IGNORED

Do we have a top six squad.. (Just to gauge the current fanbases opinion of Tinnions and the board's recent claims...)

Bris Red

Do we have a top six squad (as claimed by Tinnion and jon)  

356 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

41 minutes ago, westonred said:

The Easy Answer is NO: The squad is far too small for Championship football and made up of young lads who are not championship standard (Yet) They should be out on loan not sitting on the bench never getting gametime it could be harming their careers They are just being used to make up the numbers I believe we need 3 or 4 Championship quality players brought in in Jan (but thats never going to happen) 1 Big Target Man Striker 1 fox in the box Striker 1 Hard Man Midfielder and 1 Creative goal scoring midfielder

And that will cost serious ££££, so do we need to go down the loan route?

7 hours ago, Harry said:

They also said this is the best squad they’ve had in years. 
I’d argue it was better just 10 months ago when it still had Semenyo & Scott. 
The 15/16, 16/17 & 17/18 team beats this one 10 times out of 10. 
I honestly don’t know what planet they’re on. 

One sure sign of someone lacking in intelligence is to treat those with intelligence as if they were the ones without intelligence. Even our thickest,  knuckle dragging supporters didn't buy the top 6 line.

If Manning has anything about him he will have realised by now that the players are less of an issue than the people he has to manage upwards. 

• Like 2

No we do not, we should never have sacked Nigel, not now anyway, he deserved the rest of the season minimum. Performances with a fit squad were very good, he had a 17 year old debutant at a Derby game for goodness sake. What more could he have done? Quite frankly Tinnion judgement is in question here, clearly has strong influence despite his disastrous spell as manager, the person who brought us G Smith, M Heywood and T Dinning running football ops gives me a shudder! And yes I was at the 5.0 to Luton and 7.1 to Swansea, it was dreadful! 

Do Ipswich have a top two/auto promoted squad? Do Preston have a top seven squad? Did Luton have a top six squad?

It's unlikely that we will ever start a Championship season in August with, on paper, a top six squad, like many other of the clubs that managed to win promotion from this level whilst not being a PP club.

I suppose JL's looking for us to out-perform our limitations because there's no other way we can ever be successful at this level, and therefore no other way of flogging the club for a price they are wanting.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

Do Ipswich have a top two/auto promoted squad? Do Preston have a top seven squad? Did Luton have a top six squad?

It's unlikely that we will ever start a Championship season in August with, on paper, a top six squad, like many other of the clubs that managed to win promotion from this level whilst not being a PP club.

I suppose JL's looking for us to out-perform our limitations because there's no other way we can ever be successful at this level, and therefore no other way of flogging the club for a price they are wanting.

He is looking for that but he is clueless as to how that is achieved, hence the decision to remove the manager most likely to achieve it and replace with someone still very much learning his trade.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, beaverface said:

Be interesting to see if they break the wage structure that NP established just to save face 

Top 6 squad? Not right now.

Talking of signings if things continue as they are I wouldnt be surprised if Lansdown put Tinnion sideways and brought in an experienced older manager as DoF as their prime signing. That way Manning may be told to play a different way without any of the shithouses having to do it. If he didnt like it he might resign on principle and a possible constructive dismissal claim could follow although that might be cheaper than any sacking. 

Just a thought.

29 minutes ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

But Ipswich, Preston or Luton are not the comparator. 
Our wise men said we have a top 6 squad. The best they’ve seen in years. 
They didn’t say “we’ve got a good squad and with a fair wind we could make a tilt at the playoffs”. 
If they’d said that, many may have been in agreement. 
But they said it was top end and the best they’ve seen! Which is quite clearly either a huge lie, or worse, total naivety. 

• Like 4
  • Flames 1

38 minutes ago, The Bard said:

My fear is that they panic and waste the Scott money in late January with our first Overpaid bluffer signing since Johnson's era. 

Massive concern of mine also with the current set up.  Really really hope they don’t go down this route.   We need to think long term.  This squad are more than good enough for mid table (I would’ve been disappointed with anything less than 10th this year) and there is no need to spunk a load of cash on nonsense.  

• Like 1

Nowhere near a top 6 squad. it’s easier to see us battling at the bottom than anywhere near the top 6. People saying we can compete are delusional. Yeah we work hard, but isn’t that the requirement for every team, every week in every league? The people at the top got rid of the one person who was making progress here. Just because he wasn’t a yes man and had his own ideas. Sad state of affairs at City now and I can only see this ending in tears. Just a real shame that the people running this club have no football knowledge or awareness at all.

I've voted no but I will add, if Pearson was still in place I feel we may have had an outside chance. The change of football, tactics and very strange substitutions have pushed my vote very much deep down into the no. I'd say that of our squad 3-4 players who had found a place in Pearsons team/squad due to his ability to work a tactic that protected them against their weaknesses and play to their strengths are now likely to stagnate in our squad, one of which extended his contract meaning he'll probably be hard to shift. 
Sacking Pearson was one of the clubs worst decisions since I was a young boy which is saying a lot but ontop of that they now need to double down on Manning  as his style will not work with these players so they need to invest money into changing players, essentially they've shot themselves in the foot as per usual and now we're in for a long rebuild, one that will most likely end with us buying a few, selling a few and then Manning leaving putting us in a state of a full rebuild again as we'll need to build around the manager who replaces Manning. 
I think it'll be a long while before we see old Brian on twitter again.

• Like 1

Part of me feels sorry for BT, because I think the Lansdowns have used him as a pawn so when things go wrong, like with Johnson and Ashton he'll get the blame. Don't get me wrong, I think BT has been very snakey in how he acted around NP being sacked, but I think it's worth noting that Lansdowns have a history of using someone else as their excuse.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, OneTeamInBristol said:

Knight, Dickie, Sykes, Vyner and maybe Pring would be regular starters in other top half Championship teams.

The rest of our squad are very bang average Championship players currently, obviously the youngsters can improve.

I know this is not a true or scientific marker, but if we purely look at value on Transfermkt this says those names are ranked as follows :

Knight - 22nd highest rated midfielder 

Dickie - 32nd highest rated centre back

Vyner - 35th highest rated centre back

Sykes - 23rd highest rated right winger

Pring - 26th highest rated left back

As I have caveated, this is not strictly a true marker; but is based on their current perceived value. 

But for context, if we’re talking top 6, these players would be considered amongst the best 6 players in the league. 

For Pring, is he better than Vinagre, Brandon Williams, Leif Davis, Josh Tymon, Jamal Lewis, Ryan Manning, Sam McCallum to name but a few. 

For Dickie & Vyner, are they better than Harwood-Bellis, Faes, Struijk, Bednarek, Soutter, Coady, Holgate, Vestergaard, Rodon, Cabango to name but a few. 

For Knight, is he better than Dewsbury-Hall, Sara, Alcaraz; Patino, Downes, Grimes, Kamara, Neil, Wharton, Smallbone, Winks, Ampadu, Ndidi, Travis, Sheaf, Pearson to name but a few. 

For Sykes, is he better than Summerville, Wallace, Diangana, Jones, Roberts, Bowler, Lowe, Dolan to name but a few. 

In my opinion, the answer to all of the above is no. 
Others may have a different opinion. But I’m hugely convinced and supremely confident that none of those you mention are in the top 6 bracket of best players in this league. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Harry said:

I know this is not a true or scientific marker, but if we purely look at value on Transfermkt this says those names are ranked as follows :

As I have caveated, this is not strictly a true marker; but is based on their current perceived value. 

But for context, if we’re talking top 6, these players would be considered amongst the best 6 players in the league. 

For Pring, is he better than Vinagre, Brandon Williams, Leif Davis, Josh Tymon, Jamal Lewis, Ryan Manning, Sam McCallum to name but a few. 

For Dickie & Vyner, are they better than Harwood-Bellis, Faes, Struijk, Bednarek, Soutter, Coady, Holgate, Vestergaard, Rodon, Cabango to name but a few. 

For Knight, is he better than Dewsbury-Hall, Sara, Alcaraz; Patino, Downes, Grimes, Kamara, Neil, Wharton, Smallbone, Winks, Ampadu, Ndidi, Travis, Sheaf, Pearson to name but a few. 

For Sykes, is he better than Summerville, Wallace, Diangana, Jones, Roberts, Bowler, Lowe, Dolan to name but a few. 

Others may have a different opinion. But I’m hugely convinced and supremely confident that none of those you mention are in the top 6 bracket of best players in this league. 

Be interesting to see how the Ipswich team fairs on that list. I think we need 4 players who will come and play the majority of the games, starters, not squad players. 

6 minutes ago, Harry said:

Yes I agree with you, I didn't say any of them would be in the top 6 bracket of best players in the league.

Your figures pretty much back up my point that they would be regular starters in top half Championship sides.

If you assume each of the 12 top half clubs need at least 2 centre midfielder starters for example then Knight at 22nd highest rated would fit in there.

3 minutes ago, OneTeamInBristol said:

Yes I agree with you, I didn't say any of them would be in the top 6 bracket of best players in the league.

Your figures pretty much back up my point that they would be regular starters in top half Championship sides.

If you assume each of the 12 top half clubs need at least 2 centre midfielder starters for example then Knight at 22nd highest rated would fit in there.

Yep. It’s a mid table squad. 
Which is what most people know. 
Except the naive bozo’s in charge. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Rob k said:

Be interesting to see how the Ipswich team fairs on that list. I think we need 4 players who will come and play the majority of the games, starters, not squad players. 

Re Ipswich. 
The following players of theirs rank higher than the same positions as ours :

Tuanzabe, Williams, Davis, Hutchinson, Broadhead, Burns, Clarke.  
Harness, Chaplin, Hurst are similar levels. 

Probably quite accurate I’d argue. 

• Like 1