IGNORED

Birmingham City away match thread

To return to a theme, 64% possession and 250 more passes than the opposition. Leads to a step down in performance - however I think this was more due to the fact that Brum lacked confidence and let us have the ball, seeking to sit deep and take a point - as against an intent to change the style.

What it does iterate, again, for whatever reason, is we’re better without the ball. That being said I thought we were the better team and had Mehmeti scored with one or two very presentable chances we win that.

The next question is do managers of opposition teams let us have the ball more now having seen results/performances with and without?

• Like 4

Taking positives from that we reduced them to next to no chances, snuffed out any of their counters when we were pressing. They had a short spell of domination after their tripple sub but it was very short lived.

I think if Mehmeti takes either of those chances first half then it would be looked on as a clinical performance.

Draw was definitely a fair enough result, it would have been unjust if we lost but we really didn't do anywhere near enough to be able to walk away feeling hard done by not to win even though we were slightly the better side.

not an enjoyable watch. somewhat comforted by a point away from home, but barely. disappointing result after watford and with such a promising starting lineup. just felt like such haphazard and aimless play. had all the purpose and skill of a punt around at the park. we really need a creative midfielder in our mix. and to stop being so hesitant to shoot. 

2 minutes ago, magnuspym said:

not an enjoyable watch. somewhat comforted by a point away from home, but barely. disappointing result after watford and with such a promising starting lineup. just felt like such haphazard and aimless play. had all the purpose and skill of a punt around at the park. we really need a creative midfielder in our mix. and to stop being so hesitant to shoot. 

We have a decent side here but we do lack an ACM who can grab the game by the scruff of the neck and score a worldie or create something in tight spaces, coupled with a pacy, powerful striker. Two big priority signings. 

• Like 2

There aren’t many games at this level that - relatively speaking - are there for the taking but within the opening 10 minutes that felt like one of them.

That said, if you’re not at your best and can’t find a way to win make sure you don’t lose and we never looked like conceding, which you can’t often say about us with the score 0-0 away from home.

If we want to be a “top-end team” (not my words) we’ll need to add a couple with genuine technical ability in the middle third IMO. 

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Gakoe said:

Lots of endeavour tonight,  just lacking a bit of quality.

Good sign that we're all disappointed with a point at St Andrews. 

Meanwhile back at St Andrews; https://www.smallheathalliance.com/read.php?1,3500626,page=13

My point was that i don’t think Rooney sees this as the way forward. He set us up like that to make sure we didn’t lose this game. We offered absolutely nothing up top.

I think he sees it as the best way to keep his job. You’re right he was desperate to not get beat tonight, that was evident. It was more fear football than no fear.

So its a pretty dispiriting stalemate that closes the year for Wayne Rooney and us…. Only seven shots in the whole game and just one of them by Blues on target with 33% possession.