IGNORED

Tins - What have you done...

glynriley

8 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

He’s in a position way over his head. It’s ridiculous really 

I posted before how I felt that he had done magnificently to rebuild his career here after his failed management career. Not many get the chance to do that. 

With the academy stuff, you can't fault him. Fantastic job. Even when he took on a role that was similar to head of recruitment, again brilliant job. 

That was his ceiling. He had a job for life doing that. But he got greedy, he got power hungry. Probably some sort of hangover from being a failed manager. He is not a technical director. It's one promotion too many. 

If this goes badly, the Lansdowns won't take the fall for it. They will allow him to take the blame for it and he'll be gone. 

• Like 11

Brian was a great player for us and has proved to be a great recruiter and developer of young players. It made perfect sense to promote him because there must be succession in the club and those under him can benefit from his great experience. The analysts who come up with potential names for recruits for the first team squad can also benefit from his experience and judgement.  I very much doubt if it was Brian who was responsible for us losing Nige and his team. Some of the comments on here are maybe a trifle unfair. I would wager a few bob on the culprits being JL and the bean counter, who may have come up with a great wheeze to sack expensive staff and to replace them with cheaper options.  Never mind the quality, just feel the reduction in width!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Galley is our king said:

With regard to the "steady stream" of academy players ready for the first team remember, he only became academy in October 2021. Before that it was Gary Probert who was nicked by Swiss.

He was academy loans manager before that....

Quite. The people who really deserve the credit are all the age group coaches who are "out on the grass", every day, actually doing the coaching.

Tbf, Tinnion did reference them at the last fans forum but even so.

He sacked a manager for not being "out on the grass" but is happy to take the credit for our academy even though it's not him "out on the grass" doing the coaching.

You couldn't make it up.     

Edited by Merrick's Marvels
  • Like 4
  • Flames 3

30 minutes ago, headhunter said:

The owner said in 2004 when appointing him as manager, "...judge me on Tinnion".  Who'd have thought 20 years later we'd be back to this!!!

In hindsight it really isn’t such a surprise.

If there is another owner & chairman out there who understand the world of football less than our two I’m really not sure who they are.

Taken for fools by Mark Ashton & now placing their faith in someone who failed badly in his only (third division) managerial gig & is so obviously over promoted in his role it is untrue.

A Director of Football who is embarrassingly inarticulate & parrots simple stock phrases, dear oh dear.

”Be careful what you wish for, we could have Vincent Tan, etc, etc”..

• Like 7
  • Flames 4

54 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

He’s in a position way over his head. It’s ridiculous really 

Ridiculous. And yet thoroughly, depressingly predictable. 

The Lansdowns track record favouring familiarity over capability is astounding when you stop to think about it.

I'm still frequently baffled thinking how was SL so successful in business with that kind of decision making 

• Like 6
  • Flames 2

5 minutes ago, Bernard Lerring said:

The Lansdowns track record favouring familiarity over capability is astounding when you stop to think about it.

I'm still frequently baffled thinking how was SL so successful in business with that kind of decision making 

He was successful at Hargreaves Lansdown because, as the company grew, there was a proper structure with the right people appointed to make the key decisions. Steve Lansdown and Peter Hargreaves had ultimate control but they didn’t make the big decisions in isolation. This was all done at a slightly lower level. The link below shows the current structure. This is obviously different to when SL was there, as things have moved on, but the principle was the same. All the people in the senior roles were recruited because they had financial management experience. (It’s interesting that there is, as expected, a risk committee - something lacking at City) 

When Steve Lansdown took over at City he forgot all he had learned in the business world and decided he didn’t really need any help as he knew everything. I can remember, when he spoke to supporters in a pub before an away match, he said he liked a committee of one - himself. When this didn’t work he went to the opposite course of action and delegated everything to Mark Ashton without any governance. Now MA has gone he’s implemented plan C with Brian Tinnion and Jon Lansdown making the decision. Two people lacking in the skills required to do the job. 

https://www.hl.co.uk/about-us/board-of-directors

• Like 5
  • Robin 1

36 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

In hindsight it really isn’t such a surprise.

If there is another owner & chairman out there who understand the world of football less than our two I’m really not sure who they are.

Taken for fools by Mark Ashton & now placing their faith in someone who failed badly in his only (third division) managerial gig & is so obviously over promoted in his role it is untrue.

A Director of Football who is embarrassingly inarticulate & parrots simple stock phrases, dear oh dear.

”Be careful what you wish for, we could have Vincent Tan, etc, etc”..

The worrying thing is that the last time Steve decided to hollow out the structure of the club and leave Jon & friends in charge was the McInnes era (he was a Jon "pick"), which eventually led to us being relegated. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Kid in the Riot said:

The worrying thing is that the last time Steve decided to hollow out the structure of the club and leave Jon & friends in charge was the McInnes era (he was a Jon "pick"), which eventually led to us being relegated. 

At least he didn’t bring in football-man Mark Ashton until Dec 2014 under Cotts!

Oh shit, wait, you saying he was here under McInnes as a consultant! 🫣🫣🫣

Who is he bringing in this time?

34 minutes ago, Bernard Lerring said:

Because he was in an industry he understood.

This “it was all Hargreaves” stuff is nonsense, they were a partnership, a team.

He understands the finance industry, he hasn’t a clue about the football one.

• Like 7

34 minutes ago, Bernard Lerring said:

Because he doesn't run the football club like a business. 

He runs it as a vanity project for friends & family. 

• Like 8
  • Sad 1
  • Flames 1

2 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Because he was in an industry he understood.

This “it was all Hargreaves” stuff is nonsense, they were a partnership, a team.

He understands the finance industry, he hasn’t a clue about the football one.

The reason I don't buy this reasoning is because he has now been in the football industry for nearly 30 years. There's no excuse for not being able to make competent decisions for the football club by now. It may have been an excuse in 2003, but not in 2023.

• Like 9
  • Flames 2

3 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

The reason I don't buy this reasoning is because he has now been in the football industry for nearly 30 years. There's no excuse for not being able to make competent decisions for the football club by now. It may have been an excuse in 2003, but not in 2023.

We’re all guessing, aren’t we?

My reasoning is SL was far more humble & on the way up when he made his finance fortune.

His time in football has largely been characterised by a superior attitude & that he thinks he knows it all.

It might be inexcusable but it is the case, he’s still completely clueless.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, glynriley said:

A wonderful player (some might say a legend), highly thought of as the leader of the academy, producing a steady stream of good young players coming through into the first team. All going well, and you had the respect of the fans.

Then you and the Chairman, it would seem, have cooked up an idea to rid the club of all the experience, Alexander, Pearson & Fleming, to employ an "on the grass manager" with no experience of the level.

You've lost all your credibility with a large number of fans, and gone from "Tins" to "Sid" and "The Snake". You've tarnished your legacy, and from what I gather, have now closed your twitter account. Hardly owning the decision is it?

For your, and all our sakes, I hope Manning can make a success of the job, or you will forever be remembered for this last act of skulduggery.

Et Tu Brian.

So fed up of reading these “Sid”, “Snake” and “Crayola/crayon boy” names for Tinnion and Lansdown.

The correct names are Binman, sacking of Pearson. And Pantsdown. I mean it in the following definition not in any weird sexy underwear mishap - to be caught with your pants down means to be caught unawares in a situation to which you are completely unable to respond, react, etc. This expression means much the same as being a “deer in the headlights” except that the situation of the person caught with their pants down is highly embarrassing or potentially damaging, etc.

I wonder if Pantsdown genuinely thinks hes up to the task, and has the skills, qualities and experience to lead with the Binman, as Pinky to his Brain. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

7 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

We are one of very, very, very few professional football clubs to have neither a CEO nor a Manager.

The reasons for no CEO given at the Hen Q&A were that:

We have Bristol Sport and so run as a different model to other clubs; and

Brian has sort of grown into the role of Tecknicul director 

• Sad 1
  • Facepalm 1