IGNORED

Hull City at home match thread

5 hours ago, Davefevs said:

FWIW I thought we were a bit more confident to go forward tonight, rather than the sometimes over-patient side to side passing.

There was that one moment when we looked like we were settling in for passing it sideways game and someone took the initiative and surged forward into the box on their own, we then came to life and started to probe a bit more. 

44 minutes ago, Edgy Red said:

I thought Hull were a decent Champ side who played through the lines well and always had a threat with Connolly's pace. Twine was fairly quiet but Seri and Tufan are good players and Delap certainly has some talent.

I really enjoyed the game last night and we gave it everything and caused them problems for most of the 90 minutes.

I'm encouraged by what i'm seeing and if we could add 1 or 2 new faces in January then hopefully it can be a positive 2nd half of the season.

Connolly is a good player.........but what a bloody wimp!! Leggings, down for about half an hour, signaling to come off then playing another 20 minutes. Quality strike in the middle of all of the drama though.

• Like 4
6 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I think they were anything but passive.  It was quite an open second half, and we ground our way to get on top.

@Spike first brought these to my attention.  I think they are a good high level view of who is on top.

IMG_9331.thumb.jpeg.5f85907d76d4125f214454f026d39229.jpeg

That long [green] phase in the first half was great to watch. We had Hull completely figured out. They tried playing out and we stopped them, so they tried long and we won the battles. They just couldn't get a grip on the game. And you can see from that graphic that the Connelly goal wasn't exactly during a period of danger for us.

The Connely goal very reminiscent of the Walker-Peters goal where if Jamo had been just a bit more committed with his closing down there wouldn't have been a goal. At this level you've got to be completely on it at all times.

I didn't enjoy the second half so much. I appreciate that we were patient but it felt too laboured and lacking a sense of purpose. The subs livened things up as they often do.

Edited by mozo
  • Like 1

Am I the only one being frustrated by Sykes at the moment? The effort is there, always available,but no end product. Can't beat a player (ok a lot can't, Beckham for instance) but his crosses don't go past his marker or the first defender in the box and his important passes are not well weighted meaning the move breaks down. To me he needs working on.

2 minutes ago, Gimme Shelton said:

Am I the only one being frustrated by Sykes at the moment? The effort is there, always available,but no end product. Can't beat a player (ok a lot can't, Beckham for instance) but his crosses don't go past his marker or the first defender in the box and his important passes are not well weighted meaning the move breaks down. To me he needs working on.

I think he’s a victim of Tanner’s lack of attacking prowess.

On the other side Pring gets forward which gives Mehmeti/Bell more space or another option as the full back needs to be aware of the overlap.

Sykes is generally 1-on-1 with the full back and he isn’t blessed with blistering speed or skill. On the occasions that Knight gives him that option is when Sykes looks dangerous.

• Like 4

It was interesting watching last night. We seemed (at times) to be playing a high block , is that even a thing?
Pushed up but let their CB/FB/keeper pass and block lines, only when they looked to have run out of ideas did we trigger a real press. 
I did like that occasionally their keeper went longer quicker, put them in good positions on a few occasions . Something we should have done , TC was in space between the CBs several times and on the move , didn't get that pass once.

I know the build up can be a bit deliberate at times, it's still early days I guess , but you can see what they are trying to do. Well , if you're patient , my mate and some around us screaming to get it forward, then moaning when we lose it.

Can't please all the people etc etc ;)

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Capman said:

If you can think of a similar shorthand for the board have no idea what they are doing and need to go feel free to tell me what it is. The failure of City to challenge and move forward, our total lack of ambition and our lack of a plan is boring. But supporters need to be united in challenging it. Week in, week out. Because up to now the owners are simply not listening. I am not prepared to criticise Manning, the malaise at our club is down to others. 

I fully agree with the sentiment, all I am saying is how boring it is to keep quoting the "front foot, top 6" meme every five minutes .

• Like 2
  • Flames 1
35 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Connolly is a good player.........but what a bloody wimp!! Leggings, down for about half an hour, signaling to come off then playing another 20 minutes. Quality strike in the middle of all of the drama though.

Seemed to be permanently fiddling with his shorts 😕 perhaps his leggings were giving him gyp. He was an annoying little sod 🤨

• Like 2
8 hours ago, Davefevs said:

At the time you posted this, I thought we were just swinging momentum towards us, Hull got out of their press with Seri a couple of times but that was it.  We were beginning to suffocate them imho.

The substitutions made all the difference Williams was immense in midfield allowing Knight and Mehmeti more space to run at them up till hen we were very slow getting forward

1 hour ago, Numero Uno said:

Was thinking that last night, must be so frustrating to watch as a Hull fan. Bags of quality but spent more of the game on his arse than his feet.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Numero Uno said:

Great player and great goal, but what an absolute shithouse. Lying on the ground to break up an attack as if shot from a sniper's rifle. Cheeky smile to the Dolman when booed. Bounce around goal celebration. 

Hate him with a passion. Would love to have him in the team.

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

'Hate' isn't what I would say, 'annoying bastard' would be my choice of description but, apart from that, I totally agree with your post.

Good player.

Yeah, 'hate' only insofar as annoyed the hell out of me last night. Would like his good qualities in the team but his 'housery.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, johnbytheriver said:

Song for the oldies

Who is the tall dark stranger there?

Anis the Maverick is his name

Running down the wing to god knows where?

Pring is his companion,dribbling is his game.

ok! i will get my coat!

" ok! i will get my coat! " is a great way to end your song, but doesn't make sense.

Come to think of it, "Song for the oldies" is an odd opening line too.

47 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Hull's penalty was soft as hell, having just watched the above link.

It wasn’t a pen simple as , absolute joke of a decision,

refs wonder why they don’t get respected - that decision is one reason why saying that players cheating doesn’t help matters he just fell to the ground 

• Like 1
9 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Really enjoyed that game. Friday night games are always special. 

We seemed to play less Manning ball and played a style which more suits these players and our club. 

Really good atmosphere too. 

Fantastic atmosphere, was always going to be lively being Black Friday but felt like the players and crowd were feeding off each other last night. You can see the difference it makes on the pitch when it’s like that. 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

It was interesting watching last night. We seemed (at times) to be playing a high block , is that even a thing?
Pushed up but let their CB/FB/keeper pass and block lines, only when they looked to have run out of ideas did we trigger a real press. 
I did like that occasionally their keeper went longer quicker, put them in good positions on a few occasions . Something we should have done , TC was in space between the CBs several times and on the move , didn't get that pass once.

I know the build up can be a bit deliberate at times, it's still early days I guess , but you can see what they are trying to do. Well , if you're patient , my mate and some around us screaming to get it forward, then moaning when we lose it.

Can't please all the people etc etc ;)

The pressing triggers are becoming more apparent each game.  Can’t always execute perfectly, but you can see the intention.

Definitely they want the keeper to go long, so try to block the CBs in our 442 w/o the ball.  Knight and Conway trying to stop the CBs receiving, but not aggressively.

When the ball goes into the full-back, then they both shuffle across and try to squeeze that half of the pitch and we try to go tight on balls into midfield.  Trying to force them long or risky passes into midfield or winger / wide-forward.

The third pressing option occurs when the CB is forced a bit wider by the other CB or GK’s pass, ie outside of the lines of the 18 yard box, because all the angles for the CB get narrower.  There was one occasion last night (first half) where  Conway and Knight forced Jones into a wide right position and Mehmeti took his trigger to go aggressively tight to Christie at RB, Pring tight to Delap and TGH to Morton.  Everything spot on…apart from a great touch by Seri took James out.  But you have to give Seri credit, because otherwise it was a very cohesive press.

5 hours ago, exAtyeoMax said:

Seemed to be permanently fiddling with his shorts 😕 perhaps his leggings were giving him gyp. He was an annoying little sod 🤨

Reminds me of the joke about a bloke down the pub with his his mates and saying “when I get home tonight I’m gonna rip my wife’s knicker off….theyve been digging in all night” 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
10 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

The pressing triggers are becoming more apparent each game.  Can’t always execute perfectly, but you can see the intention.

Definitely they want the keeper to go long, so try to block the CBs in our 442 w/o the ball.  Knight and Conway trying to stop the CBs receiving, but not aggressively.

When the ball goes into the full-back, then they both shuffle across and try to squeeze that half of the pitch and we try to go tight on balls into midfield.  Trying to force them long or risky passes into midfield or winger / wide-forward.

The third pressing option occurs when the CB is forced a bit wider by the other CB or GK’s pass, ie outside of the lines of the 18 yard box, because all the angles for the CB get narrower.  There was one occasion last night (first half) where  Conway and Knight forced Jones into a wide right position and Mehmeti took his trigger to go aggressively tight to Christie at RB, Pring tight to Delap and TGH to Morton.  Everything spot on…apart from a great touch by Seri took James out.  But you have to give Seri credit, because otherwise it was a very cohesive press.

I thought the block & press were pretty good, but what I meant (probably didn't come across in my post) was I liked that the keeper took the opportunity to go long before he was forced to, and that we should do that on occasions.
Tommy takes up some good positions , on the shoulder and pulling between CB's with acres of grass behind him. Just every now and agin I'd like to see us go long or past TC and give him a run against the CB. We never got that early ball away to test the CB's on the ground enough. The only one I remember was Nahki, and that time the CB used his strength well and stopped Nahki getting past. 
There were several times the through ball was on, we can see it and it looked like the player on the ball was looking at "That" pass only to go back/sideways . I know the view is very different on the grass , but it makes some people think we are being over cautious.

• Like 3