when he attacks.

Watch Wednesday’s winner v Blackburn last week.  Windass on the break, Szmodics chasing back doesn’t catch him. Surely Szmodics catches a man dribbling?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

If I was being hyper critical I’d say he wasn’t running as hard towards his own goal as he does when he attacks.

Watch Wednesday’s winner v Blackburn last week.  Windass on the break, Szmodics chasing back doesn’t catch him. Surely Szmodics catches a man dribbling?

I'd say you were bang on, frustrating and annoying as today specially, it was part of his job.

If Bell was one of Pearson’s signings, he’d be slagged off as a shit signing IMO. Because he’s homegrown, many people give him an easy ride. For me, he isn’t good enough and never will be at this level. I hope he proves me wrong but I’ve seen enough of him to think he’s too lightweight, offers Pring little protection, can’t cross and seldom beats his man. But he’s the best at the club in the bleep test? So what. He needs to step up in the next 6-12 months or be shipped out. 

• Like 2
  • Hmmm 1

I think it's very much a case of "Second Season Syndrome". Analysts and Managers have worked him out and the trick for a young player in that situation is work hard and improve your game to overcome that.............if you have it in you. We will find out in the next six months whether Sam has got answers or whether he's a one trick pony. That's on him to sort out and no amount of bluster from the Tecknical Director changes that. I hope he does but he wouldn't be the first young player ever who can't.

Bell has suffered from being caught up in the hype surrounding other young players. Fans were too generous to him before, and are being too harsh on him now.

Bell came into the team at a time when we were amazed by the talent of Scott, Semenyo, and Conway (to a lesser extent). He was swept up in the hype surrounding this trio, and often tacked on to the end of the list as our 4th talented youngster. However, Bell has never quite looked to be at the same level as the other 3 (that's more of a compliment to them than a criticism of Bell).

Over the last 12 months or so, I've often tried to calm our fans when they've become excited around Bell - especially with regard to his ability to produce for us this season. A few goals at the start of the season and expectations rose. Unfortunately, Bell's now failing to meet those increased expectations.

I don't think there's been any major decline in his performances. I just don't think he's ever looked quite as good as some fans have claimed he is. The honeymoon period of having "one of our own" in the team is wearing off, the rose tinted glasses are being taken off, and it leaves Bell looking a bit underwhelming.

Maybe he'll improve and go on to bigger things, maybe his future lies in a lower division - who knows. For the time being, we just have to accept that not every young player will be the next Scott or Semenyo, and that currently Bell isn't quite good enough to be in the starting XI of a team with top third aspirations.

• Hmmm 1

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

He scored 4 in our first 9 games, so that’s a bit of a re-write of history, isn’t it?

He’s been poor of late but let’s not start pretending that was the case earlier in the season.

Agreed, bell is lightweight and inexperienced but this will get better as time passes,, hes called up for the england under 20s, and knows where the goal is, and is in his first full season as a pro. He cost us nothing, and his first manager who gave him a chance has just gone,, im not sure what exactly people are expecting?

1 hour ago, Lrrr said:

His physical data stacks up fairly well against other quick players in the league 

What were his recovery runs today versus his forward runs like from the numbers?

36 minutes ago, Supersonic Robin said:

I don't think there's been any major decline in his performances. I just don't think he's ever looked quite as good as some fans have claimed he is. The honeymoon period of having "one of our own" in the team is wearing off, the rose tinted glasses are being taken off, and it leaves Bell looking a bit underwhelming.

that’s been my view too.  For me, he’s no Tommy Conway.

Maybe he'll improve and go on to bigger things, maybe his future lies in a lower division - who knows. For the time being, we just have to accept that not every young player will be the next Scott or Semenyo, and that currently Bell isn't quite good enough to be in the starting XI of a team with top third aspirations.

There’s quite a lot of stuff put out that all the way through their careers Sam and Tommy have been neck and neck.  That stopped being the case at first team level imho.

Still time for him to improve.  But for me he still plays an academy / youth game.

Don’t get me wrong, he’s not crap, but he’s git some work to do.

⬆️⬆️⬆️

• Like 1

Just now, Davefevs said:

What were his recovery runs today versus his forward runs like from the numbers?

Can take a good few days for games to come online, usually don't have access to forward/recover runs though, more a case of the total distance/running distance/high speed running distance/sprint distance and then the amounts of them as well as peak speed.

I must admit , Sam looked like he was running in treacle tracking back today. I’ll be surprised if he’s played in that position again . Not his fault but he’s never a wing back . 
I’m actually a bit frustrated that manning has gone to a back 3 so quickly. We haven’t got the players to play it imo & history does tell you ( im my head anyway ) a back 3 is less successful than a back 4 . In winning promotions . I know sheff Utd did it . I’m talking championship before some smart arse mentions us winning league one with 352