IGNORED

Steve Martin

GrahamC

1 hour ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

I've never understood why teams in the lower divisions of the EFL are any less deserving of a decent referee from those higher up the pyramid. 

I've said that for years!

Crap referees in the Premiership get relegated to the EFL!

Why???

If they are a crap referee why should we have to suffer them?

If they are that crap, suspend them 'till they can show they are worth being a professional referee!

Edited by Redtucks
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Super said:

Actually amazed there was only 3 minutes added at the end.

Me too. He was one of those that very ostentatiously points to his watch whenever there's a hint of time wasting....and then adds nothing on. That happens when we're 0-1 down and it's one of the most irritating things a ref can do. Today, not so much 😄

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Andy082005 said:

The booking for Conway in the first few minutes summed the ***** up 

Agree. I was watching the ref and he was staring upfield and 100% did not see the challenge. He looked around, was a bit surprised to see the Sunderland player on the floor and rolling around so early and ran over and booked Conway. It was the correct decision but if he hasn’t seen it he’s just guessing at decisions, and he spent most of the game doing so - he had no idea what happened to Sykes on our first penalty shout and one or two of Sunderland’s claims as well.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

We had so little of the ball in second half so he didn't need to add any time wasting by either side. Just all the subs.

That's a good point tbf. There were a couple of stoppages but second half was mainly ball in play bar a lot of corners and Sunderland passing it round us until they got to the penalty area.

3 minutes was about right. 
There were 5 stoppages for subs and zero injury time to add and zero time wasting either. 
I certainly wasn’t expecting more than 4 but 3 was probably about right. 
30 seconds for 5 subs is 2:30. Nothing else delayed the game. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Olé said:

Agree. I was watching the ref and he was staring upfield and 100% did not see the challenge. He looked around, was a bit surprised to see the Sunderland player on the floor and rolling around so early and ran over and booked Conway. It was the correct decision but if he hasn’t seen it he’s just guessing at decisions, and he spent most of the game doing so - he had no idea what happened to Sykes on our first penalty shout and one or two of Sunderland’s claims as well.

I thought the same too, but I assumed he’d got a call from one of the other officials. He did seem to put his hand up to his ear momentarily.

That said, it was about the only thing they helped him with all game. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cidered abroad said:

We had so little of the ball in second half so he didn't need to add any time wasting by either side. Just all the subs.

14 minutes ago, Harry said:

There were 5 stoppages for subs and zero injury time to add and zero time wasting either. 

But he did make a point of looking at his watch, and of saying something, a couple of times when Max was taking time to fetch the ball, when our subbed players were doing that backward walk off the pitch, when we delayed taking a throw-in.

All marginal, and I agree it wasn’t much: I was expecting 4. But I did expect him to add a little more on after that fracas at the end. 

18 minutes ago, Harry said:

That is totally logical , something I don't associate with Refs. 
I tend not to think about it and just wait to see the number, it's usually a surprise.

From what I heard on the Radio in the week this is an issue at all levels of football as no one wants to become a Ref anymore due to the abuse - verbal and physical, that seems to be a culture of football these days.

It would be really interesting to see if there is a shortage of Rugby referees as the respect shown to them is poles apart from what football refs have to deal with.

Football needs to clean up its act if it wants better referees!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Denbury Red said:

It would be really interesting to see if there is a shortage of Rugby referees as the respect shown to them is poles apart from what football refs have to deal with.

Football needs to clean up its act if it wants better referees!

Mini and womens rugby aside there are less sides/matches than even 20 years ago so less of a ref supply issue.

Plus culturally abuse isnt tolerated. Even supporters might warrant a slap if they went too far.

2 hours ago, Natchfever said:

Mini and womens rugby aside there are less sides/matches than even 20 years ago so less of a ref supply issue.

Plus culturally abuse isnt tolerated. Even supporters might warrant a slap if they went too far.

When you play rugby as a kid it's the 5-yard rule that quickly teaches you to show respect to the referees decisions. He gives a penalty you don't agree with, you argue and he moves it 5 yards closer to the end your defending, complain again another 5 yards, and so on. I know they tried to bring something similar into football at one point, but it didn't really work out for some reason. 

I see he brought something new to the game - the disadvantage rule.

It works by playing advantage for a maximum of 5 seconds when the player is surrounded by opposition players, then once the ball has been turned over after said 5 seconds, allow the opposition to break up the pitch to create a goal scoring opportunity.

Or book a player for slipping on the soaking turf.

He was abysmal - for both sides.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, BCFC Rich said:

When you play rugby as a kid it's the 5-yard rule that quickly teaches you to show respect to the referees decisions. He gives a penalty you don't agree with, you argue and he moves it 5 yards closer to the end your defending, complain again another 5 yards, and so on. I know they tried to bring something similar into football at one point, but it didn't really work out for some reason. 

Yep. In rugby it wouldnt stop an ill bred shithouse mouthing off but their peers and the club would sort them out . Ive played hundreds of gsmes and have had rotten refs but you are ingrained to stand it and actually everyone benefits in the long run.

I would never allow my boy to diss a ref and im talking football.

Agree with all of the above, but also in the second half Knight was on the end of an abysmal challenge.

The ref played advantage as we were going forward and in possession. As per the majority of the second half, this ended within a matter of seconds.

Did Mr Martin go back and book the Sunderland player, did he heck. No wonder there was some aggro between the sides at the end, pent up frustration from both sets due to his extremely poor performance.

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

On 16/12/2023 at 20:56, Sleepy1968 said:

Roger Milford ran a newsagents for Pete's sake. You can forgive him for getting a decision or two wrong at 3pm when he was probably up at 5am setting out the morning papers for the paperboys.

As did a more local referee, a certain Mr. Hamer, who had the misfortune to officiate a Gloucestershire Cup Final between City and Rovers.