IGNORED

First female prem ref

CyderInACan

11 hours ago, bemmyredjeff said:

It's not really fair when she has been fast tracked through the  system when good male referees have achieved their end of season marks and continually not been considered for promotion to the next level.

I am not sure that's how this works, she is part of PGMOL's Select Group 2 who are all in line to be fast track based on performance. It has 22 referees in it and aims to quickly improve the pool of top-level refs. She will be the 4th Group 2 member to get a top-flight game and the next day Sam Allison will become the 5th. I don't think there is anything to suggest she is getting the role because she is a woman. 

• Like 2

On 15/12/2023 at 04:51, bemmyredjeff said:

It's not really fair when she has been fast tracked through the  system when good male referees have achieved their end of season marks and continually not been considered for promotion to the next level.

Yes, that's the problem with this.

They have received the promotion because they are a woman rather than upon merit.

Women who are good enough to do this would have come through anyway but pushing one through the system early is going to be counterproductive if she isn't actually up to the job.

They risk becoming the crap referee that no one wants to see listed for their game and so generating the association: woman referee = useless.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, BCFC Rich said:

I am not sure that's how this works, she is part of PGMOL's Select Group 2 who are all in line to be fast track based on performance. It has 22 referees in it and aims to quickly improve the pool of top-level refs. She will be the 4th Group 2 member to get a top-flight game and the next day Sam Allison will become the 5th. I don't think there is anything to suggest she is getting the role because she is a woman. 

I daresay you’re right on that but as always there’ll be cynics who claim it’s tokenism. However there are certainly some benefits of having a top female referee with the obvious one being player behaviour with less ‘in yer face’ antics and surrounding the match official.

I think the PGMOL deserve plenty of credit in this case.

45 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Yes, that's the problem with this.

They have received the promotion because they are a woman rather than upon merit.

Women who are good enough to do this would have come through anyway but pushing one through the system early is going to be counterproductive if she isn't actually up to the job.

They risk becoming the crap referee that no one wants to see listed for their game and so generating the association: woman referee = useless.

This isn’t true though, is it?

She’s been an EFL referee since 2021, so she is clearly thought to be a good one & she’s got a Prem game.

I can’t see how her gender plays any part in this, other (male) referees are also being moved up this quickly.

The overall refereeing standard is really poor, if we can find better referees early that’s a very good thing.

5 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

She’s been an EFL referee since 2021, so she is clearly thought to be a good one & she’s got a Prem game.

I can’t see how her gender plays any part in this, other (male) referees are also being moved up this quickly.

The overall refereeing standard is really poor, if we can find better referees early that’s a very good thing.

Fine if that actually is the case, I was relying upon the previous post as they clearly know the system of promotion for referees.

51 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Haven't seen any other referees gone from getting on the football league to the premier league in two seasons.

She has definitely been fast tracked.

27 minutes ago, Barry Sheene said:

You tell me

**** me, why are you obsessed when there is so much more important stuff in the world?

Someone who clearly knows far more about it than me, said above 4 male refs are.

Perhaps she’s really good, eh?

Perhaps having to overcome additional barriers she’s one of the best new refs?

What a thing to get worked up about with all that’s happening.

The standard is shit, trying to find a creative solution, we also fast tracked a male Aussie ref as part of the solution, unhappy with that too?

You and Joey Barton must be great mates.

• Like 1