IGNORED

Credit where it’s due…

formerly known as ivan

1 minute ago, formerly known as ivan said:

I always said Manning would be judged on results first, performance second, everything else third.

Today wasn’t pretty but they fought to the end, defending to the death against a talented Sunderland team and took the three points. 

Having a few ciders to celebrate!

That goes for every manager,what they did today comes from Nige. Full credit to the players,we have got some great 100 percent professionals, LM is lucky to have inherited them.Good luck to him as well!

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 1
  • Hmmm 2
  • Facepalm 2

11 minutes ago, johnbytheriver said:

That goes for every manager,what they did today comes from Nige. Full credit to the players,we have got some great 100 percent professionals, LM is lucky to have inherited them.Good luck to him as well!

So how do you explain the last two defeats?  Did they come from above too…

• Like 4
  • Facepalm 1

4 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

So how do you explain the last two defeats?  Did they come from above too…

I know it must irritate when someone gives praise to NP....

But I think John was referring to commitment and effort and the characters / professionals we have.

I don’t think anyone slated commitment or attitude the last two games.

The summary & character of the type NP  assembled is a fair one is it not ?

• Like 18
  • Flames 1

6 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Was thinking this today.

It clearly is much sketchier in reality but irrespective of manager, irrespective of Head Coach or whoever- players should give 100% at all times and press with pure intensity out of possession.

There's been a few over the years who've "downed tools" and what not - but I'd counter that you don't ever know the full picture.

100% effort on a perfect day will look very different to 100% on a bad day.

People forget footballers (and other athletes/sports people) are just people at the end of the day. They aren't robots, they've got the same life problems that any of us can face - trouble at home, family, sleepless nights with kids, illness, injury and niggles and at the top level even just nutrition or recovery not being spot on - and then consider confidence.

I'd imagine many players who get accused of not giving 100% and just as frustrated with a performance as the fans are.

As for "pressing with pure intensity" that's a tactical matter as much as it is effort.

5 hours ago, joe jordans teeth said:

100% effort should be a given in any job shouldn’t it,don’t know why we expect it from sportsmen but not the let’s say normal folk,that’s why this country is going down the pan

As above, many reasons why 100% may not be achievable. Certainly not specific to this country so that's a strange comment to add.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, joe jordans teeth said:

100% effort should be a given in any job shouldn’t it,don’t know why we expect it from sportsmen but not the let’s say normal folk,that’s why this country is going down the pan

I agree but unfortunately how we now treat footballers is far removed from your normal folk. They are totally pampered in order to get the best out of them. 

How many people who for example have to work in Cardiff for a couple of hours get free transport provided there and back by your employer, you also have accomodation in the best hotel the evening before to say nothing off all meals provided and a massage or two before work!

Even when working at home, all meals provided free of charge every day. Full medical care, parking, transport free of charge. 

On a home match day (and sometimes away) you can bring your partner and children, parents etc to watch you work. They are provided with food and drink, match tickets, parking etc too, all free of charge. 

Is this what a 'normal' person gets?

Maybe I'm being a bit flippant, but hopefully some of you might get the point I'm making. 

I don't think it's so easy now than it was even a few years ago for players to down tools or hide. Technology sees to that.

I also think players are treated almost like racehorses, pampered and flogged at the same time. But when you stop being of value there is always another to take your place and you fade out of favour pretty quickly, it's very competitive so enjoy it when they can.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, wheretheheartis said:

Great result and endeavor but for the board to think we have a top 6 side, really? Sunderland are 7th having lost 9 times and we are waxing lyrical about their team. I was thinking that they looked better all over the park than we did yesterday. Good result though, onwards and upwards. 

They were better than us and didn’t really deserve to lose and If Manning can get City consistently performing as S’land did then we’ll all be delighted.

They were very sharp with slick little triangles working a treat for them -  I was genuinely impressed.

Chatting with guys around me at ht we all thought that City are nowhere near a top six side, currently we’re a mid table outfit at best. 

That said, there were definite signs yesterday that LMs methods are  beginning to take effect - another three points on Friday would reinforce that view.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, wheretheheartis said:

Great result and endeavor but for the board to think we have a top 6 side, really? Sunderland are 7th having lost 9 times and we are waxing lyrical about their team. I was thinking that they looked better all over the park than we did yesterday. Good result though, onwards and upwards. 

Aside from being happy and relieved with the win which means that LM can prepare for Friday in a better place for a start the above is the next thing I think of when analysing that yesterday. What aspect of our available team is "top end", "top 6", "front foot", "attacking" etc. etc? Furthermore, unless we recruit, does anyone truly believe that Manning can turn that squad into a genuine top end squad? In the cold light of day we got outplayed and outclassed yesterday and won through determination and endeavour, same as we did under Nige a few times.

A Manager with a genuine top end squad would come out and say "happy with the three points but nowhere near the level of performance I expect".......our Managers don't say that because the players are giving their all and the basic quality required for top 6 is absent.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, formerly known as ivan said:

I always said Manning would be judged on results first, performance second, everything else third.

Today wasn’t pretty but they fought to the end, defending to the death against a talented Sunderland team and took the three points. 

Having a few ciders to celebrate!

Controversial post but couldn’t have seen us winning that game under NP, onwards and upwards now I would hope after that win. 

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 5

Ultimately a middling side at this level IMO, fuller squad and it may look a bit different ie push at top 10.

Sunderland forum had a quick browse of a thread critiquing their caretaker manager- some reckon we are an awful side. Wouldn't agree but we rode our luck a tad but we did perhaps merit a couple more points from previous games.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

4 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Ultimately a middling side at this level IMO, fuller squad and it may look a bit different ie push at top 10.

Sunderland forum had a quick browse of a thread critiquing their caretaker manager- some reckon we are an awful side. Wouldn't agree but we rode our luck a tad but we did perhaps merit a couple more points from previous games.

Mate of mine went down yesterday who isn’t a city fan. His opinion was that we looked awful. No pace, no creativity, no… nothing, other than luck.

Still, would take the 3 points every day like that if we could.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

If I were a Sunderland fan having seen us for the first time yesterday I would of come to the same conclusion that we were awful and be wondering how the hell we got nothing from the game, on the other side of the coin I think we’ve been a little unlucky we haven’t picked up more points recently, that’s football 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Mate of mine went down yesterday who isn’t a city fan. His opinion was that we looked awful. No pace, no creativity, no… nothing, other than luck.

A few have said that. Did we get outplayed? Yes. Did our Goalkeeper do what he is paid to do rather well? Yes. Did our defenders do what they are paid to do? Yes. I'm not seeing what is actual "luck"? Is someone doing their job well "luck"? Had Sunderland hit the post seven times I can get onboard with "luck". Not yesterday though, We worked bloody hard in a game we were very much second best. Anyone who calls that luck certainly hasn't been there and done it themselves, that's for sure.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

We absolutely had to dig deep, after HT especially.

31 minutes ago, TV Tom said:

If I were a Sunderland fan having seen us for the first time yesterday I would of come to the same conclusion that we were awful and be wondering how the hell we got nothing from the game, on the other side of the coin I think we’ve been a little unlucky we haven’t picked up more points recently, that’s football 

Sunderland likely deserved more than they got yeah albeit Mehmeti hit the post and both sides could perhaps have had a penalty in addition to the one thst was given.

Max had a great game, one or two saves in particular were top notch but..I could be looking with red tinted glasses, may even watch the game back as and when it's up but I didn't feel all that often like the dam would burst and we would concede despite their shots, possession and general pressure.

That could also be to do with their lack of a high end striker!

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Numero Uno said:

Aside from being happy and relieved with the win which means that LM can prepare for Friday in a better place for a start the above is the next thing I think of when analysing that yesterday. What aspect of our available team is "top end", "top 6", "front foot", "attacking" etc. etc? Furthermore, unless we recruit, does anyone truly believe that Manning can turn that squad into a genuine top end squad? In the cold light of day we got outplayed and outclassed yesterday and won through determination and endeavour, same as we did under Nige a few times.

A Manager with a genuine top end squad would come out and say "happy with the three points but nowhere near the level of performance I expect".......our Managers don't say that because the players are giving their all and the basic quality required for top 6 is absent.

⬇️⬇️⬇️

54 minutes ago, LoyalRed said:

Controversial post but couldn’t have seen us winning that game under NP, onwards and upwards now I would hope after that win. 

Controversial indeed.  For me, that was exactly the type of gutsy and determined performance you’d expect from a bunch of players developed by Nigel Pearson.  So, yes, I think it is the kinda game we would’ve won under Nige…in fact you can draw parallels with the Coventry win not that many weeks ago.

• Like 10
  • Flames 3

7 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

We absolutely had to dig deep, after HT especially.

Sunderland likely deserved more than they got yeah albeit Mehmeti hit the post and both sides could perhaps have had a penalty in addition to the one thst was given.

Max had a great game, one or two saves in particular were top notch but..I could be looking with red tinted glasses, may even watch the game back as and when it's up but I didn't feel all that often like the dam would burst and we would concede despite their shots, possession and general pressure.

That could also be to do with their lack of a high end striker!

The fact we won 1-0 proves your point. One good and one great save (both from set pieces) and lots of blocks, interceptions and the like but for all their pretty possession what did Sunderland create where you would say "that's an absolute sitter they missed there"? Nothing from memory. Sunderland were very incisive right up to the point of the final pass...........then the incision disappeared.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RedM said:

I agree but unfortunately how we now treat footballers is far removed from your normal folk. They are totally pampered in order to get the best out of them. 

How many people who for example have to work in Cardiff for a couple of hours get free transport provided there and back by your employer, you also have accomodation in the best hotel the evening before to say nothing off all meals provided and a massage or two before work!

Even when working at home, all meals provided free of charge every day. Full medical care, parking, transport free of charge. 

On a home match day (and sometimes away) you can bring your partner and children, parents etc to watch you work. They are provided with food and drink, match tickets, parking etc too, all free of charge. 

Is this what a 'normal' person gets?

Maybe I'm being a bit flippant, but hopefully some of you might get the point I'm making. 

And people pay hundreds and or thousands every year to follow and watch these young, pampered  chaps play, most of whom "kiss the badge" but really only give a toss whilst they're being handsomely paid (with a few exceptions).

Most people in Bristol and the West Country are canny enough not to be suckered into this "passion," unlike Northern/Midlands/London folks and follow a Prem team sat on their apathetic WC arses in the comfort of their living rooms. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Numero Uno said:

The fact we won 1-0 proves your point. One good and one great save (both from set pieces) and lots of blocks, interceptions and the like but for all their pretty possession what did Sunderland create where you would say "that's an absolute sitter they missed there"? Nothing from memory. Sunderland were very incisive right up to the point of the final pass...........then the incision disappeared.

The one chance I thought they’d score, was first half when Roberts was through on his left foot.  I expected him to curl it past Max, but he set it out too far and didn’t get any real bend on it.

• Like 1

Just now, Davefevs said:

The one chance I thought they’d score, was first half when Roberts was through on his left foot.  I expected him to curl it past Max, but he set it out too far and didn’t get any real bend on it.

I thought he might have went hard and low near post, but either way, that was the one "clear-cut" chance they created.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

They were better than us and didn’t really deserve to lose and If Manning can get City consistently performing as S’land did then we’ll all be delighted.

They were very sharp with slick little triangles working a treat for them -  I was genuinely impressed.

Chatting with guys around me at ht we all thought that City are nowhere near a top six side, currently we’re a mid table outfit at best. 

That said, there were definite signs yesterday that LMs methods are  beginning to take effect - another three points on Friday would reinforce that view.

Great win yesterday. Impressive fighting spirit from the team. 

There was a thread on here yesterday asking what front foot football is, Sunderland showed us what it is and how far away we are being a front foot attacking team. 

It was pretty much all one way traffic in the second half. Because of our goal we were able to park the bus and just grind out the result. However if we would have needed a goal then we would have opened up more at the back and Sunderland could have taken advantage of that. 

So in summary, absolutely delighted to have won. Enjoyable day at Ashton Gate. But I don't want to watch that every week. Sunderland are good but not that good where we were pretty much dominated the whole second half. 

I get that yesterday it was all about getting the much needed win. But especially at home we need to quickly get playing like Sunderland did. 

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

My live viewing of the game is somewhat compromised by quite a few overpriced beers that were consumed so I'd need to watch it back. 

However, even with that, there seemed to be quite a few moments where I had my heart in my mouth and let out a sigh as felt we got off lucky there. But it's about time we had some luck!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

I personally think and agree we are a mid table side but I also think we are no ones push overs and will give most teams in this league a decent game , I honestly think the majority of teams wouldn’t choose to play against us the last game of the season to get promoted ( hopefully we have moved on from that Birmingham shambles under Johnson a few years back aaarrrrggghhhh

• Like 1