IGNORED

Birmingham City away match thread

We will have the backing of a sold out away end. The full allocation of 2,000 tickets for the fixture have been snapped up with Blues confirming there will be no additional allocation and no pay on the day for away supporters.

Kick off is 745 pm.

In October they parted company with head coach John Eustace after 15 months in charge.

At the time they were sixth in the table. Today they are 19th on 27 points. Wayne Rooney took over and had this to say: https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/67090933 American-owned Blues had been linked with Rooney, who had just left his role as coach of Major League Soccer side DC United.

Known as the city of a thousand trades, Birmingham in the West Midlands was once a manufacturing powerhouse. With the jewellery and gun quarters, and the extensive canals built for goods transport, the city proudly displays the results of its amazing growth during the Industrial Revolution.

Birmingham is the second largest city in the United Kingdom in regards to population and one of the most densely populated places in the country outside of London.

One of the most interesting facts about Birmingham is that the population is on average younger than the country as a whole. The average age in the UK is 40.3 years, where as Birmingham is just 32.6. This is partially due to the large student population.

They finished in 17th place last season (on 53 points) their highest  league position in seven years. In the corresponding game last season they inflicted our heaviest defeat of the campaign, https://youtu.be/sk-gr8pC4fo

Brum are 22 in the form league with one win, two draws and three defeats in their last six games. On Boxing Day they lost at home to Stoke and were booed off at half time. Rooney said, "Ideally, you wish you could have 11 subs - as I could have changed all 11 players at half-time." And “Apart from Romelle I’m not happy with one player. Every player’s position is up for grabs because that is nowhere near good enough.In the dressing room I used young Romelle as an example, a young 17 year old kid who comes onto the pitch, wants the ball, plays with character and aggression. When I'm using a kid as an example to some senior players in there, if I'm a senior player that's a concern. They should be setting the example for Romelle, not the other way around."

They have a long injured list https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/birmingham-city-injury-marc-roberts-27366424 and Krystian Bielik is suspended.

There are sure to be more but the only player I can think of who played for both clubs is David Cotterill.

Famous fans include:

• Jasper Carrot - Comedian.
  • Colin Buchanan - Dalziel and Pascoe star.
  • Roy Wood - Xmas-loving frontman of Wizzard.
  • David Harewood - Actor (Homeland).
  • Mike Skinner - Singer from The Streets.
  • Robert McCracken - Former boxer, turned trainer.
  • Simon Fowler - Singer (Ocean Colour Scene).
  • Jeff Lynne - ELO legend.

Guide to the ground: https://footballgroundguide.com/leagues/england/championship/st-andrews-birmingham-city.html

Towards the end of August they made their ninth summer transfer window signing by bringing in striker Jay Stansfield on loan from Premier League side Fulham. Blues said they had beaten off "more than a dozen" clubs to persuade 20-year-old Devon-born Stansfield to move to St Andrew's for a season-long stay.

On deadline day they took their total of summer signings to 13 by adding the loan signings of Leeds United's Cody Drameh and Scotland international Oliver Burke.

Our head-to-head record isn’t very good

Won: 19

Lost: 38

Drawn: 17

We have won our last three games and in the last two games scored seven with seven different scorers! The last time we won four consecutive games was September 2018.

They were comfortable winners at our place in August my immediate thoughts posted on here  were that it was ‘a very underwhelming, poor and frustrating Bristol City performance, both collectively and individually, we were second-best throughout the entire game. Our opponents are an ordinary championship team, but they were running the game and in control, not due so much to their own endeavours but largely thanks to our wholly inept performance. We consistently failed to look after the ball, our passing and distribution was embarrassing (our pass completion data will be telling) and our intensity, press, energy and drive practically nonexistent!

There were two recurring themes when we had the ball. Firstly, we either passed it square or backwards in our own half or around the half way line in a very pedestrian manner which meant creating absolutely nothing and secondly, we resorted to launching a very hopeful, long ball forward, which in the majority of cases was either inaccurate or quickly and easily snuffed out by Birmingham. In fact their second goal resulted from exactly that scenario, I think it was Naismith trying to play a long ball forward which was easily intercepted and resulted in Brum breaking and adding a second goal.

It was actually painful to watch at times and I am very disappointed by that performance. I don’t mind the City losing, but I do mind when we lose without performing. We didn’t have a single attempt on goal, nor did we ever look particularly dangerous, creative or in the ascendency.

Without wishing to be dramatic it was one of the poorest performances I can recall under Pearson’s stewardship.’

Highlights: https://www.bcfc.co.uk/video/extended-highlights-bristol-city-0-2-birmingham-city/

Officials

Referee: Geoff Eltringham

Assistants: Shaun Hudson and James Wilson

Fourth official: Thomas Kirk

Pubs

About a 15 minute drive from the ground is the excellent Old Joint Stock https://www.oldjointstock.co.uk, 4 Temple Row West, Birmingham, B2 5NY

(0121) 200 1892

Opening hours

Weekdays: 11-11

Saturday: 11-11

Sunday: 12-6

This is an impressively flamboyant setting for a pint and a pie a Grade II listed building opposite Birmingham Cathedral, with chandeliers hanging from the soaring pink and gilt ceiling, gently illuminated busts lining the top of the ornately plastered walls and a splendid cupola above the centre of the room. Photographs of its historic past as a library and the Birmingham Joint Stock Bank line the walls; there's also a big dining balcony reached up a grand sweeping staircase. It's notably well run: staff remain efficient and friendly, even when it's busy. You'll find Fullers London Pride, Olivers Island, HSB, Seafarers and a guest or two on handpump, Cornish Orchards Gold cider, 17 wines by the glass and 36 gins; background music. The small and colourful back terrace has nicely quirky seats, tables and heaters. There's a purpose-built, first-floor theatre and you can book a two-course pre-theatre meal in advance.

The popular food (special diets catered for) includes breakfasts plus sandwiches, small or sharing plates, crispy squid with coriander and chilli jam, dirty halloumi fries, Vietnamese spicy chicken wings, black pudding scotch egg, Fullers Frontier-battered haddock goujons, chicken madras, speciality home-baked pies, and puddings such as chocolate brownie sundae with buffalo milk ice-cream and caramelised apple pie with vanilla custard.

The Cricketers, Little Green Lane, Birmingham, B9 5AX

The Anchor Digbeth, 308 Bradford Street, Birmingham, B5 6ET, https://www.theanchordigbeth.com Real ale buffs flock to this red-brick street-corner boozer for its ever-changing beer menu.

The Square Peg, 115 Corporation Street, Birmingham, B4 6PH, https://www.jdwetherspoon.com/pubs/all-pubs/england/west-midlands/the-square-peg-birmingham Spoons.

The Shakespeare, Lower Temple Street, Birmingham, B2 4JD, https://www.nicholsonspubs.co.uk/restaurants/eastandwestmidlands/theshakespearelowertemplestreetbirmingham#/

The Sun On The Hill, 23 Bennett\'s Hill, Birmingham, B2 5QP, http://thesunonthehill.co.uk

The Wellington, 37 Bennetts Hill, Birmingham, B2 5SN, https://www.thewellingtonrealale.co.uk Hand-pulled real ales and ciders draw in aficionados to this cream-fronted pub with outside decking.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 6
  • Robin 5
Just now, Lew-T said:

Never confident against Birmingham.

Me neither 🙈

6 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

LM presser ‘Naismith has had a set back’ 

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/video/interviews/manning-previews-blues-away/

Naismith ( set back ) starting to think time for him to be moved on if possible , saying that I did say that about Williams and ( I won’t jinx it ) so saying nothing , Shame as in Pearson days ( remember him ) I always thought we are better side with Naismith in it , 

great to hear Atkinson Roberts and some bloke from Scotland very close to being back in the squad 

reckon we might see them around West Ham time 

• Like 2
Just now, redkev said:

Me neither 🙈

Naismith ( set back ) starting to think time for him to be moved on if possible , saying that I did say that about Williams and ( I won’t jinx it ) so saying nothing , Shame as in Pearson days ( remember him ) I always thought we are better side with Naismith in it , 

great to hear Atkinson Roberts and some bloke from Scotland very close to being back in the squad 

reckon we might see them around West Ham time 

Who would take Naismith though? Bloke spends so much time out injured his main role should be co-comms 

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

LM presser ‘Naismith has had a set back’ 

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/video/interviews/manning-previews-blues-away/

Shame, and I don't think it gets mentioned unless it's a reasonably significant set back.

Unfortunately it doesn't come as a great surprise.

• Like 1

This is a game that on relative form, context etc. we should absolutely be looking to win.

How many times over the last 10 years have we threatened to gain momentum and then lost a game like this?

We need to go there and win. Come on City.

P.S. 17th last season was their highest finish in seven years? Blimey, and I thought we’d had a boring few years. 

• Like 4
6 minutes ago, Robin101 said:

P.S. 17th last season was their highest finish in seven years? Blimey, and I thought we’d had a boring few years. 

They've had interesting times off the pitch, their owners who now are outgoing seem to be absolute idiots at best.

It begun with sacking Rowett on the verge of playoffs for Zola in late 2016 and spiralled from there..

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Robin101 said:

This is a game that on relative form, context etc. we should absolutely be looking to win.

How many times over the last 10 years have we threatened to gain momentum and then lost a game like this?

We need to go there and win. Come on City.

Exactly this ! It will be just like city to lose this game tomorrow I have seen it time and time again let's just hope for a changing of the tide under Manning we need to go there and keep those energy levels up get in there faces win our 50/50s press them from the first minute and look to really get at there makeshift defence.

Edited by BCFC31
  • Like 1
3 minutes ago, onlyotib said:

Random question and I’m sure it’s been covered 500 times but can you listen to the match on a iPhone? Preferably radio Bristol ?

No, seems that “internet” broadcast is blocked.

Years ago I bought a little DAB receiver (Roberts) for iPhone (might’ve even been my iPod touch) so I could listen to DAB away from my car or Freeview tv.  Think it had the old 32 pin lightning connector.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Sheltons Army said:

It’s the Scots Nog

Made of egg shells

😁

Must be a modern Scots thing then Shelts. don't remember the likes of Gow, Gillies, Sweeney and Ritchie missing many games.

Or Joe Jordan for that matter, though he may have caused our opponents to miss a few.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
17 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Must be a modern Scots thing then Shelts. don't remember the likes of Gow, Gillies, Sweeney and Ritchie missing many games.

Or Joe Jordan for that matter, though he may have caused our opponents to miss a few.

Hardly call Scott Murray a sicknote either, Noggers.

Think McCrorie has just been unlucky with one injury but fast losing patience with Naismith.

• Like 3