IGNORED

Birmingham City away match thread

1 minute ago, mozo said:

This won't be the most popular of my all-time posts, but I thought the referee was decent. I like a ref that just waves most things away and keeps the game flowing and that's what he did. We got away with a few lunges too which I liked.

The one at the top, clearly!

Leicester and Ipswich have both lost 3 games - do you suppose they played well in those games?

Just now, downendcity said:

Taking a positive viewpoint.

If, before Christmas, someone had said that we'd come away from away games at a very in form Watford and fighting for their lives Birmingham, with a 4-1 win and a dull 0-0 we'd have taken that..

It's that the results were the "wrong" way around that makes it seem frustrating.

I understand that, but taking it a game at a time, that was a poor game from us.

No attempts on goal at all and just four attempts off target, including two soft headers from Mehmeti in the first half.

Shite game and grateful for the point given the performance.

2 minutes ago, cityexile said:

Teams have played a lot of football, and those at the bottom digging in for anything. Ipswich 0-0 at home to QPR, Rotherham a point v Sunderland and Sheff Wed a win at Preston.

Not great today against a side determ8ned at home to grind out some kind of result, just lacked a spot of quality 

Not sure Millwall, who have found a little form, will be any easier, but one game at a time I guess. Four unbeaten.

Literally how I saw it. We were sloppy tonight, and Birmingham were doing everything they could not to lose that game. I’d have taken a point before kickoff.

We are in a really strong place heading into the New Year and with the transfer window open, we are a decent prospect to join in terms of league position.

An exciting 2024 for us I think. 

• Like 1

For me tonight is about context.  10 points out of 12 available having come off 4 games without a win.

I said pre-game it would be interesting to see how Brum played our press and we played theirs.  Brum worked their nuts off to deny us first half, but they blocked up our left side second half and we didn’t quite have enough quality to create those key moments.

The league table (3 pts either side of us) is a good measure of where we are:

image.png.4ae28c042630dac178b338331a2e6036.png

Personally I wanted this set of games to the end of January to be about keeping us in the mix…and that’s been achieved at this point.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
14 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Taking a positive viewpoint.

If, before Christmas, someone had said that we'd come away from away games at a very in form Watford and fighting for their lives Birmingham, with a 4-1 win and a dull 0-0 we'd have taken that..

It's that the results were the "wrong" way around that makes it seem frustrating.

Agree and disagree, I always find that outlook frustrating as once you’ve played one game (Watford) that’s done and dusted and you can only treat each match on its merits.

Defensively and through the phases we were brilliant tonight, it was just that final ball that eluded us. That being said Mehmeti should have pocketed at least a goal in the first half and that ball by Knight for Weimann was good enough to win any football match. Bit of a scuff actually from Andi.

• Like 2
24 minutes ago, RedRoss said:

https://www.smallheathalliance.com/read.php?1,3500626,page=12

On their forum they are discussing how they set much more defensive tonight. Guessing Rooney just didn't want to lose that one.

That's a good catch @RedRoss. Of course that tactic will still see you relegated, but I guess it's better than leaving the barn door open. If we'd have sneaked a 1-0 win last Tuesday, Rooney might have left them more open, and we'd have another win! Oh well, on to Monday.

3 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

One failure to win and we’re back to Tanner being the fall guy.

But happy to explain.

We have four fit senior defenders. Tanner was signed as back-up to Simpson, who he outlasted. Last season he was intended to be back up to Wilson, who didn’t work out as a signing. This season he was intended to be back up to McCrorie who hasn’t been fit. Our other right back options are Sykes, TGH and Vyner, who are all needed elsewhere on the pitch. And none of whom look *that* comfortable at right back.

Tanner is a solidly consistent squad player who has perhaps been fortunate to play more games than he may have done if our other senior right back options had been fit and in-form but who - whilst unspectacular - seldom lets us down.

Realistically I think he is as good a back up right back as we are likely to afford and, even if we had the resources, I’d argue more options in attacking midfield, the centre of attack and in goal was the greater priority. 

It is a shame Kane Wilson did not have the impact we hoped and that Ross McCrorie has been injured but I don’t understand the scapegoating of a solidly dependable back up player, especially at a point when he is one of only four fit defenders at the club.

Bravo 🙌🏻 

And how did his opponent get on today, that bloke Dembele, who many swoon over.  Bar one run second half where him and Williams teamed up to stop him, “Sir Ricky” barely got a kick.

• Like 6
  • Flames 2
7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

For me tonight is about context.  10 points out of 12 available having come off 4 games without a win.

I said pre-game it would be interesting to see how Brum played our press and we played theirs.  Brum worked their nuts off to deny us first half, but they blocked up our left side second half and we didn’t quite have enough quality to create those key moments.

Personally I wanted this set of games to the end of January to be about keeping us in the mix…and that’s been achieved at this point.

It has, although that’s not quite the final table at the end of the night.

Was just looking at Middlesborough, not great form, then suddenly one win, up from 14th to be tucked just behind us. Just shows how tight it all is.

Edited by cityexile
  • Like 2
22 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

It was never going to be easy with them desperate for a result and us always struggling against them, but that was disappointing.  Just not up to recent levels and they worked really hard to close us down while keeping men back and not over committing. 

What made it worse , I watched it on a Firestick that only show the team we are playing's feed :facepalm:

Maybe 6s or 7s where recently it's been 7s or 8s and tonight we had no real penetration into the final 3rd. 
With Brum sitting a little , TGH & Williams coming deeper to get the ball we didn't find the pockets as well as we have done.  Still , a point on the road and if we can get 3 v Millwall I'll be more than happy with this run.
We do need to find a way to beat teams that aren't as ambitious as the likes of Sunderland etc.  Without being great I thought we were ok first half, probed and prodded , created a couple of chances and could have been a goal or up. 2nd half , until later when the game opened up a little, I though we were a bit pedestrian . Never caused enough problems and didn't switch play quickly or well enough. 
No shots on target tells a tale , but there we more signs of getting nearer the possession side that Manning wants. I said February to see how we have progressed under Manning and I think we may have games like this in the mean time. 

Agree with most of your post but if Mehmeti buries one of his 2 headed chances we win that game 1 or 2 nil.....

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Table is wrong.

Here is the updated one for you. 

IMG_8946.jpeg

14 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

Mehmeti should have scored that first header, and it would have been a completely different game.

Clearly Birminghams plan was stay in it as long as possible then try and do something near the end, never really troubled us too much.

If you can’t win it, don’t lose it. On to Monday then 4 unbeaten.

Very true and there's been times in the past where we've ended up with nothing after "going for it" - Norwich springs to mind.

Maybe I'm overreacting in saying that its two points dropped and venting a bit, but that was so disappointing against what turned out to be a pretty crap team. 

On to Millwall.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Would be interesting to have seen the reaction if we'd drawn 0-0 at Watford and won 4-1 tonight...... funny ol game eh.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

It's so tight. Ones to watch perhaps are Coventry.

No reason why not. Nine teams there from 6th to 14th, and frankly any of them with a bit of form, luck, consistency, could nab 6th.

Ipswich now just 3 clear. Done well in fairness, but don’t see them holding off Southampton.

10 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Bravo 🙌🏻 

And how did his opponent get on today, that bloke Dembele, who many swoon over.  Bar one run second half where him and Williams teamed up to stop him, “Sir Ricky” barely got a kick.

Exactly this, Tanner had a good game against a lively threat and I can’t recall him putting a foot wrong. He’s not Pring and you’re not going to get gallivanting runs up the right flank, but he will keep the ball moving. He’s not a bad understudy when Macoirie (definitely not spelt correctly) becomes the starter

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, CityCiderEd said:

Would be interesting to have seen the reaction if we'd drawn 0-0 at Watford and won 4-1 tonight...... funny ol game eh.

Watford game got everyone a bit hyped. It’s a decent result against a team we’ve only won 4 times against in the last 24 years. Win your home games and draw away and we will do just fine. 

COYRs. 

1 minute ago, CosmosUK said:

Agree and disagree, I always find that outlook frustrating as once you’ve played one game (Watford) that’s done and dusted and you can only treat each match on its merits.

Defensively and through the phases we were brilliant tonight, it was just that final ball that eluded us. That being said Mehmeti should have pocketed at least a goal in the first half and that ball by Knight for Weimann was good enough to win any football match. Bit of a scuff actually from Andi.

You're right of course. Having trounced Watford - both score wise and in performance terms - tonight was disappointing.  However, it is still 4 points from 2 away games and at the end of the season tonight's point could be the difference in getting into the top 6!

Recently under LM we seem to have found our scoring touch, but we definitely lost it again tonight. It felt like if Mehmeti had netted one of his chances, we'd have gone on to a comfortable win. As it was, and seems often to be the case, a team fighting for their lives and defending to give nothing away, give us little space in the final third. For a long time this has been an achilles heel, as there seems to be a mentality in the team which means players are almost frightened to take a risk - either taking a man on or playing a killer ball - that will open the defence and create a chance in this type of game. Scott could do it, but we are unlikely to see a £25m+ premier league player with that ability  in our team any time soon!

Perversely, it's easier against a better team like Watford, as they will tend to play more open and attacking, meaning they automatically leave more space in behind on the counter attack and which were able to exploit. Birmingham almost played more like the away team ( as we often did at AG under NP) keeping things tight to stifle our play.

It will be interesting to see how our playing style develops under LM and whether we are approaching this type of game differently later in the season.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Very true and there's been times in the past where we've ended up with nothing after "going for it" - Norwich springs to mind.

Maybe I'm overreacting in saying that its two points dropped and venting a bit, but that was so disappointing against what turned out to be a pretty crap team. 

On to Millwall.

I’m disappointed because after three wins you start to dream a little, but looking at with perspective in the scheme of a block of games there’s no way to be disappointed with 10 points from 12 out of those games. Some people had us down as relegation candidates four games ago!

Someone else said but swap that 0-0 with either of the 3 wins, particularly Watford and people would be far happier. Funny old game

• Like 2
54 minutes ago, Ghost Rider said:

I’m not fishing. You literally posted about how you thought Manning changed things because you thought he was giving the players too much information. He talks about that in the press conference. I thought you would find it interesting as YOU were talking about it. How is that fishing, I was being nice!!! 

I hope you have a rubbish New Year. 

Please dont quote or mention me again. 

• Haha 2
7 minutes ago, downendcity said:

You're right of course. Having trounced Watford - both score wise and in performance terms - tonight was disappointing.  However, it is still 4 points from 2 away games and at the end of the season tonight's point could be the difference in getting into the top 6!

Recently under LM we seem to have found our scoring touch, but we definitely lost it again tonight. It felt like if Mehmeti had netted one of his chances, we'd have gone on to a comfortable win. As it was, and seems often to be the case, a team fighting for their lives and defending to give nothing away, give us little space in the final third. For a long time this has been an achilles heel, as there seems to be a mentality in the team which means players are almost frightened to take a risk - either taking a man on or playing a killer ball - that will open the defence and create a chance in this type of game. Scott could do it, but we are unlikely to see a £25m+ premier league player with that ability  in our team any time soon!

Perversely, it's easier against a better team like Watford, as they will tend to play more open and attacking, meaning they automatically leave more space in behind on the counter attack and which were able to exploit. Birmingham almost played more like the away team ( as we often did at AG under NP) keeping things tight to stifle our play.

It will be interesting to see how our playing style develops under LM and whether we are approaching this type of game differently later in the season.

Completely. Watford tend to leave bigger gaps which were easier for us to exploit. Way easier to play between this lines than this evening. Birmingham did everything they could to not lose this game and came to play defensively. We do tend to struggle with a deeper block. 

17 minutes ago, CityCiderEd said:

Agree with most of your post but if Mehmeti buries one of his 2 headed chances we win that game 1 or 2 nil.....

Mehmeti was frustrating tonight , but tbf they played him well. That said you have to give him credit for being in that position to have the chances, seemed to get into that middle of the box area much more tonight.