IGNORED

Mediterranean cruise

54-46

Thinking about doing one next year - not as a family, just me and the wife.

Looking at online reviews, some cruise lines seem to be a bit hit and miss - ships too big, disappointing ports of call etc.

Anyone have any experience of these and any recomendations / otherwise?

Thanks

5 minutes ago, 54-46 said:

Thinking about doing one next year - not as a family, just me and the wife.

Looking at online reviews, some cruise lines seem to be a bit hit and miss - ships too big, disappointing ports of call etc.

Anyone have any experience of these and any recomendations / otherwise?

Thanks

Love cruising and we always use P&O especially on the Arcadia which is normally child free.  It's a big ship but that gives you plenty of choice for entertainment etc. Also, we always get a Balcony Cabin so you can chill out in private if you want.

Edited by BigTone
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Done several cruises in the Med and the Red Sea with Tui, previously Thompson. 
First was only a week as we weren’t sure if we’d like cruising from Palma across to Sicily and upto southern France with a day drip to Carcassonne and then across to where Salividor Dali is buried - he was an odd character and was interred upright!

Sicily and Corsica - not much time to look around the either island as the ship is only in port for a day.

Second or third cruise we did the eastern med - that was two weeks. We sailed from Bodrum to Aleaxandria, then onto Cairo were almost all the passengers when off to see the Pyramids but having seen them before we stayed onboard and had the freedom of the ship. 
We got chatting with another couple who were far more experienced with cruises and they’d tried all the different companies and reckoned that Tui (Thompson) were the best value for money of them all. 
The food is wonderful with loads of it! with an accessible buffet available 24/7 if you feel peckish!

The shows are also amazing and are equal in quality to the touring shows where you can easily pay £60 a ticket for crap seats! 

If you book thru a travel agent always ask about the cost of the inclusive drinks package - it’s excellent vfm and cost us and extra £50 each pw which easily covered the amount of booze we consumed. We had very decent wine at dinner every evening. 
We weren’t aware of package on our first cruise but other passengers told us about it - we weren’t told by the travel agent about it and when we booked the second time we were told it wasn’t available - we told her utter nonsense and she made enquiries and we booked it - no apology tho!

One thing to be aware of is the day trips - they’re not cheap. That said with visited the Holy Land including Jerusalem and the Bethlehem. That was an amazing experience and what we saw there would mean a separate thread!

I would thoroughly recommend a cruise - you could do as we did and just book a week to see if you like it.

Edited by Robbored
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Robbored said:

One thing to be aware of is the day trips - they’re not cheap.

You are correct as they aren't. In saying that you don't go on a cruise to continually watch the pennies. We visited a Mayan ruin in Progresso, Mexico and it was just amazing.  Helped our understanding and appreciation of their history when watching the movie Apocalypto a while later.

Can't think of a day trip we did that wasn't worth the money.

Further we always book direct with P&O and that way we know exactly what is available without a 3rd party input. 

Things like dining preferences need some consideration also.  We always get the first sitting for dinner as that way you have plenty of time to take in the evening shows.

Edited by BigTone

We did our first on earlier this year, departed from Southampton which was so easy it's unreal, give them the keys to your car they take your cases park your car and by the time you get to your room cases are there!

We took in 2 stops in northern Spain, Porto and Lisbon (overnight) in Portugal and Guernsey on the return

All in all was a fantastic experience, went with p and o, couldn't fault them really had a balcony cabin (highly recommend) and went for the earlier sitting at dinner as then as said above you could get to all the shows

Entertainment on board was great and the dining, both food and service was superb.

Never did any organised trips ashore instead did our own thing and again it was great.

We were both a bit apprehensive as although we have travelled the world had never been on a cruise and in all honesty it had never really appealed, the outcome .................. Can't wait to go again

Do it properly, be selective where you wanna go and you will love it

Cruising into Porto on a sunny morning with hardly anyone about is a sight I will never forget

Hope the above helps in your decision

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Did it once for 2 weeks around the Med from Southampton, on Independence of the sea, which at the time was the biggest cruise ship. Had to wait for low tide, just to get under the bridge by about 6 foot in Porto...freaking massive. 

Expect to put on a stone in weight, and watch everyone else do the same :laugh:

Drinks packages are worth it. 

Had a middle cabin, with balcony which I highly recommend. 

Research the planned trips. Port Cities are great, but if you have to travel 2 hours each way inland, hardly worth it. 

My experience was ok...haven't done one since. 

I found it too crowded, and sadly for me, our organised dinners were formal, ( it doesn't have to be) so being in a dinner suit in 35 degree heat , sweating my nuts off wasn't much fun. 

Would consider doing it again on a much smaller vessel maybe up the Fyords. 

• Thanks 1