IGNORED

Tanner

Charlie BCFC

Tanner is a low cost budget punt at right back who has never started a season for us as first choice but who has performed solidly when called on. 

Is he a world beater? No. Is he better than many of the first choice right backs we’ve had at Championship level? Probably, yes.

Realistically he has played a lot more than he likely would have done it not been for Kane Wilson not working out and subsequently McCrorie getting injured. And, whilst he probably wouldn’t be starting if everyone was fit, he’s proved one of our better value for money acquisitions of recent seasons. 

I hope McCrorie soon gets fit and demonstrates why Pearson invested a large % of our budget to have him at right back but I fail to understand the obsession with, and scapegoating of, a low cost understudy who is doing better than you’d expect a low cost understudy to do.

Edited by LondonBristolian
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Top Robin said:

I do understand that and yes, Tanner is a trier but I do think he is very average and we do need to upgrade.

We upgraded on Tanner in the summer of 2022. The highly tipped upgrade was injured at the start of the season, never found his rhythm for us and then was moved on in the summer.

We upgraded again in the summer with a substantial outlay. The upgrade has had a freak injury so Tanner has been playing. How many right backs do you want us to sign exactly?

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

We upgraded on Tanner in the summer of 2022. The highly tipped upgrade was injured at the start of the season, never found his rhythm for us and then was moved on in the summer.

We upgraded again in the summer with a substantial outlay. The upgrade has had a freak injury so Tanner has been playing. How many right backs do you want us to sign exactly?

Just until we get a decent one - is that too much of an ask

• Confused 1

11 minutes ago, Top Robin said:

Just until we get a decent one - is that too much of an ask

If you honestly believe Tanner isn’t a decent BACK-UP right back then I think you’ve probably got a misguided idea of the quality of player that will come here to act as a squad player.

There is a far more critical issue to me in that, of the first choice right backs we have signed over the past few years, most haven’t worked and the latest (and most expensive) is yet to start a game for us due to injury. We need McCrorie to come back, hit the ground running and make the right back position his own.

But - whilst McCrorie’s injury appears to have been one of these freak circumstances that would have been hard to foresee - it puzzles me why you’re directing your ire at the reserve player who has stepped in and done pretty much as well as you’d expect a Championship reserve player to do.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Natchfever said:

Might take 3 windows at least as apart from (currently) Dickie Vyner Atkinson Pring Knight and Conway imo we need to upgrade.

On your reckoning then how many upgrades do we need? , you say we’ve 6 ok players and everyone else needs upgrading ?, surely not.

Edited by Ashtongreight

1 hour ago, Ashtongreight said:

On your reckoning then how many upgrades do we need? , you say we’ve 6 ok players and everyone else needs upgrading ?, surely not.

Just responding to Top Robin. In reality of course we could improve everyone we have but I think those 6 would sit well in a playoff side. Others could benefit from being around better players.