IGNORED

Safe standing/singing

Topper 123

3 minutes ago, marmite said:

Are you Jon Lansdown.......?🤣

No, just a realist.

If we had got Ashton Vale, they would have been building from a blank canvas and SL did say (years ago) he liked home fans behind both goals.

That went sour and the Gate was reluctantly redeveloped. Working with what they had, I don't believe they could have done much better.

If they were eager to make a change, the only thing that *could* work, would be moving S82 to the upper Lansdown. But where do you put the families who likely don't want to expose their kids to excessive bad language?

Having been in the Atyeo recently (within the last 12 months) to watch some rugby, the size of the Lansdown is quite intimidating if you are in the Atyeo.

19 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

No, just a realist.

If we had got Ashton Vale, they would have been building from a blank canvas and SL did say (years ago) he liked home fans behind both goals.

That went sour and the Gate was reluctantly redeveloped. Working with what they had, I don't believe they could have done much better.

If they were eager to make a change, the only thing that *could* work, would be moving S82 to the upper Lansdown. But where do you put the families who likely don't want to expose their kids to excessive bad language?

Having been in the Atyeo recently (within the last 12 months) to watch some rugby, the size of the Lansdown is quite intimidating if you are in the Atyeo.

Just another reason why we need fresh investment and ideas.

The matchday experience is fairly mediocre, the game moves on quickly. Birmingham owners are investing strongly in new facilities, Shahid Khan at Fulham has either cash or equity, £590-600m in a decade or so.

5 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Just another reason why we need fresh investment and ideas.

The matchday experience is fairly mediocre, the game moves on quickly. Birmingham owners are investing strongly in new facilities, Shahid Khan at Fulham has either cash or equity, £590-600m in a decade or so.

Birmingham are investing because a large part of their ground was condemned.

4 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

My views on Lansdown are a bit harsh and even can seem a bit ungrateful but it is borne out of frustration at the stagnation, some of the policies and yes the matchday experience seems awfully anodyne in the ground now pre-game especially.

Just need a bit of fresh impetus IMO.

Could be worth raising it via the SC&T on suggestions to improve in the ground stuff? Outside I think it’s improved loads and much better than many grounds I’ve visited.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, CityReds said:

Could be worth raising it via the SC&T on suggestions to improve in the ground stuff? Outside I think it’s improved loads and much better than many grounds I’ve visited.

Outside no issue with.

Fanzone, Sports Bar, Club Shop etc, food stalls.

Inside Idk. Maybe I'm being a bit harsh but the music does seem too loud and goes on too long pre game, reading the away side first, let alone some of the issues with atmosphere and placement of the fans etc.

44 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Outside no issue with.

Fanzone, Sports Bar, Club Shop etc, food stalls.

Inside Idk. Maybe I'm being a bit harsh but the music does seem too loud and goes on too long pre game, reading the away side first, let alone some of the issues with atmosphere and placement of the fans etc.

You must be the only person happy with the club shop.

I have never used it, but the general consensus seems to be, it's dogs-eggs.

15 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

However it would deprive the opposition of a whole half playing towards their fans, whether there is a wider flaw is a matter of debate.

Are away fans are that much of a hindrance to performances? I enjoy the noise they make. Beats listening to silence. 

39 minutes ago, Nomad said:

Are away fans are that much of a hindrance to performances? I enjoy the noise they make. Beats listening to silence. 

I'd say so yeah. Or can be.

Let's go with can be. Playing towards an end of your singing, standing noisy fans- standing fans are more likely to sing, away fans more likely to stand.up to 3-3.5k as concentrated noise can help in a division with a lot of fairly evenly matched sides, behind the goal and playing towards them.

We have a chunk of noisy fans tucked into a corner. The same level of intelligence as giving the away fans the granted now all-seater East End mid 1990s when it was our spiritual home and had the best acoustics at that time.

When our fans or some of them wished to improve the situation, the club as they had to do reacted accordingly in E34 and it kinda died a death..but at least they did something.

The club as far as Safety Advisory Group input allowed should have worked with these fans better.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I'd say so yeah. Or can be.

Let's go with can be. Playing towards an end of your singing, standing noisy fans- standing fans are more likely to sing, away fans more likely to stand.up to 3-3.5k as concentrated noise can help in a division with a lot of fairly evenly matched sides, behind the goal and playing towards them.

We have a chunk of noisy fans tucked into a corner. The same level of intelligence as giving the away fans the granted now all-seater East End mid 1990s when it was our spiritual home and had the best acoustics at that time.

When our fans or some of them wished to improve the situation, the club as they had to do reacted accordingly in E34 and it kinda died a death..but at least they did something.

The club as far as Safety Advisory Group input allowed should have worked with these fans better.

Playing towards noisy support has to help, specially later on when you're tired and flagging. Hearing that noise could squeeze and extra few % while without it you have just your own motivation. 

With the East End thing , I get why . The nice new stand given over to home fans while the older one with poorer facilities given to away fans. In the cold light of day makes sense. Any one that has been on terraces or in with away fans and home fans would know the wider story. 

There is no easy way to change anything now.

13 hours ago, Nomad said:

I'm as fed up as everyone else with the lack of atmosphere but both ends is not the answer. That'll just highlight our deficiencies further.

Both ends would only split fans let’s build a kop in the south stand it was always our end anyway so get out of dolman and join the singers in south stand next year 

• Like 1

On 22/12/2023 at 12:13, Topper 123 said:

Both ends would only split fans let’s build a kop in the south stand it was always our end anyway so get out of dolman and join the singers in south stand next year 

Yes, it would be great to extend safe standing across the South Stand.  We may never get back what we had in the East End but I’m certain atmosphere would improve.

The flag displays etc. would look better across the whole of the stand rather than just in the corner.

• Like 5