IGNORED

Andi Weimann

Red Army 75

13 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

That disallowed goal at Aston Villa was really odd if you look at it phase by phase. Albeit highlights may distort the whole picture.

01:22-01:46.

Usually when you're playing an offside trap or similar or are sure if yourselves arms may go in the air at time of cross or similar. Aston Villa players went up after Weimann had scored and then it was disallowed.

Very unusual that...

The penalty was soft as shit, looked as if the player 'fouled' handled it too if anything with both hands.

There’s nothing odd about it, they haven’t particularly played a trap there - he’s just strayed offside.

The linesman flagged straight away, that’s why the players hands went up after they noticed

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Don't think he was offside personally but each to their own.

That wasn’t the point… you said it was odd that they put their hands up after, which it isn’t.

As for whether it’s offside, absolutely no way you can tell from the angle or photo you posted (especially as it’s after it’s left the players foot!)

Just now, MarcusX said:

That wasn’t the point… you said it was odd that they put their hands up after, which it isn’t.

As for whether it’s offside, absolutely no way you can tell from the angle or photo you posted (especially as it’s after it’s left the players foot!)

That was the precise moment the ball was played, will try and post photo by photo but it keeps moving back and forward a bit when I try to print screen.

It's a little odd yeah, almost an after thought but nothing sinister more that perhaps they got away with one.

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

That was the precise moment the ball was played, will try and post photo by photo but it keeps moving back and forward a bit when I try to print screen.

It's a little odd yeah, almost an after thought but nothing sinister more that perhaps they got away with one.

It’s really not… the players didn’t know it was offside but the linesman had flagged, they were making the ref aware I’d imagine.

If this was any other team I don’t think you’d be spending so much time on an incident from how many years ago? 🤣

• Like 2
  • Hmmm 1

9 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

It’s really not… the players didn’t know it was offside but the linesman had flagged, they were making the ref aware I’d imagine.

If this was any other team I don’t think you’d be spending so much time on an incident from how many years ago? 🤣

Well Weimann had multiple suspect goals disallowed that season when a play-off push was tight for us.

Some on this forum seem oddly defensive of Aston Villa, I can't abide aspects of them- I recall their nauseating arrogance at this level.. in some ways good riddance! 😃

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

On 26/12/2023 at 19:55, GrahamC said:

You can reel off loads of top players & yet no one all the way back to Tom Ritchie has scored 50 league goals in the second tier or above for us until today.

He’s been a superb professional, complete team man & absolute bargain at £2m.

You don’t have to spend long thinking about some shite we have paid more for who haven’t given us a fraction back of what he has.

Big fan, delighted for him.

Looking at level 2 in the League, only 2 players have scored more than Andi's 50.

John Atyeo (1951 to 1966)  137 goals

John Galley (1967 to 1972)   83 goals

• Flames 2
  • Robin 1

1 hour ago, reddogkev said:

What a top bloke, is it fair to say he will be a club legend?  His goals have helped us remain a Championship club through some tough times.

And he seems to have played the game for as long as I can remember.

Here's hoping he gets to 60 goals.

I found it interesting that our last win at Watford was back in 2010 & he featured for the opposition..

Like Wells the sort of player who gives us credibility at this standard, often see supporters of other clubs on social media saying that Weimann always plays well against us, Wells always seems to score against us.

Both been top professionals.

• Like 3

Just now, FForbes said:

Looking at level 2 in the League, only 2 players have scored more than Andi's 50.

John Atyeo (1951 to 1966)  137 goals

John Galley (1967 to 1972)   83 goals

To be fair to Tom Ritchie, he had 4 seasons at the top level scoring around 40 there, so undoubtedly would have otherwise & is the best striker of my 50 years (missed Galley by a year).

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Well Weimann had multiple suspect goals disallowed that season when a play-off push was tight for us.

Some on this forum seem oddly defensive of Aston Villa, I can't abide aspects of them- I recall their nauseating arrogance at this level.. in some ways good riddance! 😃

Are Villa the gas in disguise for you 😂😂😂

12 minutes ago, redkev said:

Ha, I just maybe am easily triggered by their arrogance on social media during their Championship stint. The whole HS2 windfall a unique benefit material to their FFP position, goal-line tech luck.and yes stadium sale and leaseback makes it difficult to warm to them.

Thought a chunk of their fans went above and beyond tbh.

I never used to mind them before...had no notable issue at all, club with a grand history too etc.

They'll never supplant our traditional rivals obvs or the Welsh sides but there is a lot of arrogance and odd strokes of luck it would seem.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1
  • Flames 1

5 minutes ago, redkev said:

Not a massive villa hater as I use to like them in the days of Gary shaw , Tony Morley them days , also remember there fans coming in the East End ( BIG MISTAKE ) city fans had them sussed out very early personally think in that period when it was commonplace to go in the oppositions end think villa got the biggest kicking of the few that tried it , 

I do like villas atmosphere when it gets going ( very loud from all the ground not just the hole end ) 

what I don’t like is people go on about iconic ground I found it very poor for away fans and dated , also I know he’s at city now but Jack Grealish what ever you think of him ( I do like him as a person always has time for working class people and great with the kids) he is the biggest cheat in the premiership and was when he was with villa in the championship, how referees can’t see that he initiates contact and goes down so easily is beyond me , perhaps it’s not seeing how poor referees have become 

• Admin
2 minutes ago, redkev said:

what I don’t like is people go on about iconic ground I found it very poor for away fans and dated 

I've spoken with Villa fans I know about this and they simply don't know how bad it is in the away section

To be honest I've also been in the Holte End, North Stand and Trinity Road stand a few times and the facilities are no worse there than any other old ground I have visited

Grealish is the most fouled but the most easily fouled if you know what I mean.

When you put it like that about certain players sure..before my time, but know of them.

Sadly never had the privilege of a trip to Villa Park, it does sound cramped in the away end to say the least. Millwall away was cramped and a bit basic, as was some other ground I went to. Comparable?

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

To be fair to Tom Ritchie, he had 4 seasons at the top level scoring around 40 there, so undoubtedly would have otherwise & is the best striker of my 50 years (missed Galley by a year).

Perhaps the “50” should be Tier 2 and above, therefore Sir Tom gets in nicely alongside JA and JG.

• Robin 2

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Perhaps the “50” should be Tier 2 and above, therefore Sir Tom gets in nicely alongside JA and JG.

For completeness (& because I’m on holiday from work watching South Africa thrash India in the cricket), I just looked this up.

Tom scored 37 league goals for us in the second tier & then after promotion 40 top flight goals, before coming back in ‘82 under TC & scoring 24 more in the fourth tier.

101 league goals for us, at his peak against teams like Liverpool, Man City, Everton & Aston Villa, just like his great friend Gerry Gow, a City legend.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

For completeness (& because I’m on holiday from work watching South Africa thrash India in the cricket), I just looked this up.

Tom scored 37 league goals for us in the second tier & then after promotion 40 top flight goals, before coming back in ‘82 under TC & scoring 24 more in the fourth tier.

101 league goals for us, at his peak against teams like Liverpool, Man City, Everton & Aston Villa, just like his great friend Gerry Gow, a City legend.

A nice match up , between Tom and Andi Weimann 

Besides their goals , two really nice blokes and both you could guarantee %100 from in every game , whatever the game , whatever their form , a pretty rare accolade

Two of my favourite City players , probably more about the qualities I admired more than goals

Weimann is a full International , and has played in the top flight , but never a hint of any ego , ....right wing back ? Ok boss , I’m on it ......

How many players have we had over the years with an attitude that was on a par with their poor ability and not an ounce of Andis attitude.

Love him for that 

Edited by Sheltons Army
  • Like 3
  • Flames 1
  • Robin 2

53 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Did Sir Tom ever score for us in the 3rd Tier?  Has anyone ever scored in all 4 tiers?

8 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Did Sir Tom ever score for us in the 3rd Tier?  Has anyone ever scored in all 4 tiers?

No, Tom had gone to Sunderland by the time we were a third tier club. Chris Garland did so, but not aware of anyone else.

We only had 2 seasons in the bottom division so very few who played then would have done so in our 4 years at the top.

6 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Think both Ritchie and Garland may have.

Or maybe it's just played in all 4 divisions for us.

Can never remember

Tom left for Sunderland in our second division relegation season & returned when we were relegated to the fourth.

John Shaw & Chris Garland are the two who played for us in all 4 divisions.

• Like 1

Just now, GrahamC said:

Tom left for Sunderland in our second division relegation season & returned when we were relegated to the fourth.

John Shaw & Chris Garland are the two who played for us in all 4 divisions.

Did Chris score in each?  If so, that would make him the only player…some achievement.

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Did Chris score in each?  If so, that would make him the only player…some achievement.

Yep, one in the third & then one in the fourth at Darlington (I was there!) when he came back briefly & played for free under Terry Cooper.

• Robin 1

17 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

14 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Yep, one in the third & then one in the fourth at Darlington (I was there!) when he came back briefly & played for free under Terry Cooper.

Both Garland and Ritchie scored in all 4 divisions for us. The only 2 to do so.

Tom scored against Lincoln at home in 84/85. His only goal that season, only played a few times as TC built a new team.

I remember now as it was his wife who pointed this achievement out to me, Tom too modest to mention it himself!

Edited by Merrick's Marvels
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

3 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Both Garland and Ritchie scored in all 4 divisions for us. The only 2 to do so.

Tom scored against Lincoln at home in 84/85. His only goal that season, only played a few times as TC built a new team.

I remember now as it was his wife who pointed this achievement out to me, Tom too modest to mention it himself!

Cheers, must admit I was surprised when Coops moved him on to Yeovil (non league then) because I felt he still had plenty to offer.

In my mind he left after the promotion season (Trevor Morgan at Chester, etc, etc) but as you rightly point out, in an era before transfer windows, players moved on at virtually any time.

He’s probably my all time favourite player, no one (not even the bloke this thread started about) has ever made more of the talent they had, he simply never gave up. Love him.

• Like 1
  • Robin 1

I'm really pleased to see Weimann get to 50 league goals and that does give him massive credibility as a player that has made a bit contribution. It's not just the volume of goals, it's the quality too. Some absolute peaches. Then there's his attitude and work rate.

He won't go down as a legend though unless he can be a big part of a big achievement. Score the winner in the playoff final... legend status confirmed.

• Robin 1