IGNORED

Hull City at home match thread

My father-in-law, a Chelsea fan and knowledgeable long-time football follower, watched the game with me this evening, very much as a neutral. He was really impressed with City, in particular Mehmeti, Knight and Vyner, said we played some excellent football at times, dominated the second half and thoroughly deserved the win. 

But hey, that's just the reaction of a neutral with no preconceptions or agenda. 

• Like 13
2 hours ago, Bas's perfect hattrick said:

Fantastic win! Both the goals from open play came from cutting inside of the wing. We should do that more often, rather than crossing aimless balls into the box time after time 

Difference for me tonight was our propensity to shoot. We have been shot shy for years but tonight showed the benefits of having a dig. Both second half goals probably down to keeper error but crowded penalty area potentially unsighted keepers. If you don’t buy a ticket…….

• Like 5
1 hour ago, CityCiderEd said:

The subs completely changed the dynamics of the game and got us back on the front foot. Proper championship game tonight that we thoroughly deserved to win....

That’s what having a strong squad is about mr lansdown , something we have been lacking for the past 2-3 years our subs are usually kids eg Cardiff away this season 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, redkev said:

That’s what having a strong squad is about mr lansdown , something we have been lacking for the past 2-3 years our subs are usually kids eg Cardiff away this season 

Still more power to add, 6 players still injured of course.

McCrorie, Atkinson, Roberts, Naismith, King, Benarous.

As Manning said pre game that depth, competition for places is really important. I'd add it can drive standards.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Rosenior's POV.

Wasn't he a bit 🧂 after the loss here laat season too.

Hull manager Liam Rosenior told BBC Radio Humberside:

"I'm not being disrespectful to Bristol City but at the moment they scored the second goal we shouldn't concede, we were in complete control of the game.

"I thought we showed again a really good resilience and character to come back. They get a penalty, we respond really well and get two goals and in that moment, and in the second half especially, we felt we controlled the game in our shape and with the ball.

"But for two really really poor moments we end up losing the game.

"It's really frustrating. If we'd had come here tonight and were beaten by far the better team and they were better than us in every department I'd tell you the truth, but it's not the case.

"That's almost even more frustrating from my point of view as from a coaching perspective - I'm sat up in the stand today - we look a good team home and away but if we want to achieve what I think is possible for this group we have to learn on the job really quickly and not throw points away."

Hull decided to sit on their 2-1 lead and paid the price.  Simple as.

Edited by Malago

Really pleased with the result tonight and, in some ways, the performance. There was a moment,  on about 60 minutes, where Sykes seemed to think to himself, "I'm gonna take this game on", and from there we didn't look back. Hull were irritating and full of needle, but a good side who will be disappointed not to get a point, but we showed great character and self belief in the final 30 minutes and got what we deserved, in the end. 

Merry Xmas all!

• Like 5
1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Rosenior's POV.

Wasn't he a bit 🧂 after the loss here laat season too.

Hull manager Liam Rosenior told BBC Radio Humberside:

"I'm not being disrespectful to Bristol City but at the moment they scored the second goal we shouldn't concede, we were in complete control of the game.

"I thought we showed again a really good resilience and character to come back. They get a penalty, we respond really well and get two goals and in that moment, and in the second half especially, we felt we controlled the game in our shape and with the ball.

"But for two really really poor moments we end up losing the game.

"It's really frustrating. If we'd had come here tonight and were beaten by far the better team and they were better than us in every department I'd tell you the truth, but it's not the case.

"That's almost even more frustrating from my point of view as from a coaching perspective - I'm sat up in the stand today - we look a good team home and away but if we want to achieve what I think is possible for this group we have to learn on the job really quickly and not throw points away."

Can't stand the bloke. Arrogant **** who can't stand us.

• Like 2
23 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Seem to recall he was none too happy about the penalty last season, or said it wasn't one anyway after our win.

Is a shame on one level, he was a hope- yet we got next to nothing, perhaps nothing for him as we messed up the timing of the contract offer but still..

Revenge is a dish best served cold.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, BCFC Rich said:

We were looking good in the 10/15 around the goal, then just seemed to let them into it. 2 ridiculous decisions in a row from the ref for the pen. We've been better again since going behind. 

I like to read the MDT after the game to see how posters saw it at the time.

My view at ht was that there is no way we deserved to be behind.  Took us 7 or 8 mins to get into the game, then we were on top / well on top as we had 8/9 shots taking the lead in the process.  Then we let them back into it.  I still thought we shaded the first half.

Now to read the second half.

4 hours ago, The Original OTIB said:

Dickie off it tonight

I thought his passing second half into Mehmeti and Pring was top notch.  He had a tough night against Connolly defensively though.

4 hours ago, cidercity1987 said:

2 goals away from 8th

Come on lads

This was inspired at the time!

4 hours ago, Redrascal2 said:

He is useless at this level. Terrible signing.

This wasn’t! 😉

• Like 3
3 hours ago, East Yorkshire CideRed said:

I went to the 1-1 at the MKM earlier in the season and was also very impressed. Not surprised they are where they are.

I was very impressed with Hull n the opening 20 that night….and then very impressed with us for much of the rest of that game.  We should’ve taken the 3 points up there too.

They are a good looking side though, but they aren’t good defensively.  That will be their Achilles heel.  You are always gonna be in the game with them.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, cityexile said:

For what it is worth, I have never questioned the mentality of this group of players. Quality at times of course, but not commitment.

’front foot football’ is seen as a bit of a throwaway line, but I think Manning is a bit more offensive minded than Pearson, I think the latter is to be praised for, well, the DNA of the players he brought in, with not much investment. We all hope Manning can get them to push on.

I don’t think you can really label defensive or offensive at either manager, just different ways of playing, both managers objective was to win. Much depends on us as fans how we interpret the styles.

3 hours ago, exAtyeoMax said:

I really enjoyed tonight. A proper win! Taking the lead, going behind and then coming back to take all three points. Loved it 😻 

So did I.  Thought it was two teams trying to attack, both doing it from back to front.  FWIW I thought we were a bit more confident to go forward tonight, rather than the sometimes over-patient side to side passing.  So it definitely felt “front foot” for the first real time for me, rather than front-foot via counter attacks.

3 hours ago, Topper 123 said:

We were good first 15 and best team all of second half so not sure what game you watched 

Good post…

3 hours ago, Topper 123 said:

21 shots tonight under NP we’d walk out saying 1 shot all game 

…spoiled by this one. 🤷🏻‍♂️

2 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

Well, that was a game.

Thought we started well, but stepped off it after our goal.

Hull were good, picked up a lot of the loose ball and moved it well. Deserved the equaliser but that Pen !!!
The Ref did well to get 3 bad decisions in a row for them to score. Wasn't a free kick, the lad looked offside from the FK and it was never a Pen.

I thought we started to get back some control nearer half time.

2nd half , apart from a few breaks *** I thought we dominated largely . They did create some chances, but I put some of that down to us chasing the game. 

Knight is a hell of a player.
FFS sign TGH.
Dickie veers from World beater to panel beater with some of his clumsy touches, mainly quality though :thumbsup:
Sykes is quality.
Mehmeti needs show even more, tonight was a start , but needs more assists & end product. Hopefully it will be soon.

*** how many times did we get caught on the break, and not just tonight. 
It really concerns me that one ball onto our back line leads us to being 1v1 with a striker. There were probably 3/4 occasions where a long ball left one defender Vs one striker, it is worrying.

Question for the class. Am I right in thinking we have had as many Pens under Manning, as we had over Pearsons entire time here ?

It is exactly this Mike why I couldn’t go overboard with plaudits for Zak tonight.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Malago said:

Yes, but they allowed us to take the game to them by being passive.  If I were a Hull fan I’d be asking why they didn’t go for the third goal to finish us off.

I think they were anything but passive.  It was quite an open second half, and we ground our way to get on top.

@Spike first brought these to my attention.  I think they are a good high level view of who is on top.

IMG_9331.thumb.jpeg.5f85907d76d4125f214454f026d39229.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

OK; it's the morning after and on Hull's forum:- https://www.not606.com/threads/bristol-city-v-hull-city.410218/page-20

One of their players had their foot in the D when their penalty was taken. ****ing robbed by the officials yet again.

Masters of our own downfall tonight. Despite being excellent for most of the first half.

I’m glad I was out on the piss tonight and didn’t really get involved in the game, 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I was very impressed with Hull n the opening 20 that night….and then very impressed with us for much of the rest of that game.  We should’ve taken the 3 points up there too.

They are a good looking side though, but they aren’t good defensively.  That will be their Achilles heel.  You are always gonna be in the game with them.

In Hull’s last game v Boro they looked vulnerable at the back and they got away with it that night but not this time with us. A dangerous attacking team that play good football but you always have a chance against them 

• Like 7
5 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I thought Hull were a decent Champ side who played through the lines well and always had a threat with Connolly's pace. Twine was fairly quiet but Seri and Tufan are good players and Delap certainly has some talent.

I really enjoyed the game last night and we gave it everything and caused them problems for most of the 90 minutes.

I'm encouraged by what i'm seeing and if we could add 1 or 2 new faces in January then hopefully it can be a positive 2nd half of the season.

• Robin 1