IGNORED

Watford away Boxing Day - only half tickets sold

Shauntaylor85

On 17/12/2023 at 09:06, Bristol Oil Services said:

Yeah, if we beat West 'am and draw Arsenal away, there'll only be about 700 there cos there's only so much .... (don't you mean "passion" ?)

Really hate this sort of crap.

People have a limited amount of money, so they will prioritise what they spend it on. Of course a game against Arsenal would be a priority for lots of us, and of course a game against Watford on Boxing Day wouldn’t be. It does not hold the same attraction.

You might be fortunate enough to have an endless pot of cash for football, or unfortunate enough to have nothing else going on in your life to compete for your attention and your money. It’s not like that for most people.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Really hate this sort of crap.

People have a limited amount of money, so they will prioritise what they spend it on. Of course a game against Arsenal would be a priority for lots of us, and of course a game against Watford on Boxing Day wouldn’t be. It does not hold the same attraction.

You might be fortunate enough to have an endless pot of cash for football, or unfortunate enough to have nothing else going on in your life to compete for your attention and your money. It’s not like that for most people.

It's just a simple fact, people elsewhere in the country with no more money - and sometimes less - go to football home or away, where we do something else.

We're not as "passionate" about football and actually going to football matches as people in, say, Portsmouth, Sunderland or Merseyside.

Nothing to get upset about. 

• Like 1

On 16/12/2023 at 20:56, kit said:

We played there in 2008 I think on boxing day and dont think we were close to selling out then either. Can't find what we took there but the highlights definitely had empty seats at the front. 

Yep, loads of empty seats that day. We won 4-2, Ivan Sproule was running riot on the wing! 

40 minutes ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

It's just a simple fact, people elsewhere in the country with no more money - and sometimes less - go to football home or away, where we do something else.

We're not as "passionate" about football and actually going to football matches as people in, say, Portsmouth, Sunderland or Merseyside.

Nothing to get upset about. 

Exactly..and its not having a go at our support but Sunderland, Leeds, Boro, Birmingham, Ipswich, Norwich and probably Plymouth would sell out at Watford on boxing day and no I'm not going but I would have done 20 years ago.

• Like 1

Went to the works Xmas party last week in County Durham. All they ever talked about was football (and that was the women). Bristol and surrounding area is unfortunately a footballing backwater, simple fact. Guy I was chatting to, said to me how proud he was of the fact that three generations of his family have all been buried in the Sunderland home kit! 
The North East is a hotbed of football.
They demand success, whereas down here it’s “Snooze” ….. most home games.

Edited by fisherrich
  • Like 1

People struggling with money, Christmas period, horrible place to get to, West Ham just over a week later, football we are playing not exactly the most exciting… I can see why not many are going.

i know a lot of people splitting Christmas over Christmas Day and Boxing Day this year. To some, family are more important than football. Not sure why some people struggle to understand that.

If you are lucky enough the be able to afford it and you don’t have any family commits, well done you. Go and enjoy your away day.

On 18/12/2023 at 21:00, redkev said:

Does it take you all day to eat bubble & squeak mines down the hatch with a nice slice of bread & butter with loads of brown Source in about 5 mins - then off to watch city 👍

Bubble & squeak sandwich dipped into a fried egg with lashings of HP Source, you can't beat it 

• Like 2

On 16/12/2023 at 20:44, Bristol Oil Services said:

Busy? Doing what?

A lot of families with step-families do a second Christmas on boxing day, then you have all the people who have a good drink on xmas will be hungover and probably don't want to deal with frustrations that City will most likely bring. 
Boxing day games are great for those who don't have family commitments and I used to love them but I actually prefer being home on boxing day these days.

8 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

Been there a few times. But last year you couldn’t even get a beer in the ground. When I asked the steward he said it was the same for the home fans. Not sure if he was telling the truth or not. No rush to go back to Watford 

Vicarage Road is such an uninspiring place, 30 years between my two journeys there, won't be going again

• Like 1

• Admin
13 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

Been there a few times. But last year you couldn’t even get a beer in the ground. When I asked the steward he said it was the same for the home fans. Not sure if he was telling the truth or not. No rush to go back to Watford 

At a local off licence on the way back a few years ago, we asked about a bottle of port to have a Christmas / birthday toast.

They had no idea what Port was !!

2 minutes ago, TV Tom said:

Vicarage Road is such an uninspiring place, 30 years between my two journeys there, won't be going again

It does have the special ability to be completely dull on every level, I suppose at least that god awful stand on the left has finally been replaced

1 hour ago, Red Army 75 said:

No home fans can have alcohol but not sure it’s really worth wasting money on!

Many will admit the away end is pretty rubbish and very cramped.

3 hours ago, Spike said:

A lot of families with step-families do a second Christmas on boxing day, then you have all the people who have a good drink on xmas will be hungover and probably don't want to deal with frustrations that City will most likely bring. 
Boxing day games are great for those who don't have family commitments and I used to love them but I actually prefer being home on boxing day these days.

No problem with that mate, my point is simply that those family situations will be the just the same in Portsmouth, Sunderland and Merseyside but they will go to away games regardless. That it's not the cost of it, or having two away games then a cup game away, just that we can't be "arsed" with going away like some other clubs can be "arsed."

We're into it (football) just not that into it. Which isn't a "value" judgement merely an observation of how important football is to people in different parts of the country. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, fisherrich said:

Went to the works Xmas party last week in County Durham. All they ever talked about was football (and that was the women). Bristol and surrounding area is unfortunately a footballing backwater, simple fact. Guy I was chatting to, said to me how proud he was of the fact that three generations of his family have all been buried in the Sunderland home kit! 

We are Bristolians; we don’t do passion. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, fisherrich said:

I maintain that if every single club with passionate fans had been as monumentally shit as BCFC over its history they would be as lukewarm as us.

You see smaller clubs now with very recent success selling out everywhere.

They are living the dream which has been a fleeting experience for us.

• Like 1