IGNORED

Max O'Leary 1-0 Sunderland AFC

The Nest Egg

Just now, Davefevs said:

It calculated the likelihood of scoring from a shot.  Between 0 and 1.

A penalty is 0.74 (74 out of 100 are scored).

It takes lots of factors into account, e.g. position of shot, goalkeeper, defenders, header or foot, etc,

The penalty is the simplest, as the position is fixed.

Cornicks won’t even register on xG as he didn’t actually have a shot 🤣

Ah ok , I get it now . For someone like myself though who has the concentration span of a 5 year old when it comes to maths (which is what it is , isn’t it ? ) . I’ll stick to . He should of bloody buried that metric 😂 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

First mistake was in the 93rd minute when his kick out was rubbish, to be fair after the forearm smash 30 seconds earlier he was probably concussed.

Outstanding & so were all the back four in front of him.

Big win.

No first mistake was about 20 minutes in when Vyner clearly expected and wanted him to come out and claim the ball. Instead hr stayed on his line for once and Vyner got in a real mess that nearly led to a goal.

However his shot stopping was top drawer, but then so was Bentley’s and that wasn’t the reason the latter was let go. It was because Max was both cheaper and possibly had better distribution / was happy to play as a sweeper-keeper.

All that said some really good saves and ultimately the reason why we kept a clean sheet when everything suggested that they were going to roll us over quite easily. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

It calculated the likelihood of scoring from a shot.  Between 0 and 1.

A penalty is 0.74 (74 out of 100 are scored).

It takes lots of factors into account, e.g. position of shot, goalkeeper, defenders, header or foot, etc,

The penalty is the simplest, as the position is fixed.

Cornicks won’t even register on xG as he didn’t actually have a shot 🤣

The eXact spot of Bas’ finest moment 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, glynriley said:

That save in the second half, I turned to my mate and said that’s ‘David Seaman’ esque. That’s why I’ve said on another thread, for me, today’s win is all about the players.. Every single one put in a shift, even Anis…🤣

It’s about the manager as well.  If players aren’t seen to put the effort in it’s on the manager so when they do it has to be partly cos of the manager as well 

44 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

All it’s done is give a bit more of a numerical evaluation to subjective comments like “that was a gilt-edged chance”, “he’s got to score from there”, “the keeper has had a blinder today”, etc.

https://thesefootballtimes.co/2020/04/08/the-roots-of-expected-goals-xg-and-its-journey-from-nerd-nonsense-to-the-mainstream/

I don’t tend to use it in everyday football conversation, ie I never say to Joe or the bloke on the other side of me, “blimey, that was a 0.12 xg chance”, but it can be useful to debate in written forums.

It ain’t for everyone, granted.

What is a gilt edged chance?

Is a chance given the same xg mark if the same chance falls for Harry Kane or say Forest Greens forward?

Kane might put that chance away 9/10 times where as the other forward 2/10

so how can they grade it 

As said before only stat that matters is scored or not

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

18 shots, half of which were on target...but not one of Sunderland's shots were inside the 6 yard box and all those shots came to a paltry xG total of only 0.74 (early numbers).

So he was busy, very busy even, but none of those shots were actually particularly dangerous.

Still did his job well though. A good day at the office.

This is a good point as well. He managed the box well today.

Not sure what game you were watching, hell of a save this

• Like 3

2 hours ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Well done today no doubt but let’s not think 1 game makes him championship level,the same people saying that keep quiet all the other games when he is letting in shockers and constantly kicking it in the stands but today fair play 

tough crowd

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Tell it how it is mate,I’m not into he’s one of our own lark 

I agree he needs competition for his place, which he cleary isn't getting. We might be able to get a decent experienced keeper in Jan if they're coming to the end of a contract that wont be renewed.

1 hour ago, Sleepy1968 said:

I agree he needs competition for his place, which he cleary isn't getting. We might be able to get a decent experienced keeper in Jan if they're coming to the end of a contract that wont be renewed.

We are not going to fork out money for a keeper when we have youngsters struggling up front so max knows his place is safe 

4 hours ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Well done today no doubt but let’s not think 1 game makes him championship level,the same people saying that keep quiet all the other games when he is letting in shockers and constantly kicking it in the stands but today fair play 

There’s always one. Max is more than capable of being City number 1 and that’s not just based on today’s performance. I think his regular inclusion in the ROI squad speaks volumes, even if he is there as a backup gk he wouldn’t get a look in if he wasn’t championship level. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, TommyD68 said:

There’s always one. Max is more than capable of being City number 1 and that’s not just based on today’s performance. I think his regular inclusion in the ROI squad speaks volumes, even if he is there as a backup gk he wouldn’t get a look in if he wasn’t championship level. 

I like a good wind up but that is to obvious,be more subtle next time 

12 hours ago, IAmNick said:

You're using xG wrong. You can't use it to say the shots weren't dangerous, that's not how it works.

You can say the chances weren't good, but it tells you nothing about the individual shots on the day. What was TGHs xG the other day? Was it a dangerous shot?

No this is a fair criticism. 

I suppose it is the chances that were weak, but a poor change can have a good shot of come from it.

As I said, he played well.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Robbored said:

He showed very parts of good goalkeeping today from shot stopping to dominating his box. It was a top performance.

His distribution has been criticised at times and twice to today he had the opportunity to drop kick the ball up to Conway as he  started making a run but either Max didn’t see him or chose to take a safer option.

I like Max , one reason is handling and coming for crosses. The defence has been much better and more settled since he's come in as his shouts are clear and you know he will come and catch crosses. That's a massive upgrade to Bents.
Those opportunities to get Conway going were frustrating, and I said so at the time , but having calmed a little I can see things differently. One , Manning wants possession and I wonder if that is in the back of OLeary's mind because there's a good chance you lose possession with a long ball. The other thing , it's easy to see those passes are on from the stand, on the pitch through players it's not so clear.
I do think it is something to exploit though. TC had the beating of the CB's and should have been played in a few times to try it. There were other times when outfield players missed those chances , something to work on.

13 hours ago, Dr Balls said:

No first mistake was about 20 minutes in when Vyner clearly expected and wanted him to come out and claim the ball. Instead hr stayed on his line for once and Vyner got in a real mess that nearly led to a goal.

However his shot stopping was top drawer, but then so was Bentley’s and that wasn’t the reason the latter was let go. It was because Max was both cheaper and possibly had better distribution / was happy to play as a sweeper-keeper.

All that said some really good saves and ultimately the reason why we kept a clean sheet when everything suggested that they were going to roll us over quite easily. 

Not checked the extended highlights , hopefully they will put up the full game as I'd like to see it back.
But from memory , I didn't think that was one for Max to come for. Vyner had it under control , but the Sun'land player was chasing down . I think that is Vyner's to deal with .

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

According to Wyscout, 9 / 17 of Sunderland’s shots came from set-pieces.  They didn’t create tonnes from open play.

It was a bit last ditch but we did defend well yesterday and the Goalkeeper did his job (fantastically I might add but he is paid well to have fantastic games every now and again like all other GK's at the level). That's why I cannot accept we were "lucky" as I said in another post. Sunderland did not miss ridiculously easy chances, hit the woodwork numerous times blah blah blah.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

It was a bit last ditch but we did defend well yesterday and the Goalkeeper did his job (fantastically I might add but he is paid well to have fantastic games every now and again like all other GK's at the level). That's why I cannot accept we were "lucky" as I said in another post. Sunderland did not miss ridiculously easy chances, hit the woodwork numerous times blah blah blah.

And I know it’s all ifs, buts and maybes, but we should’ve been two penalties ahead also.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Yep, tweeted the same.

As for Max, he’s not the best in the Champ, he’s not the worst.  He’s kinda mid-table(ish).  Their keeper, highly rated, England u21 cap, stuffed up twice for our goal, first the pass, then fouling TGH.

Exactly my thoughts and pretty much how you’d describe the team he plays for.

There seem to be some on here that think every other keeper in the championship never make mistakes and have constant flawless displays.

Sadly for Max, he’s always just one mistake from being slaughtered on here. 

• Like 4

18 hours ago, Dr Balls said:

That was totally on Vyner. He completely misread the pace on the ball. No way could Max come and claim that one 

• Like 2