IGNORED

Rob Dickie

Jose

1 hour ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Brilliant. He plays like a midfielder!

Thanks for posting. 

It's like Biff's been re-incarnated. And in the yellow and green!

Blackburn, away, in December? 1990, Rob Newman wasn't it, scoring the winner? Marvellous. Perhaps @Bristol Oil Services or @punk77 could talk us through the goal? Or anyone else who was there 👍 

What a year, what a team, what a kit. 

Yes, similarities with Newman indeed. 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

• Like 1

Just now, cidercity1987 said:

I have no idea what he was up to last season for QPR fans to dislike him so much.

He is not quite Websteresque for us but certainly getting up there. I could see a lower Prem or newly promoted team being interested in the summer.

Should have no trouble keeping him here, to play for us then. (Just ask Jon / Tins).

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, cidercity1987 said:

He is not quite Websteresque for us but certainly getting up there. I could see a lower Prem or newly promoted team being interested in the summer.

It's one of the areas of the team where we've done quite well in terms of recruitment. Central defenders who are comfortable on the ball, can bring it out of defence and pick a pass are are big asset. Both Atkinson and Naysmith are good, but Dickie is by some distance the best since Webster and really not far at all below Adam in ability, judging from what we've seen up to now. Player of the season so far for me, without a shadow of doubt. If he maintains this form he will attract offers and based on the experience of recent seasons it will surprise nobody if we cash in. Enjoy him while you can: the ownership is probably already speculating as to how much they can add to the nest egg. Selling your best players - it's what we do. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, CliftonCliff said:

It's one of the areas of the team where we've done quite well in terms of recruitment. Central defenders who are comfortable on the ball, can bring it out of defence and pick a pass are are big asset. Both Atkinson and Naysmith are good, but Dickie is by some distance the best since Webster and really not far at all below Adam in ability, judging from what we've seen up to now. Player of the season so far for me, without a shadow of doubt. If he maintains this form he will attract offers and based on the experience of recent seasons it will surprise nobody if we cash in. Enjoy him while you can: the ownership is probably already speculating as to how much they can add to the nest egg. Selling your best players - it's what we do. 

I'm hoping that has changed a bit now the financial emergency risk has passed and the reset has been mostly done.

5 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Brilliant. He plays like a midfielder!

Thanks for posting. 

It's like Biff's been re-incarnated. And in the yellow and green!

Blackburn, away, in December? 1990, Rob Newman wasn't it, scoring the winner? Marvellous. Perhaps @Bristol Oil Services or @punk77 could talk us through the goal? Or anyone else who was there 👍 

What a year, what a team, what a kit. 

I think we dropped @77 punk off at the Hacienda after that one so his recall might be sketchy. Think he and that @EnclosureSurge and @Bez/Deano spent the next 36 hours there. Not sure the Hacienda was ever the same, not sure @77 punk ever made it quite back from there, either. Although, I believe the Hacienda is no longer with us while @77 punk is due Many Happy Returns tomorrow. 

Happy Birthday @77punk

8 hours ago, Rocking Red Cyril said:

So have the new tactics effected, in a detrimental way, some positions and not others. Or is it just down to individual form or are a number if players just not able to play the Manning way. Which will need players in and out in January.  Which if our transfer/wage budget is Zero. Causes SL a real problem. And surely counteracts any sensible reason to sack NP. And if SL and his suits feel we have currently a top six squad why bring a new manager in who will need changes to the squad to be successful.

The more and more You go into all this. This is just a backward move to sack NP and have a new manager who needs to start again with the Squad.

I be there cheering our boys on Saturday. But I really worried we could be going into a not good finish to the season. And January is going to be a sit back and see who goes and comes 

It's totally speculation to say that the tactics have had a detrimental affect on any of the players. Its really not easy to gauge. We've had more possession, more shots, testing the keeper more, but at the same time we've had some calamitous defending and we're getting edged out of games. Anybody's guess, re Manning's culpability, but he's in the kitchen so he's got to deal with the heat.

On your point about the sensible reason for sacking Nige (or lack thereof), there never was one.

It was a poor sacking, but I'm not convinced that it was a poor appointment... at this early stage...

9 hours ago, 2015 said:

I hope the geezer behind me in the South Stand who slags Dickie off all game reads this thread, the absolute dimwit..

Dickie has been a great player for us ever since the Birmingham home game. My player of the season so far.

There's always (at least) one moron,they spend the game watching the ball!

7 hours ago, cidercity1987 said:

I have no idea what he was up to last season for QPR fans to dislike him so much.

I’m not sure he was disliked there, more that he completely lost all form & confidence in a side that went on a terrible run.

Maybe he just needed a change of scene? I just don’t see it happening here even if we struggle, he is a key player for us.

5 hours ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

I think we dropped @77 punk off at the Hacienda after that one so his recall might be sketchy. Think he and that @EnclosureSurge and @Bez/Deano spent the next 36 hours there. Not sure the Hacienda was ever the same, not sure @77 punk ever made it quite back from there, either. Although, I believe the Hacienda is no longer with us while @77 punk is due Many Happy Returns tomorrow. 

Happy Birthday @77punk

Good lord.

As if an away win at "the famous Blackburn Rovers" (attendance that day 7000) with an attacking team flying high on the wings of promotion and Super Bob wasn't enough of a thrill.

They then go to the house of thrills and pills and bellyaches for more of the same.

Have they come down, yet? Great times!

Shame about the January that followed, it probably cost us the play offs.

Happy birthday @77 punk!

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

I’m not sure he was disliked there, more that he completely lost all form & confidence in a side that went on a terrible run.

Maybe he just needed a change of scene? I just don’t see it happening here even if we struggle, he is a key player for us.

I think it was exactly that. My mate never said a bad word about him as a player, just that he didn't look the same as the previous season. Then again the fans weren't enjoying the football, let alone the players.

1 minute ago, Back of the Dolman said:

Was it just me or did he not seem as comfortable on the ball today as he has recently?

Defensively pretty solid but I thought the pace and movement of the Sunderland front men today unsettled him.

Maybe. They pressed pretty high though so he wasnt given much time on the ball as usual. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Back of the Dolman said:

Was it just me or did he not seem as comfortable on the ball today as he has recently?

Defensively pretty solid but I thought the pace and movement of the Sunderland front men today unsettled him.

He was just unusually jittery today. Second half was more solid but he didn't get on the ball much.

• Like 1

Just now, Port Said Red said:

Rob A hoping to be in contention just after the West Ham game.... 

Good news, I wonder what Mannings

preferred CB pairing will be ? I like Vyner, Dickie and Atkinson.

Plus theres Naismith who I think makes us a better side with his passing.

They can’t all play or maybe we’ll look at a back 3.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Back of the Dolman said:

Yes agree. Nowhere near the heights of his performance on Tuesday but, as you say, he dug in defensively. So pleased we got a clean sheet today. 

• Like 1

Dickie has been a very very good signing! Not sure why QPR let him go and why their fans seemed so unbothered at the fact he was leaving. Him and Vyner at the back looks like it could be a great pairing for years to come provided they’re not snapped up by another club. I’d still have Vyner as number one on the team sheet for me though, his leadership and athleticism is key. Having Dickie, Vyner and Atkinson fit for the remainder of the season could determine where we finish I think. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Back of the Dolman said:

Sunderland played really well and put plenty of pressure on City throughout the entire game and Dickie, Vyner and of course star man O’Leary we’re all solid but neither CB had much time with the ball at their feet due to the S’land press and it wasn’t just RD who looked unsettled at times.

Dickie certainly was a very decent signing.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, mozo said:

He was just unusually jittery today. Second half was more solid but he didn't get on the ball much.

Neither did any other City player! Sunderland kept up the pressure better than any other side we've had so far this season. With their pace and quick passing, there wasn't much time to breathe let alone play keep ball. So every City player on the park did the best they could to just keep our slender lead. And keep it they did.

I know that we have to develop a way to keep more possession but three points today was so much more important than some pretty passing by anyone.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 14/12/2023 at 18:37, mozo said:

It was a poor sacking, but I'm not convinced that it was a poor appointment... at this early stage...

That's a good way of putting it tbh.

What I would say, though, is that whatever Manning does (and I certainly hope it's succeeding because the alternative doesn't help us) I'm not so sure we'll be playing the way Sid hinted at when Nige was carted out!! If front foot, high octane, attacking football is your thing you won't be going overboard on this Manager imo.

I also wonder what Jon and Sid think when they talk about "top end/6 squads" and then watch that "Low Q, High Effort" performance yesterday? Do they seriously think Manning isn't getting the best out of them by beating a decent Sunderland side or have they reflected and concluded that their comments were plain stupid and unbecoming of competent practitioners of the positions they hold in the club? If they still genuinely believe the shit they spouted do Manning and Hogg get called into the office on Monday to explain why we were second best in pretty much every attacking metric except the only one that matters?

I also wonder what Sid's view is of the Academy situation now? Minutes for younger Academy lads are now undeniably drying up which is ironic given the childish Andy King comments (a player we would love to at least have available right now). Was that in the plan?

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

That's a good way of putting it tbh.

What I would say, though, is that whatever Manning does (and I certainly hope it's succeeding because the alternative doesn't help us) I'm not so sure we'll be playing the way Sid hinted at when Nige was carted out!! If front foot, high octane, attacking football is your thing you won't be going overboard on this Manager imo.

I also wonder what Jon and Sid think when they talk about "top end/6 squads" and then watch that "Low Q, High Effort" performance yesterday? Do they seriously think Manning isn't getting the best out of them by beating a decent Sunderland side or have they reflected and concluded that their comments were plain stupid and unbecoming of competent practitioners of the positions they hold in the club? If they still genuinely believe the shit they spouted do Manning and Hogg get called into the office on Monday to explain why we were second best in pretty much every attacking metric except the only one that matters?

I also wonder what Sid's view is of the Academy situation now? Minutes for younger Academy lads are now undeniably drying up which is ironic given the childish Andy King comments (a player we would love to at least have available right now). Was that in the plan?

Agree, and re @mozo’s original post you replied to, I honestly believe Manning is “genuine”, ie he’s not spouting BS, that he totally believes what he is saying, it’s based on many years coaching.  Getting City to play that way is a different matter, but I don’t think he’s a bluffer.  And I get that his press interviews are a bit dull, not Friday’s was pretty informative if you’re prepared to listen.

The main problems are “above”.

Id like to hear Hogg do some of the interviews, as I’d like to hear what he has to say and how he says things.

• Like 4