IGNORED

Desperately Seeking…Investment

Davefevs

23 minutes ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

As per the point I made in my post, perhaps the structure is interim, could even be with the investor taking over the day to day running and JL taking a back seat.... who knows what discussions could be ongoing

Bear in mind that we are speculating on this thread based on what Man Utd have done. There isn't actually any indication that there are any negotiations going on with any potential minority investor.

Remember also that Jon told us categorically that the football operation doesn't need a CEO. When challenged on that at the Senior Reds he compounded it by saying we didn't need one because Tinnion was growing into the job. So the Technical Director is also fulfilling at least some of the CEO function? Really?

Of course that could just be Jon's usual hapless communication but on the evidence available I'm not inclined to credit him with cunning strategic thinking.

Edited by chinapig
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Maybe @ExiledAjax then?

I had a bit of a look at other club structures when we appointed Manning. I wanted to see if any had neither a manager nor a CEO.

I didn't really take notes or records, but my memory is that there were very, very few in the Champ or Prem who have a set up like ours. Maybe one other...I want to say Rotherham for some reason?

Again, no research to show this but I'd stake a small fortune on the fact that none have the trinity of a) no CEO, b) a "head coach" not manager, and c) a board comprising the owner's son and one other.

I think someone else did take a more detailed look recently. But I cannot for the life of me remember who.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Bear in mind that we are speculating on this thread based on what Man Utd have done. There isn't actually any indication that there are any negotiations going on with any potential minority investor.

Remember also that Jon told us categorically that the football operation doesn't need a CEO. When challenged on that at the Senior Reds he compounded it by saying we didn't need one because Tinnion was growing into the job. So the Technical Director is also fulfilling at least some of the CEO function? Really?

Of course that could just be Jon's usual hapless communication but on the evidence available I'm not inclined to credit him with cunning strategic thinking.

Quite all speculation, but JL volunteered about investors with expertise, and as stated the current setup is unlikely to have a minority investor wanting to carry on with the current set up, so likely to be adding experience and have input at the most senior level, what ever that revamp looks like. Of course it does not mean anything is in the pipeline, but an alternative to selling wholesale 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ExiledAjax said:

I had a bit of a look at other club structures when we appointed Manning. I wanted to see if any had neither a manager nor a CEO.

I didn't really take notes or records, but my memory is that there were very, very few in the Champ or Prem who have a set up like ours. Maybe one other...I want to say Rotherham for some reason?

Again, no research to show this but I'd stake a small fortune on the fact that none have the trinity of a) no CEO, b) a "head coach" not manager, and c) a board comprising the owner's son and one other.

I think someone else did take a more detailed look recently. But I cannot for the life of me remember who.

Yes, Rotherham were one iirc, another was Plymouth.  There was one more, one of the big clubs….Wednesday?

Still with insurance sponsorships, listing on the NYSE, even odder a 2nd tier club as part of a group listed on the HKSE with a US minority investor with a parent having ties to the Cayman Islands presumably for tax reasons, the Turkish Simon Cowell at a 2nd tier Northern club in an unremarkable city...a US mining pension fund at Ipswich, a third tier side at the time.

It's a long way, such a very long way from jumpers for goalposts.

Hasn't looked further away actually.

I often wonder how those tasked with bringing a major investor/s into Bristol City might go about things?.

Would it be all about "unfulfilled potential" - a line often taken by commentators when talking/writing about the club and its place in English footballing history?.

If so, how exactly would that "potential" manifest itself in real terms?.

To be fair there isn't much of a legacy to build on football - wise is there?.  I  never did understand the "sleeping giant" analogy when applied to us.

I'd be genuinely interested to know how folk feel the issue of attracting investment into Bristol City would be best approached?.

1 minute ago, Red_Alligator said:

I often wonder how those tasked with bringing a major investor/s into Bristol City might go about things?.

Would it be all about "unfulfilled potential" - a line often taken by commentators when talking/writing about the club and its place in English footballing history?.

To be fair there isn't much of a legacy to build on football - wise is there?.  I  never did understand the "sleeping giant" analogy when applied to us.

I'd be genuinely interested to know how folk feel the issue of attracting investment into Bristol City would be best approached?.

“Have your slice of the PL pie”?

I'll stick in the start of a sales pitch..and then certain other areas could see a row back.*

1) Good facilities, both at the ground and Training Ground- already in place.

2) Growing revenue generated from the stadium itself on non matchdays which could assist with propelling the club onwards and upwards. Yet with room for growth in both football and non football areas.

3) A growing fanbase in the medium term yet with further room for growth if on-pitch success should follow. Potentially if demand for tickets rises following success, further revenue streams and monetisation can be pursued.

4) An increasingly productive academy, which can serve a dual purpose of both providing players for the first team and potentially saleable assets- pure profit, to assist with matters such as Cash Flow, Profit and Loss etc.

5l A fairly commercially minded city, which is quite prosperous and vibrant- which can make AGL a good venue for hotels, trade shows, concerts etc- to really (god I'm not  fan of the phrase) 'sweat the asset'.

5) Despite the strong growth of football revenue and non-football revenue alike, further room for growth remains..to name a few.

A) Stadium naming rights.

B) Individual Stand naming rights.

C) HPC naming rights.

Maybe even get some collective naming rights across Bristol Sport, highest value possible.

Could you get naming rights to the Sports Bar if it really takes off or is that a bit fanciful.

6) The last point, as yet still pending. The Sporting Quarter, which can take both Commercial Revenue on non matchday and by extension in some respects revenue streams for the football to levels not yet seen at Ashton Gate and reduce the owner investor input as far as possible- ultimately increasing opportunities for promotion to the revenue streams of the Premier League.

I'm sure there is also loads more but that is just a start. I hate most of it btw, leaves me a bit cold..didn't get into football to analyse numbers and revenue streams, don't think any of us did!!

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I'll stick in the start of a sales pitch..and then certain other areas could see a row back.*

1) Good facilities, both at the ground and Training Ground- already in place.

2) Growing revenue generated from the stadium itself on non matchdays which could assist with propelling the club onwards and upwards. Yet with room for growth in both football and non football areas.

3) A growing fanbase in the medium term yet with further room for growth if on-pitch success should follow. Potentially if demand for tickets rises following success, further revenue streams and monetisation can be pursued.

4) An increasingly productive academy, which can serve a dual purpose of both providing players for the first team and potentially saleable assets- pure profit, to assist with matters such as Cash Flow, Profit and Loss etc.

5l A fairly commercially minded city, which is quite prosperous and vibrant- which can make AGL a good venue for hotels, trade shows, concerts etc- to really (god I'm not  fan of the phrase) 'sweat the asset'.

5) Despite the strong growth of football revenue and non-football revenue alike, further room for growth remains..to name a few.

A) Stadium naming rights.

B) Individual Stand naming rights.

C) HPC naming rights.

Maybe even get some collective naming rights across Bristol Sport, highest value possible.

Could you get naming rights to the Sports Bar if it really takes off or is that a bit fanciful.

6) The last point, as yet still pending. The Sporting Quarter, which can take both Commercial Revenue on non matchday and by extension in some respects revenue streams for the football to levels not yet seen at Ashton Gate and reduce the owner investor input as far as possible- ultimately increasing opportunities for promotion to the revenue streams of the Premier League.

I'm sure there is also loads more but that is just a start. I hate most of it btw, leaves me a bit cold..didn't get into football to analyse numbers and revenue streams, don't think any of us did!!

That's a healthy list Pops! I must admit I hadn't thought of including 4), which is a really good one.

I listened to a podcast earlier on today. 

Some guy had set up a tech company. He admitted he knew absolutely nothing about tech but all he knew was he wanted a tech company. So what he did to be successful was employ highly skilled persons from the tech industry. He knew he didn't have the skills required so he leaned on those that did and he was quite happy doing so. 

He eventually sold the company on for like 100 million. 

This reminded me of the Lansdowns and their total inability to employ skilled experienced people. The only time they do so is when they need pulling out of a hole they've gotten us into. 

They simply do not like people like Alexander telling them that they are doing things wrong. 

If you look throughout the club there is an extreme lack of experience and that's how the Lansdowns like it. The do not like to be challenged. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I listened to a podcast earlier on today. 

Some guy had set up a tech company. He admitted he knew absolutely nothing about tech but all he knew was he wanted a tech company. So what he did to be successful was employ highly skilled persons from the tech industry. He knew he didn't have the skills required so he leaned on those that did and he was quite happy doing so. 

He eventually sold the company on for like 100 million. 

This reminded me of the Lansdowns and their total inability to employ skilled experienced people. The only time they do so is when they need pulling out of a hole they've gotten us into. 

They simply do not like people like Alexander telling them that they are doing things wrong. 

If you look throughout the club there is an extreme lack of experience and that's how the Lansdowns like it. The do not like to be challenged. 

Well, I think that we can all agree that the Lansdown ice cream has been well and truly crapped on there. 

4 hours ago, Red_Alligator said:

There are 4 clubs in the Championship this season who have never played in the Prem. Milwall, Rotherham, Preston and ourselves. There are 52/53 clubs that have played in the Prem. 

So it is very much about potential. The catchment area is notable of course, only Cardiff is in our real area, but then they capture the Welsh fan. But finding 25k people to visit on 19 occasions in the prem is going to be easy. 

In terms of building a club, and maybe running comparisons, you would probably look at Leicester and Brighton as examples of what could be done, maybe Bournemouth. 

It would be very hard to say or sell an idea that Bristol could become a top 6 powerhouse, but a solid Prem club for a number of years should be possible. The ground is small , which is a negative, and would require substantial investment, 2 of the stands are old, and the ground is landlocked. Non TV money is now a big thing in the Prem finances. Hence the number of major ground expansion plans and investments. 

As ever, it will come down to £. What is being asked for the club, does Bristol Sport make any sense (rugby is a mess, and basketball a minor sport) . Investors do like London clubs , so Milwall and Charlton would appeal, indeed Milwall has American ownership. Without knowing the asking price, it is hard to say. Losing £22M a year is hardly a great calling card is it? There are loans to Pula for the ground, and for the football club, and outstanding EFL loans to repay. So there are substantial debts, to be factored in. Would a sale require repayment of those debts, or would SL write some or all of them off? It will all come down to the £. 

Whatever, a Championship club is an expensive hobby and it is why a distress sale is far more attractive. Clear the debts and take the club at a low price. ( Derby/Coventry and probably Reading next) then invest. 

Getting some Prem exposure is what BCFC needs to generate a strong valuation, such as Burnley £170M , Bournemouth £120M , Sheffield United £170M . Saying it and doing it are what SL has not been able to achieve. That is another story and discussed on other threads. 

• Like 2

On 27/12/2023 at 21:22, bcfc01 said:

As JL is now running the show, its doubtful that external investment will be forthcoming as he won't want any interference, but I wouldn't rule out investment from SL if results maintain as they are.

Nepotism rules.

Jon Lansdown would be the problem for sure.
No serious investor with high skill sets in running a business,, would want Jon Lansdown anywhere near the club. Non starter!!! #Lansdown Out.

• Facepalm 1