IGNORED

Do we have a top six squad.. (Just to gauge the current fanbases opinion of Tinnions and the board's recent claims...)

Bris Red

Do we have a top six squad (as claimed by Tinnion and jon)  

356 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

3 minutes ago, Harry said:

Re Ipswich. 
The following players of theirs rank higher than the same positions as ours :

Tuanzabe, Williams, Davis, Hutchinson, Broadhead, Burns, Clarke.  
Harness, Chaplin, Hurst are similar levels. 

Probably quite accurate I’d argue. 

Shows they recruited well then and had a squad good enough to keep the momentum going with a solid coach behind them. I’m surprised to see them doing as well as they are (record points for this stage of the season) but they show no signs of slowing down. 

33 minutes ago, TommyD68 said:

Much closer to a relegation standard of squad rather than play offs 

Tbf reflecting on this I think we have a number of players who could move onto another club and comfortably play in a team pushing for top 6. Such as Knight, Vyner, Dickie, James and Sykes. Outside of those players I’m struggling to name anyone who would improve most squads. I would have said Conway but on current form he is struggling a little.. I still think there’s a great player in there though. 

1 hour ago, 2015 said:

Part of me feels sorry for BT, because I think the Lansdowns have used him as a pawn so when things go wrong, like with Johnson and Ashton he'll get the blame. Don't get me wrong, I think BT has been very snakey in how he acted around NP being sacked, but I think it's worth noting that Lansdowns have a history of using someone else as their excuse.

I think there is a lot more to NP's so called "sacking" than meets the eye.  Doubt we will ever know exactly the circumstances.

2 minutes ago, TommyD68 said:

Tbf reflecting on this I think we have a number of players who could move onto another club and comfortably play in a team pushing for top 6. Such as Knight, Vyner, Dickie, James and Sykes. Outside of those players I’m struggling to name anyone who would improve most squads. I would have said Conway but on current form he is struggling a little.. I still think there’s a great player in there though. 

Pushing for top 6 and actually ‘being’ top 6 are two very different things. 
As noted earlier, I don’t actually think any of those you name do actually rank in the higher echelons of this league, but could be in teams “pushing for” a playoff spot. 
But again, as said earlier; that’s not what we’ve been ‘sold’ by the 3 wise men. They didn’t set expectations of “pushing for”, they said this was “top end”, “best squad we’ve had”. 
The truth and the fiction - as I’ve said. Truth is : mid table squad possibly capable of a playoff push with a fair wind and few slices of luck. 
Fiction : Top end squad expecting a promotion push (“otherwise why make the change now” as JL said). 

• Like 1

Our hierarchy are just so stupid aren't they.

We were laying some solid foundations, as Dave said injecting some next level quality under NP had he been backed would've been the best step.

Putting that aside, no we don't have a top 6 squad. We could if injuries were minimal have pushed at top 10, dunno whether that is possible now and if maybe things went really well and we got on a roll had an outside tilt at 6th.

Some big caveats in there but fundamentally a midtable squad but can push a big further work luck and a lack of injuries.

10 hours ago, Bris Red said:

I agree, 100%.

I know the Championship was a different landscape back in 07/08 but the principles remain the same IMO. We punched above our weight that year through grit and determination and players that wanted to give everything for the shirt under GJ. 

For me it just felt like Nige was building that sort of 07/08 siege mentality that we had under GJ and with a bit of financial help i personally feel we were heading for the playoffs at a minimum. Maybe not this season but certainly next. Hugely frustrating isn't it.

5 hours ago, Davefevs said:

⬇️⬇️⬇️

Yep, the next stage of the plan was to start to inject that bit of quality.

Exactly above. 

I am still overwhelmed by the mind numbing stupidity of what Jon Boy has done. The nonsensical comments by The Boy wonder and his partner in crime The Tinman regarding the paying off of Nigel Pearson will be remembered long into the future! 

I can see a mural in the Dolman of Pearson on crutches being stabbed in the back by By Boy Wonder and Tinman. All wearing Togas. 

Nice to have an imagination sometimes!

5 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

Exactly above. 

I am still overwhelmed by the mind numbing stupidity of what Jon Boy has done. The nonsensical comments by The Boy wonder and his partner in crime The Tinman regarding the paying off of Nigel Pearson will be remembered long into the future! 

I can see a mural in the Dolman of Pearson on crutches being stabbed in the back by By Boy Wonder and Tinman. All wearing Togas. 

Nice to have an imagination sometimes!

Jon, Brian and Gavlar will want it painted at the top end of the wall but the artist will suggest that it’s better in the middle. 😁

21 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Our hierarchy are just so stupid aren't they.

We were laying some solid foundations, as Dave said injecting some next level quality under NP had he been backed would've been the best step.

Putting that aside, no we don't have a top 6 squad. We could if injuries were minimal have pushed at top 10, dunno whether that is possible now and if maybe things went really well and we got on a roll had an outside tilt at 6th.

Some big caveats in there but fundamentally a midtable squad but can push a big further work luck and a lack of injuries.

Personally I would have been saying ,

Right Nige , thanks for the work you’ve done , now let’s move on to the next stage of a plan , here’s a new two year contract extension , there’s a healthy and increased , but sensible wage and transfer budget to work with over next two years , and let’s see where we are in 12 months and in 24.....

Oh , and thanks to the work you’ve done with RG in reducing the spend , and the money you helped the club save , I want to express my appreciation by paying for any treatment you need for your back

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

Personally I would have been saying ,

Right Nige , thanks for the work you’ve done , now let’s move on to the next stage of a plan , here’s a new two year contract extension , there’s a healthy and increased , but sensible wage and transfer budget to work with over next two years , and let’s see where we are in 12 months and in 24.....

Oh , and thanks to the work you’ve done with RG in reducing the spend , and the money you helped the club save , I want to express my appreciation by paying for any treatment you need for your back

I was leaning towards a new 3 year deal post this season but yeah broadly agree with this post.

More to spend under NP would've been the sensible and suitable next phase and see how it goes year by year.

Last paragraph too, yeah- as well as stupid and unwilling and unable to see that they were onto a good thing, so ungrateful by the hierarchy.

10 hours ago, westonred said:

The Easy Answer is NO: The squad is far too small for Championship football and made up of young lads who are not championship standard (Yet) They should be out on loan not sitting on the bench never getting gametime it could be harming their careers They are just being used to make up the numbers I believe we need 3 or 4 Championship quality players brought in in Jan (but thats never going to happen) 1 Big Target Man Striker 1 fox in the box Striker 1 Hard Man Midfielder and 1 Creative goal scoring midfielder

Every window we seem to need these same players.

• Like 2

I don't believe we have a top 6 squad no. It will be interesting to see what happens in January with regards to new players coming in. Players don't want to be involved in a relegation scrap too, and January is always over inflated for players price wise. Clubs also know we have the Scott money so will they inflate the price when try and sign someone. 

21 hours ago, Bris Red said:

sound lads just wanted to confirm it in black and white, we are being taken for absolutely mugs aren't we 🤣 Lansdowns out..

Good idea........let's get rid of the billionaire chairman who has ploughed millions into our club....and form a worker's co-operative?   Educate yourself......I don't believe you are being taken for a mug, as i think you might have already arrived?