IGNORED

The Lansdowns - What Do People Actually Want

Tim Monaghan

2 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

So to go back to my original question, which previous owners do you think have done better than the Lansdowns?

Which previous owners spent anywhere near what the Lansdown’s have? Whether you think they have done good, bad or indifferent I think they could have done better given the spend. At least one season in the Prem SHOULD have been achieved.

13 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Nowhere near.

Its good.

There will obviously be responses of “they are a PL club” blah, blah.  In which case the question should’ve been framed differently.

@Ghost Rider the other day you asked someone to explain “state of the art” as opposed to “good” (or whatever word was used).

Heres an example.  You can make your own judgement now.

• Like 6

They used to frustrate me but honestly it isn’t that bad. You look at our current spell in the championship, it is usually bigger clubs and PP clubs being promoted. You are usually looking at one promotion spot at best to grab between 24 teams. 

Manning is the first hire we have made that is on the “up.” He’s had setbacks in his career like all managers but he has naturally progressed. LJ wasn’t stellar anywhere before he come here. Holden didn’t deserve an interview. NP not done anything notable in almost 10 years when he got here. For me, it is a sign they are maybe getting things right for once. Track record says, even if I am right, that they will do something daft to waste it. That is the frustration is that when city is at a big moment for their future they usually squander it.

What I want them to do now is back the bloke you hired. Keep him heavily involved in recruitment and help him build a squad for the way he wants to play. Not the way you think we should play. Even though I think Manning’s style is more what they want just let him be involved. The academy is fine for bringing in some depth but don’t hold back the first team for a year because someone from the academy might come good. 

Genuine question for those who want them to sell up, is there anyone actually out there you’d want to buy us and take us forward? 

As for what I’d like, just square pegs in square holes, it’s pretty clear that Pearson’s sacking wasn’t for footballing reasons and yet we have a seemingly over promoted chairman and technical director in positions of influence making that less and less likely 

Edited by East Londoner
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

They used to frustrate me but honestly it isn’t that bad. You look at our current spell in the championship, it is usually bigger clubs and PP clubs being promoted. You are usually looking at one promotion spot at best to grab between 24 teams. 

Manning is the first hire we have made that is on the “up.” He’s had setbacks in his career like all managers but he has naturally progressed. LJ wasn’t stellar anywhere before he come here. Holden didn’t deserve an interview. NP not done anything notable in almost 10 years when he got here. For me, it is a sign they are maybe getting things right for once. Track record says, even if I am right, that they will do something daft to waste it. That is the frustration is that when city is at a big moment for their future they usually squander it.

What I want them to do now is back the bloke you hired. Keep him heavily involved in recruitment and help him build a squad for the way he wants to play. Not the way you think we should play. Even though I think Manning’s style is more what they want just let him be involved. The academy is fine for bringing in some depth but don’t hold back the first team for a year because someone from the academy might come good. 

Yes, back the man they hired. It’s that simple now.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, maxjak said:

Nice............But Nowhere near the best in the division?   Are you sure about that?

Have you ever seen Leicester's training ground?????? Or Southampton's?

Our HPC provides no more facilities than the majority of Champ teams these days. Nor the stadium.

Yes, it's a big improvement on our previous facilities but just because it's all new and exciting for us doesn't mean it's "best in class".

All we've done is catch up with our rivals after lagging behind them for years. That's it. We've brought ourselves into the twenty first century, years after tinpot rivals sailed past us.

That's not to be ungrateful.

At all.

It needed doing and Lansdown is the owner who's actually delivered, after plenty of talk but little action from a lot of his predecessors.

For that we are all grateful.

But it doesn't exempt him from criticism about his footballing decisions.

Edited by Merrick's Marvels
  • Like 7
  • Flames 1

I have always felt supportive of the Lansdowns. But my faith in the regime has been shaken by two things:

1 - How Mark Ashton and LJ were seemingly allowed to spend many flagrantly, leading to a bloated squad and financial constraints that had us in a real mess. 

2. The sacking of NP….or at least the narrative that went with it. Top 6 squad? Do they really believe that?

What do I want to happen? I really don’t know. Part of me thinks fresh impetus is needed. Part of me worries about what new owners would be like. But the balance has certainly tipped to the former. 

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, ashton_fan said:

I've been watching City for over 50 years and seen a few owners come and go. There have always been some supporters who moan about the owners whoever's been in charge. I believe the Lansdown family has done more than any others by a mile, so I would ask those complaining who do you think did a better job than the Lansdowns at BCFC in the last 50 years? You might say Harry Dolman, who was the owner when I started watching City, but many fans complained he didn't spend enough on signing players and called him "Scrooge", whoever's been in charge here there have been a few people complaining. I'd be interested to hear what people think about previous owners.

The guys who saved us from going out of business really put themselves in the spotlight.

I believe one of them remortgaged his only home to put money into the club.

If you offered SL the chance to walk away at break even he’d snatch your hand off.

Anyone seriously believe it hasn’t been a ego thing?

Who would appoint their son to be the figurehead of a company who had zero experience, unless you were egotistical? 

1 hour ago, maxjak said:

Just to point out that they won the Premiership a few years ago........Were in the Prem last season, and will be in the Prem next season..........is that really the best example you can dig up ?   Ha!!   

You challenged the statement that the HPC wasn't the best in the division.

Nothing about what division other teams have or haven't been in or what they have or haven't won.

The statement you challenged wasn't "the HPC is the best facilities of any Champ club that hasnt been in the Premier league".

Not that there are many of those left, bar the perennial under achievers Bristol City.

Edited by Merrick's Marvels
  • Flames 1

Just now, Mr Popodopolous said:

There is a bit gap between Leicester and us and a host of clubs though.

I reckon we are probably top half for training ground facilities, top third maybe..while since I've looked in depth.

It’s a great “training ground” for a mid-table Championship club, we can all agree on that!!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

It’s a great “training ground” for a mid-table Championship club, we can all agree on that!!

Off the top of my head.

Am thinking Coventry, Plymouth, Birmingham, Preston, Sheffield Wednesday, let alone Rotherham and sides like this.

Hull, some of these have been to t the PL.

Hazard a guess, Leicester, Leeds, Southampton, Sunderland, West Brom probably, Norwich probably, Middlesbrough likely...Watford who knows all I expect have superior facilities in a training sense.

Can't forget Stoke either. Bet365 and all that.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

To answer the title and not read the bollox, what people want is success. It’s that simple!

Many think that the decision making around team affairs has been completely flawed for nearly 45 years and SL and now JL are the latest iteration of idiocy. And they would be right! 

The clubs complete inability to communicate with supporters over the past three years since Steve announced he was ‘looking for investment’ is unarguable. 

So if they want to leave ok. But it wasn’t the supporters that started the animosity around our major shareholders it’s the Lansdowns themselves that treated the supporters like they were nobody’s, individually of course they are but as a group they god damn are not!

The whole nest egg thing was like waving a red flag to a bull and the idiocy around JL and BT over Pearson put the tin hat on it. Pun intended. 

If JL came out and said I am in the hot seat and I have no intention of bailing out or staying away and anchors his ******* Yacht off WSM then we might be able to turn the relationship between the major shareholders and supporters around! 

THAT IS ON JL not me and the rest of our supporters!

• Like 3
  • Flames 4

3 hours ago, Alessandro said:

Off top of head -

20 years of the same mistakes over and over again - 20 years of underachievement:

Taking far too long to put in place the necessary infrastructure at the club.

Far too many awful appointments - jobs for the boys and poor promotions from within - See above - same mistake again and again.

Inability to put the right people in the right positions of power at the club.

Flip flopping between ‘plans’ - seeing us going round and round in circles.

Complete inability to work with people with opposing views - meaning they’re increasingly shut in their own echo chamber (which 20 years has shown is an echo chamber of poor decision making and planning)

Worse of all the increased levels of arrogance and disregard towards fans…”my money my club”

Such a shame as what a legacy he could have had. Maybe still time to rescue it before he sells..

What he said.

Also, Typical British response to any situation no matter how bad it is, "could be worse", Steve bought the club and did XY & Z, so "could be worse"...yes, but it "could be better", i don't understand the assumption that if someone else owned the club it would automatically be worse?

Steve has done as a lot for Bristol City but damn its taken a LONG time and now he's lost interest, and given the club as a play thing to his son. Bring on the foreign investor i say.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, mason said:

We are the push bike which they are happy to push around and around in circles, when all they need to do is get on it and ride it somewhere; yes you may fall off a few times but if you are too scared to get on it then we are going nowhere.

SC promotion winning and cup winning manager wasnt even backed for a year after that record breaking season, and our latest proven reject manager who has prev taken a club to the prem again was not backed enough dispite selling off our best player YET AGAIN.

Manning seems to be doing ok but will the Lansdowns back him with a decent transfer budget....doubtfull. I fully expect us to build again with BT`s "stars" and lose our best this summer.

Love it for them to give 10mil this next window....not going to happen is it.

In some ways this summer could be a better one to invest but I know what you mean.

The accounts last season were worse than anticipated..hopefully Vyner, Pring and Bell all getting new deals combined with the Scott sale will allievate some issues.

My next concern on this front maybe Conway..his contract expires summer 2025 and there appears to be no option in our favour on there.

8 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Exactly.  It doesn’t smack of “aspire to be in the PL” though, does it.  It’s nice, it’s decent for the Champ, but that’s not where we aim to be, is it?  It might’ve been the best we could achieve with the money / land available, and to that, “nice one”, but it ain’t PL quality from reading those who would know.

• Like 1

Just now, Davefevs said:

Exactly.  It doesn’t smack of “aspire to be in the PL” though, does it.  It’s nice, it’s decent for the Champ, but that’s not where we aim to be, is it?  It might’ve been the best we could achieve with the money / land available, and to that, “nice one”, but it ain’t PL quality from reading those who would know.

Although if we got to the Premier League a good slug of cash could be used to improve it. I’m sure they future proofed it……….

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

To answer the title and not read the bollox, what people want is success. It’s that simple!

Many think that the decision making around team affairs has been completely flawed for nearly 45 years and SL and now JL are the latest iteration of idiocy. And they would be right! 

The clubs complete inability to communicate with supporters over the past three years since Steve announced he was ‘looking for investment’ is unarguable. 

So if they want to leave ok. But it wasn’t the supporters that started the animosity around our major shareholders it’s the Lansdowns themselves that treated the supporters like they were nobody’s, individually of course they are but as a group they god damn are not!

The whole nest egg thing was like waving a red flag to a bull and the idiocy around JL and BT over Pearson put the tin hat on it. Pun intended. 

If JL came out and said I am in the hot seat and I have no intention of bailing out or staying away and anchors his ******* Yacht off WSM then we might be able to turn the relationship between the major shareholders and supporters around! 

THAT IS ON JL not me and the rest of our supporters!

Some excellent posts on here, but 🙌🏻🙌🏻🙌🏻🙌🏻 for this one.

I wonder if the OP, having posted the question, now has an appreciation for how some of us feel (has now grasped what ) the issue is, and what we want.  What we want is individual to each person.

Edited by Davefevs
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Although if we got to the Premier League a good slug of cash could be used to improve it. I’m sure they future proofed it……….

Unless SL can persuade the golf club to the left or the school to the right to sell there is no further room for expansion.

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Some excellent posts on here, but 🙌🏻🙌🏻🙌🏻🙌🏻 for this one.

I wonder if the OP, having posted the question, now has an appreciation for how some of us feel (has now grasped)  the issue is, and what we want.  What we want is individual to each person.

Thanks Dave.

I’m not sure about the OP, his affiliations and intentions. But there it is. What I think in a nutshell 

The Lansdown family have made their intentions to sell clear, so I’m not sure what else there is to say except goodbye. 

Unless they JL, states they are staying and start communicating with the plebs, I mean fans, the situation won’t change. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Numero Uno said:

Which previous owners spent anywhere near what the Lansdown’s have? Whether you think they have done good, bad or indifferent I think they could have done better given the spend. At least one season in the Prem SHOULD have been achieved.

Isn't that the point.?

We have genuine fans, ploughing tens/hundreds of millions into our club.

Where do you think we'd be without them, seriously..?!.

It's not as if (surprisingly) that we've heard reports of numerous takeover bids being turned down.

I'd go so far as to say that, bearing in mind our overheads to match ambitions) we'd be in a worse place than Rovers are now.

We had a decent sized, but we'll outdated ground. Little to no commercial or non match day revenue. 

Little to no match day revenue around the ground - yet always the expectation to succeed. 

We lose £20million plus per year now, yet it's not been a concern for us (as supporters) because the Lansdowns pay it all off.

I think some people's entitled expectations lead them to believe we deserve better - nobody deserves better.

Yes, we could have done better - but anyone who holds no gratitude for what that family have done for us amazes me. 

Without them we'd be lucky to still be in existence, let alone a struggling 3rd/4th tier club with a shithold of a decent sized ground & still training at the a local field somewhere.

Agreed, we've not got there, but we've never been closer to being ready for the Prem now & that is entirely thanks to them (even though some think it's because of them.!)

We all know they make mistakes & we could/should have achieved more - but imagine, just for moment, if they hadn't ever been here - we'd probably be landing our token support to FGR..!

• Flames 2

1 minute ago, Numero Uno said:

Fair enough but you could make the facility as it stands even better (internally I mean) I would have thought.

State of the art gym, pool, cryo room etc, the issue is that the facilities are being used not just for the first team, but U21, U18, Women, Academy teams, some pitches shared with the school, hence pitch and gym time has to be scheduled to fit everyone in.

First team come first second and last as it should be, the others fit in.

The nearest we have got to the Premership was in 2008 Steve was chairman at that point. In eight days time it will be 2024. During that period lots of other so called small teams have got their. Some only lasted one season, some longer. Yes we have a great stadium, training ground etc.  So in the last 15 years we have never been close to going up. But Steve is still their or are you going to say Jon is. You may say but Steve has cleared a lot of our finantcial loses. I would say he is chairman so he is in charge of the club, so that is down to him. I do worry that if we get a new owner it could turn out to be a disaster. But if you dont take a risk from time to time we will never get their.

• Like 1