IGNORED

Rooney pulling out all the stops - Now Sacked

Silvio Dante

Just now, Harry said:

But so were Preston during the same period Brum under Eustace were good. 
??? 

I reckon they would have done better under Eustace, dunno by how much but keep it ticking along and confidence etc can grow.

Maybe they wouldn't have maintained 18 pts 11 games type levels, or especially 14 from 6 home games.

• Like 1

Just now, Will Rollason said:

Talk sport contributor says Eustace is still on the payroll... common practise apparently...

Yep, in effect you can spread the payoff over time if you want.

Possible dual advantage is that if manager finds new job then you can (not always as it depends but can) stop paying them.

• Admin
18 minutes ago, Will Rollason said:

Talk sport contributor says Eustace is still on the payroll... common practise apparently...

Someone with a greater knowledge will know, but wasn't there a time where we were paying off three managers we had sacked?

Was thinking around the Stoke final season

• The title was changed to Rooney pulling out all the stops - Now Sacked
7 minutes ago, phantom said:

Someone with a greater knowledge will know, but wasn't there a time where we were paying off three managers we had sacked?

Was thinking around the Stoke final season

It’s likely.

At the time of the Stoke game we were managed by the triumvirate headed up by Tony Fawthrop, who was made permanent but didn’t ever manage a game as full time boss as Wilson took over (compensation to Fawthrop). Preceding TF was Pulis who went to Pompey (no compensation to Pulis) who took over from Benny (time on contract left - compensation due) who took over from Ward (although he shouldn’t have as he threw his toys, compensation due)

So in the period from about October 98- July 00 we had 5 managers (including Wilson), three of which we were paying compensation to.

And as I’ve now mentioned several ex managers, I await the thread being moved accordingly.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

34 minutes ago, BS15_RED said:

This is why I never want Yanks to ever own our club.

Yeah, I bet the likes of Aston Villa, Wrexham, Portsmouth, Plymouth, Bournemouth, Liverpool and our friends from the weekend Millwall are all gutted about their American owners!

Such a blinkered view

• Like 5

This for me was handled incredibly poorly.

1. Sacking a manager for “no fear football” only to drop from the playoffs to a relegation battle is incredibly clueless

2. A board member saying that you’re going to recruit in order to suit that style and therefore back Rooney and then sack him shortly after is utterly bizarre.

I agree with sacking him but the way it was handled was awful, interested to see who they get in next

32 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I reckon they would have done better under Eustace, dunno by how much but keep it ticking along and confidence etc can grow.

Maybe they wouldn't have maintained 18 pts 11 games type levels, or especially 14 from 6 home games.

Maybe not, we'll never know if course but I reckon it's unlikely. 

We often hear about how in the champ anyone can beat anyone else and what a tough division it is but really, apart from Ipswich on a roll after promotion, most of us could have guessed the top six as it is. 

Not to say that's how it will end and we amongst many others may make a run but broadly speaking the bigger clubs will come out on top over the course of a season by squad size/ depth if nothing else. 

Luton are an outlier though aren't they... and that's the magic of the play offs.. over 3 games all that goes out the window....😁

3 minutes ago, Charlie BCFC said:

1. Sacking a manager for “no fear football” only to drop from the playoffs to a relegation battle is incredibly clueless

2. A board member saying that you’re going to recruit in order to suit that style and therefore back Rooney and then sack him shortly after is utterly bizarre.

I agree with sacking him but the way it was handled was awful, interested to see who they get in next

Take a brave board to watch them slip into a relegation battle backing a man with his track record in management so far. Shame, I like him but maybe he needs to learn his trade somewhere?

49 minutes ago, Charlie BCFC said:

Guess we have something in common with them!

40 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Think Barton played in a win over Spain iirc 

Brought on for the last ten minutes, which was his one and only appearance for England.

I’m speaking from memory, but I think he might have replaced Lampard (or perhaps Rooney?).

Edited by PHILINFRANCE

55 minutes ago, Bazooka Joe said:

Birmingham owners want “No fear, attacking football”.

Is that the same thing as the so-called “front foot football” that we’re not getting?

All just silly jargon.

Give me plain speaking a la Brian Clough or ………..(fill this in for yourselves!)

1 hour ago, Bazooka Joe said:

Is that the same thing as the so-called “front foot football” that we’re not getting?

They hadn’t counted on all the attacking football coming from the opposition. ( an honourable exception being Liam Manning’s Threshing Machine) 

• Like 1

What Birmingham owners and Tom Brady wanted was " a name", that's the truth of it. Somebody needs to ask our Director of Football (he's the "main man" in charge of the football operation after all) how we turn our current squad of players into a front foot team - whatever that actually means. We seem to hear a lot of soundbites from the hierarchy with no "detailed" explanation ("see you in the Prem" on X being the latest nonsense). I'm sure if you went up to Liam Manning in the pub and said "why aren't we playing front foot football Liam?" he would give you a very reasonable response.........and possibly an abrupt two word response too if you caught him at a bad time!!

• Like 2

Sounds as though Rooney was happy to park the bus for a few games, get some points and build from there. No point in playing with no fear if you are going to get stuffed 4-0. Then the transfer window intervened.

2 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

I'm sure if you went up to Liam Manning in the pub and said "why aren't we playing front foot football Liam?" he would give you a very reasonable response.........and possibly an abrupt two word response too if you caught him at a bad time!!

I think he’d talk me through the process of ordering a drink, asking the barman to nearly pass me my whisky and complete the transaction before said barman then passed the drink back to the barmaid, who would then decant the drink back into the bottle before pouring it again and restarting the process. As I bemoaned my lack of drink, Liam would tell me not to get too emotional and then give me a history of whisky before apologising for overloading me with information. I’d then walk out of the pub somewhat dazed and having felt I hadn’t achieved anything, despite an xDrink level of 12 shorts. However, despite my lack of drink I could point to some fantastic stats in support of possession of my money, as I ultimately see the buying of a drink as cat and mouse and that’s the most important thing.

Or something like that.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 8

8 hours ago, Harry said:

Whilst on the face of it I’d agree, but what’s to say that Birmingham didn’t simply revert to type? 
We saw Preston have a record breaking start to the season and they’ve suddenly gone 2-1-7 in the last 10. 
Rooney is 2-3-5 (ie better than PNE). 

Lowe is still at Preston presiding over the worsening results. What’s to say Eustace wouldn’t have also slid off? We’ll never know. 

Isn't that what we have now done? Reverted to type. Despite us now being "well coached" 

I reckon the FA have some sort of "cunning plan" to try and produce a young English manager to go on and lead the national team to world domination. 

Hence the on going recycling of the seemingly hapless Messrs Lampard, Rooney - and of course Johnson - at club level.

1 hour ago, Silvio Dante said:

I think he’d talk me through the process of ordering a drink, asking the barman to nearly pass me my whisky and complete the transaction before said barman then passed the drink back to the barmaid, who would then decant the drink back into the bottle before pouring it again and restarting the process. As I bemoaned my lack of drink, Liam would tell me not to get too emotional and then give me a history of whisky before apologising for overloading me with information. I’d then walk out of the pub somewhat dazed and having felt I hadn’t achieved anything, despite an xDrink level of 12 shorts. However, despite my lack of drink I could point to some fantastic stats in support of possession of my money, as I ultimately see the buying of a drink as cat and mouse and that’s the most important thing.

Or something like that.

He sounds like my kind of drinking buddy 🤣🤣🤣