IGNORED

Tanner

Charlie BCFC

16 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

He’s a defender.

Ask him to defend & he’ll give it all he’s got.

Ask him to make play constructively or put crosses in like Mark Sykes can & he’ll struggle.

I like him, he cost £300k from League Two, has a decent availability record & good attitude.

Despite the stick he’s got on here I think we have bigger issues than him.

If by some miracle McCrorie, Atkinson & Naismith are all back at the same time he’s a very decent squad player, if not he’ll keep plugging away.

To be fair to GT, he does put in some very good crosses.

• Like 1

All any fan of any team asks their players as a starting point is 100% commitment . He never shirks a tackle & enjoys defending . He gave the ball away a few times today but we did throughout the team. Hes never going to be an attacking full back or wing back . I played full back for twenty years in local football & your job is to defend first. I like the lad 

• Like 6

I am certainly one of the main culprits for hammering in to George tanner but on the flip side i will recognise when he had had a good game and I think today was the best performance I have seen from him in a city shirt. Kept his passing nice and simple didn't seem to panic and defended really well today. Thought his positional awareness was better today aswell sunderland didn't really have to many passes on down that right hand side and instead had to look for different options.

Edited by BCFC31
  • Like 3

Tanner is a talented footballer. He's pretty quick, gets stuck in and there's absolutely no reason why he can't bomb down the wing and get crosses in. If he struggles the City coaches should be sorting it. How hard is it to practice running down the wing at the HPC  with the ball and crossing it. That's something you do in training. It may just be that LM wants him to defend more to allow Pring to get forward.

I think he gets a lot of unfair stick, he’s more of an old fashioned right back and plays to his strengths. He may have had a few off games this season but I’m a fan of his and love his attitude. He’s young and will only improve, I think I remember Nige saying he was essentially chucked in because they had no choice due to injuries and learnt the hard way through making mistakes in champ games opposed to u21 games. Kept one of the best wingers in the league quite, good work George! 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, TommyD68 said:

I think he gets a lot of unfair stick, he’s more of an old fashioned right back and plays to his strengths. He may have had a few off games this season but I’m a fan of his and love his attitude. He’s young and will only improve, I think I remember Nige saying he was essentially chucked in because they had no choice due to injuries and learnt the hard way through making mistakes in champ games opposed to u21 games. Kept one of the best wingers in the league quite, good work George! 

I’m quite critical of him as an all round full back , but as a steady tough tackling defender he’s pretty decent perfect full back in a local Derby 

13 minutes ago, WECANDO said:

Tanner is a talented footballer. He's pretty quick, gets stuck in and there's absolutely no reason why he can't bomb down the wing and get crosses in. If he struggles the City coaches should be sorting it. How hard is it to practice running down the wing at the HPC  with the ball and crossing it. That's something you do in training. It may just be that LM wants him to defend more to allow Pring to get forward.

Was shown a clean pair of heels last week by the Norwich player 👀

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, redkev said:

Do you not think there trying , think some people need to remember that the other team wants to win aswell and that other team today were a bloody good one 

Just trying to point out that Tanner is not good enough and neither is Pring at the moment with his poor form.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Facepalm 1

Just now, Top Robin said:

Just trying to point out that Tanner is not good enough and neither is Pring at the moment with his poor form.

I sort of agree Tanner is limited but hopefully with him still being quite young the coaches can improve him as more of an all round fullback , I did say in a thread a few weeks back that Pring this year has slightly dissapointed me on the back of last season’s performances 

2 hours ago, mozo said:

I've always seen him as a very poor man's Gary Neville. Not much cop going forward but a good solid traditional right back. 

He's been fortunate to get lots of minutes this season without playing at his best, but today was much more like it.

I posted earlier that I think people are overly harsh on him because of their lack of understanding of what type of player he is. 

He is a traditional right back. And he's very good at that. Like you say he's in the Gary Neville mould. 

He's a defender, its when he gets asked to do things that doesn't suit his style is when he struggles. But as a defender he's really good. 

I think people expect him to be like Pring, but that's just not his style. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, mozo said:

I've always seen him as a very poor man's Gary Neville. Not much cop going forward but a good solid traditional right back. 

He's been fortunate to get lots of minutes this season without playing at his best, but today was much more like it.

That is exactly what he is but you need players like that,he’s as fast as me after 30 beers and a kebab but he’s having a go so fair play to him

3 hours ago, GrahamC said:

He’s a defender.

Ask him to defend & he’ll give it all he’s got.

Ask him to make play constructively or put crosses in like Mark Sykes can & he’ll struggle.

I like him, he cost £300k from League Two, has a decent availability record & good attitude.

Despite the stick he’s got on here I think we have bigger issues than him.

If by some miracle McCrorie, Atkinson & Naismith are all back at the same time he’s a very decent squad player, if not he’ll keep plugging away.

Complete agree, always been a very good 1v1 defender but do also think he is capable of a good cross. 

2 hours ago, Top Robin said:

I thought both their wide men has our 2 full backs on toast today

Roberts turned Pring inside out a fair few times but Clarke bar the last 10 didn’t have any joy at all

I never understand the stick he gets but I don't think it's much, same as Orr used to get a bit of stick but was a dependable right back. It's only when these types of players are asked to do more than the defensive roles they were signed for do we see that they are not Beckham and Neville rolled into one and seemingly get upset about it.

• Like 1