IGNORED

Safe standing/singing

Topper 123

3 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

The only place you could put away fans so they couldn’t create much of an atmosphere would be upper Lansdown , atyeo end. It’s too difficult & expensive to police , when we’ve got a self contained end we can put them in. Fans can moan all they want but it’s not going to happen. 

Agreed. Upper Lansdown Atyeo end, 2k is the capacity we need to give away fans minimum and then in the Cup it's up to 15% of capacity and then in the PL it is up to 10% of capacity or 3k, whichever is lower.

We would need to find a solution that accounts for all 3..at least the League and FA Cup allocation rules anyway. Maybe the Atyeo is the only real way to accomodate all 3 but it isn't really satisfactory IMO.

However other clubs seem to manage these matters better than we do, there must be a better way than the current way.

Following up however,

Point about the Atyeo wouldn’t make much sense to me. No point reducing the away allocation just to have 800 ish in the Atyeo, as it would just spread out our fans more. We cant even fill the 3 other stands regularly as it is

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, OliOTIB said:

Following up however,

Point about the Atyeo wouldn’t make much sense to me. No point reducing the away allocation just to have 800 ish in the Atyeo, as it would just spread out our fans more. We cant even fill the 3 other stands regularly as it is

That arrangement could also become problematic on FA Cup games owing to the 15% entitlement?

10 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

yes but the point is to have home fans at either ends

I get it. I would be in favour of it but it’s not going to happen . It’s not just putting away fans somewhere else. It’s bars/consessions & toilets . Are there bars , toilets where they’d put them ? If not they have section some off for them . Not going to happen. The ground revamp was rebuilt just for home fans . The atyeo is 30 years old . If our fans were put back in there then they’d moan the bars were shit.  

2 minutes ago, myol'man said:

Lansdown Stand has one set of turnstiles for the upper and lower tiers. How can you get 2,000 away fans up to the upper Lansdown?

Build another set?

Idk but we are too accommodating to away fans, we could do so much more especially with the liberalisation of Safe Standing to instil a better chance of Home Advantage.

Reading away side out first, I don't go away that often- is that the norm now?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

I get it. I would be in favour of it but it’s not going to happen . It’s not just putting away fans somewhere else. It’s bars/consessions & toilets . Are there bars , toilets where they’d put them ? If not they have section some off for them . Not going to happen. The ground revamp was rebuilt just for home fans . The atyeo is 30 years old . If our fans were put back in there then they’d moan the bars were shit.  

I get this but 15-20 years ago, perhaps a bit more I would say the facilities in the all-seater East End were worse and it didn't seem to be a huge issue?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Agreed. Upper Lansdown Atyeo end, 2k is the capacity we need to give away fans minimum and then in the Cup it's up to 15% of capacity and then in the PL it is up to 10% of capacity or 3k, whichever is lower.

We would need to find a solution that accounts for all 3..at least the League and FA Cup allocation rules anyway. Maybe the Atyeo is the only real way to accomodate all 3 but it isn't really satisfactory IMO.

However other clubs seem to manage these matters better than we do, there must be a better way than the current way.

I can’t see how. Bigger grounds I’ve been to watching city , Villa . Separate entrance & bars, toilets. Sunderland similar 
newcastle , completely separate entrances /exits & bar toilets. Probably built for this . 
logistically very different for us. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I get this but 15-20 years ago, perhaps a bit more I would say the facilities in the all-seater East End were worse and it didn't seem to be a huge issue?

Irrelevant really because it was all we could do at the time. We didn’t have a separate stand that we have now . 

1 minute ago, Fuber said:

Would rather they split the Atyeo and made the home end safe standing.

Or make E34/33 safe standing and move S82 over to create more of an atmosphere.

To create more of a atmosphere I agree with the second option 100% 

you still have to get people to move who have probably been sat in old A & B blocks for years. It’s a good alternative though. 

Just now, steviestevieneville said:

Irrelevant really because it was all we could do at the time. We didn’t have a separate stand that we have now . 

True.

Solutions are hard to find with this one, as you said in your other post about Villa Park etc.

Hard to know which stand if any could be given up, let alone factoring the 3 different allocation requirements of Football League, PL and FA Cup.

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

True.

Solutions are hard to find with this one, as you said in your other post about Villa Park etc.

Hard to know which stand if any could be given up, let alone factoring the 3 different allocation requirements of Football League, PL and FA Cup.

The three grounds I mentioned are all much bigger obviously making it easier. The main problem that would cost possibly £m’s to resolve is the horseshoe concourse. It’s pretty unique to us & difficult to police . From the clubs point of view it’s a no brainer to keep them in the atyeo. One entrance & exit at the wedlock’s pub Ashton rd entrance. They’ve shut off the atyeo / dolman gates merge . If there’s a major issue they can  keep away fans behind & isolate them . I’m all  for debate & I’ve never commented on the numerous other threads on it because it seems pointless but it really is never going to happen. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

The three grounds I mentioned are all much bigger obviously making it easier. The main problem that would cost possibly £m’s to resolve is the horseshoe concourse. It’s pretty unique to us & difficult to police . From the clubs point of view it’s a no brainer to keep them in the atyeo. One entrance & exit at the wedlock’s pub Ashton rd entrance. They’ve shut off the atyeo / dolman gates merge . If there’s a major issue they can  keep away fans behind & isolate them . I’m all  for debate & I’ve never commented on the numerous other threads on it because it seems pointless but it really is never going to happen. 

Owners do invest in infrastructure, fresh ownership or investment could assist with the cost side of this- I appreciate SL is no longer throwing as much as it these days for whatever reason.

Yes the security angle makes sense- it is definitely the easiest option too. Easiest to police certainly...restricting to 2k and having away fans at the Lansdown end of the Atyeo could be a way to go- could make a 2nd Safe Standing area in the Atyeo..2k away, segregation and as many as possible to home fans.

Always playing towards home fans then.

1 hour ago, steviestevieneville said:

We’ve got a unique ground with the horseshoe concourse for home fans . I don’t know if any other grounds are set up like that. It’s easier to police like I said. Away fans enter from one entrance & are contained. 
perhaps if little coked up ***** thinking their some sort of ultras firm  didn’t gather in E34 acting like bellends then they wouldn’t need to be policed. 

Having a horseshoe shaped concourse has nothing to do with the south stand having safe standing and away fans still being in the atyeo . Just because people are stood trying to create an atmosphere in a stadium full of people sat on their hands doesn’t mean their coked up . I’ve never sniffed anything in my life but I’d rather stand and get behind the team than sit in silence freezing for 90 minutes.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Winterstoke toad said:

Having a horseshoe shaped concourse has nothing to do with the south stand having safe standing and away fans still being in the atyeo . Just because people are stood trying to create an atmosphere in a stadium full of people sat on their hands doesn’t mean their coked up . I’ve never sniffed anything in my life but I’d rather stand and get behind the team than sit in silence freezing for 90 minutes.

I’m talking about the extra stewards you were on about in the old  A block . They’ve been there without tickets for that section in the past that’s why there were extra stewards. 
it’s two different discussions really because away fans will never be moved. The best solution would be like @Fuber said to move s82 to the old A & B blocks next to the away fans . That would still take some doing logistically , but it’s easier than moving the away fans. 

7 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

I’m talking about the extra stewards you were on about in the old  A block . They’ve been there without tickets for that section in the past that’s why there were extra stewards. 
it’s two different discussions really because away fans will never be moved. The best solution would be like @Fuber said to move s82 to the old A & B blocks next to the away fans . That would still take some doing logistically , but it’s easier than moving the away fans. 

Spot on , it wouldn’t be any different to where fans stand at Villa and Leeds so I can’t see any excuse about fans being in the way stood up in a and b block .

Moving away fans into the A and B block Upper and Lower would be around 2k. Which is fine for the League. (The pedant in me says that in old money is A Block, B Block, H Block and I Block for Upper and Lower respectively).

What happens if we ever go up- where are we finding another 650 at best, maybe 700-1,000 in away capacity from.

Then more likely, where are we finding up to 15% of capacity for away fans from as per FA Cup regs.

Redevelop the Atyeo and link it to the Lansdown concourse and give away fans the Dolman, closing the link to the South Stand concourse thereby giving us 3 sides as now, but including both goal ends.

Having away fans behind the goal is stupid. It gives away sides an advantage that we could easily remove. Anyone like to finance that Steve?

7 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

How much of the Dolman, it holds 6k??

Half, 2/3 to future proof for Cup games, 60%?

Half should be plenty. Put them in upper half away from the pitch.

I know it's not easy or cheap but if we want to get home advantage, it's got to be possible..

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

And who will pay for this?

And the separate turnstiles, and the toilets, and the facilities....

Pipe dream. Accept it as it is. There is no return on the spend.

Hence we need fresh investment and impetus.

If you look at Birmingham and their new owners they're investing rather a lot.

Fulham seems to be a bottomless pit in the era of Shahid Khan, always walking a fine line on FFP but £590m in a decade or so in his stake.

All about the money when it comes down to it. 

How much would it cost and what of marginal gains and fan experience.