IGNORED

Andi Weimann

Red Army 75

57 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Ah yes I remember that season.

Aston Villa, Derby and Nottingham Forest away minimum.

All at best sketchily disallowed. Maybe one or two others that probably were on balance correct.

That Villa game in particular was a refereeing disgrace. 
LJ received a written apology from the referee’s association. Ah well that’s ok then. 
Villa won the game they should have lost. Who knows what might have happened if we’d taken those (deserved) points. 
I think Andi was simply too fast for the officials - they assumed he mush have been offside because they couldn’t believe anyone could run/react so quickly. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

That Villa game in particular was a refereeing disgrace. 
LJ received a written apology from the referee’s association. Ah well that’s ok then. 
Villa won the game they should have lost. Who knows what might have happened if we’d taken those (deserved) points. 
I think Andi was simply too fast for the officials - they assumed he mush have been offside because they couldn’t believe anyone could run/react so quickly. 

Their penalty was appalling that game too.

Given our prowess on the road that season, Weimann putting us ahead or having just checked not getting a penalty 55 mins in..that opens the door big time for us.

If we score first or keep it 0-0 approaching the hour in a 6 pointer with our counter attacking nous, well who the hell knows!

That said O'Leary was superb but he did in a sense did his job, we did ours...the officials were found wanting.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Maltshoveller said:

Has been a great signing for us

Scores 1 in 4

Runs his sock off and gives 100%

Agree. Didn’t occur to me . We signed him nearly six years ago . He’s been a brilliant signing . You’d love a squad of andi wiemann’s at any club at our level . Top pro 

That disallowed goal at Aston Villa was really odd if you look at it phase by phase. Albeit highlights may distort the whole picture.

01:22-01:46.

Usually when you're playing an offside trap or similar or are sure if yourselves arms may go in the air at time of cross or similar. Aston Villa players went up after Weimann had scored and then it was disallowed.

Very unusual that...

The penalty was soft as shit, looked as if the player 'fouled' handled it too if anything with both hands.

• Like 1

Put him within 12 yards of the goal and I'd still back him over anyone else in the squad I think. He's so clinical and I'm really glad he got his goal.

If he can start coming on in the last 30 and chipping in with the odd goal I'd be delighted. I'm not sure he's quite what Manning would be after if he wasn't already here, but he's a top professional and still had something to offer imo.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, BCFCGav said:

I guess as soon as he leaves or retires he’s up on the wall at the Gate. No point doing it yet or course, he’s got a few more in him.

I think so too.

As for others: Wells is on 33, Conway 19, Sykes 11, and Bell is on 10. 

I'd say it's fairly unlikely that anyone gets to 50 again soon. 

Wells might, but time and contract status is against him.

Sykes is a great player but he's rarely going to have a 10+ goal season so he's looking at needing another 4 seasons or so to get to 50.

With Conway and Bell they are young enough that there's a conflict. If they have the kind of season where they score so many that they quickly close in on 50...then they'll be sold. 

Realistically the type of player that does this for us in the modern game is a Weimann or a Diedhiou. They join us as established, slightly older players, and the score between 5 and 15 a season. Not good enough to attract buyers, not bad enough for us to get rid. 

• Like 2

@ExiledAjax Spot on but your figures are in all competitions, for league goals Wells is on 31, so no way can I see him scoring 19 more for us.

Sykes would need 5 or 6 more seasons at his current rate (not completely impossible) & as you say Conway will probably move on before he does, Bell is actually more likely because I think we are his ceiling, but he has only scored 7 of his goals in the league so still a very long way to go.

The Diedhiou, Wayne Allison type is by far the most likely but as Andi has proved nowhere near as easy as some might think.

16 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

@ExiledAjax Spot on but your figures are in all competitions, for league goals Wells is on 31, so no way can I see him scoring 19 more for us.

Sykes would need 5 or 6 more seasons at his current rate (not completely impossible) & as you say Conway will probably move on before he does, Bell is actually more likely because I think we are his ceiling, but he has only scored 7 of his goals in the league so still a very long way to go.

The Diedhiou, Wayne Allison type is by far the most likely but as Andi has proved nowhere near as easy as some might think.

Yes all comps, which is I believe what the honours board counts? Hence why Diedhiou is on it but Maynard is not.

Sorry if I've come in at cross-purposes and this is just a league goals chat.

Interesting of course that prior to his 22 goal wonder season Weimann was probably in the Sykes mould? Very good player, but not a big scorer, and we'd probably not have given him much hope of making the 50 club!

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ExiledAjax said:

Yes all comps, which is I believe what the honours board counts? Hence why Diedhiou is on it but Maynard is not.

Sorry if I've come in at cross-purposes and this is just a league goals chat.

Interesting of course that prior to his 22 goal wonder season Weimann was probably in the Sykes mould? Very good player, but not a big scorer, and we'd probably not have given him much hope of making the 50 club!

Cheers, think Andi was a 10 a season bloke up until THAT year, so might have just about got there if he hadn’t had the injury ruined one under Holden.

Sykes has definitely accelerated his scoring rate since playing further forward, none in his first 20 odd games for us, so I live in hope.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Cheers, think Andi was a 10 a season bloke up until THAT year, so might have just about got there if he hadn’t had the injury ruined one under Holden.

Sykes has definitely accelerated his scoring rate since playing further forward, none in his first 20 odd games for us, so I live in hope.

Sykes currently on 11 in 68 apps, so 6.2 games per goal.

He needs 39 goals so at that rate he needs to play another 241 matches for us (rounded). He's potentially got another 20 or so appearances this season (there being 22 league games remaining plus maybe a few FA Cup rounds).

He's 27 next August.

He's on for 10 this season if he stays fit.

It's doable, but "doing a Weimann" and having the goal-scoring season of his life at some point woul help things.

1 minute ago, ExiledAjax said:

Sykes currently on 11 in 68 apps, so 6.2 games per goal.

He needs 39 goals so at that rate he needs to play another 241 matches for us (rounded). He's potentially got another 20 or so appearances this season (there being 22 league games remaining plus maybe a few FA Cup rounds).

He's 27 next August.

He's on for 10 this season if he stays fit.

It's doable, but "doing a Weimann" and having the goal-scoring season of his life at some point woul help things.

It would but also worth pointing out those 11 have all come in his last 45 games.

A “Weimann” season would certainly help but his rate is much nearer to a goal every 4 games now.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Randy Marsh II said:

The balls left the foot so no idea, but he's offside to me there if the ball was at the foot and everyone remained in the same exact spot

his shadow is offside,looking at the angle of those of the other players, looks like it was right decision albeit a tight one

2 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

I think so too.

As for others: Wells is on 33, Conway 19, Sykes 11, and Bell is on 10. 

I'd say it's fairly unlikely that anyone gets to 50 again soon. 

Wells might, but time and contract status is against him.

Sykes is a great player but he's rarely going to have a 10+ goal season so he's looking at needing another 4 seasons or so to get to 50.

With Conway and Bell they are young enough that there's a conflict. If they have the kind of season where they score so many that they quickly close in on 50...then they'll be sold. 

Realistically the type of player that does this for us in the modern game is a Weimann or a Diedhiou. They join us as established, slightly older players, and the score between 5 and 15 a season. Not good enough to attract buyers, not bad enough for us to get rid. 

All pretty on the money. How many did Fam end up with? He got just over 50 if I'm right, 51 or 52. Meaning Weimann can surpass him as our greatest goalscorer of the past 15 or so years.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, BCFCGav said:

All pretty on the money. How many did Fam end up with? He got just over 50 if I'm right, 51 or 52. Meaning Weimann can surpass him as our greatest goalscorer of the past 15 or so years.

51 in all competitions, 46 in the league, 3 FA Cup & 2 League Cup.

For anyone who wonders how I know all this, it is on soccerbase.com 

Edited by GrahamC
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

I seem to have reopened old wounds by mentioning those offsides!

My point was 50 goals is great for him, but he would have been credited with even more if it wasn’t for poor officiating. 

We should probably give Wells a goal for every PGMOL apology letter we've received in the last 3 years. He's not the greatest penalty taker ever, but if given the penalty chances that we've been denied, I think he'd have another 4 or 5 goals.

@GrahamC another point is that I think/wonder that nearly a decade of being in the same division might have increased the chance of a player getting to 50. No relegation and no promotion must have decreased the amount of squad churn we've had.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

We should probably give Wells a goal for every PGMOL apology letter we've received in the last 3 years. He's not the greatest penalty taker ever, but if given the penalty chances that we've been denied, I think he'd have another 4 or 5 goals.

@GrahamC another point is that I think/wonder that nearly a decade of being in the same division might have increased the chance of a player getting to 50. No relegation and no promotion must have decreased the amount of squad churn we've had.

Possibly so & if you think of the likes of Scott Murray, Bob Taylor & Shaun Goater (all greats to me) a good percentage or in Goater’s case, all, of their games & goals were split between second & third tier.

Obvious but scoring goals at the higher standard is much tougher to achieve, several of our highest scorers post Millennium (Peacock, all but 2 for Thorpe) have entirely scored theirs at the third tier.

• Like 5