IGNORED

Birmingham City away match thread

29 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

For me tonight is about context.  10 points out of 12 available having come off 4 games without a win.

I said pre-game it would be interesting to see how Brum played our press and we played theirs.  Brum worked their nuts off to deny us first half, but they blocked up our left side second half and we didn’t quite have enough quality to create those key moments.

The league table (3 pts either side of us) is a good measure of where we are:

image.png.4ae28c042630dac178b338331a2e6036.png

Personally I wanted this set of games to the end of January to be about keeping us in the mix…and that’s been achieved at this point.

That table will start to stretch out in the next month or so. We're doing well to be in the mix. Better than I expected this season.

Just now, 1960maaan said:

Mehmeti was frustrating tonight , but tbf they played him well. That said you have to give him credit for being in that position to have the chances, seemed to get into that middle of the box area much more tonight. 

I have to agree again......but if he buries one of those headers we win the game 1-0.....they offered absolutely nothing.

1 minute ago, CityCiderEd said:

I have to agree again......but if he buries one of those headers we win the game 1-0.....they offered absolutely nothing.

TBH if he scores either chance and I think we go on to win comfortably, as they would have had to come out at us.
He's had a poor day , but he's done well lately . I think he will always be like that, it comes with the territory .

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

My picks before the season started with the money they forked out to be top 6 so wouldn’t surprise me 

It’s remarkable how well they’re doing given the turnover. 

Saw on Twitter earlier, Their starting 11 on Boxing Day had 0 players that started the play off final in May. 

10 points from the last four games is a very pleasing return - if I’m honest, would have taken a point before tonight’s game, based on the Watford result (unlikely to be able to repeat that result) and our record against Brum (4 wins in last 25 meetings!)…..

If, and it is an if, we could win on Monday, we will be set-up nicely, going into the New Year.

33 minutes ago, bexhill reds said:

Exactly this, Tanner had a good game against a lively threat and I can’t recall him putting a foot wrong. He’s not Pring and you’re not going to get gallivanting runs up the right flank, but he will keep the ball moving. He’s not a bad understudy when Macoirie (definitely not spelt correctly) becomes the starter

Still feel McCorie, who gives one about spelling, will be better used as defensive midfielder.

56 minutes ago, Rocking Red Cyril said:

Still feel McCorie, who gives one about spelling, will be better used as defensive midfielder.

McCrorie on Robins TV said he was signed to play as a right back & that’s his best position.

Said he “could” play centre back, but clearly sees himself as a defender & predominantly a RB.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Overall, i was disappointed we allowed the game to go scrappy in the second half, and that we didn’t find a way of getting Pring back into it second half after the space he found first half.  I was glad Brum were wasteful with some counterattacking opportunities late on also.

I thought we were relatively decent first half, created good situations, if not the final ball…we were knocking on the door.  But second half was a bit fragmented.

Dickie another good game, Vyner solid, Tanner kept Dembele very quiet, and Pring (as above).  I guess the fact I’m talking about defenders in a game where our defence wasn’t hugely tested probably tells a story. Knight and Sykes combined well in short periods.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, steviestevieneville said:

It’s true though. People are pissed off because we didn’t win tonight. Absolute bollocks. We win a few games & some are acting like we got a Devine right to win games . Idiots . 
as for the season of good will 😂😂😂😂

I’m always pissed off if we don’t win to be fair. 

But the upside is some are pissed off because we didn’t win, rightly or wrongly, because the team and the supporters are getting a winning mentality! That does help. 

Nevertheless wankey opinions are a fundamental part of OTIB. 

HNY! 😆 

8 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

I’m always pissed off if we don’t win to be fair. 

But the upside is some are pissed off because we didn’t win, rightly or wrongly, because the team and the supporters are getting a winning mentality! That does help. 

Nevertheless wankey opinions are a fundamental part of OTIB. 

HNY! 😆 

Thats it. 

I think it is reasonable to be satsified with 10 points but then also be disapointed that it's not 12, especially after viewing a game which was there for the taking. 

Personally I'd like to see us win every game we play. When I go to a game I don't think "well we won our last game so I'll settle for a draw today" I'd be shocked if any players felt that way either. 

Unfortunately at the moment we are not allowed to be negative about anything. We must be happy clappers. 

I'm pissed off every time we don't win, we all should be. We are too nice as a fan base. We have a large element of our fanbase, people like Tony Wilkins, who settle for mediocrity and for me that's partly why we are not a premier league club. 

Edited by W-S-M Seagull
  • Facepalm 1
11 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Thats it. 

I think it is reasonable to be satsified with 10 points but then also be disapointed that it's not 12, especially after viewing a game which was there for the taking. 

Personally I'd like to see us win every game we play. When I go to a game I don't think "well we won our last game so I'll settle for a draw today" I'd be shocked if any players felt that way either. 

Unfortunately at the moment we are not allowed to be negative about anything. We must be happy clappers. 

I'm pissed off every time we don't win, we all should be. We are too nice as a fan base. We have a large element of our fanbase, people like Tony Wilkins, who settle for mediocrity and for me that's partly why we are not a premier league club. 

I Have no clue who Tony Wilkins is, but I’m sure as you mentioned his name he almost certainly gets interviewed on Radio Drivel.

So many people trying to sound like they know what they are talking about, particularly since Twentyman went, he always encouraged some passion. This guy is just awful! 

Im pretty sure personally I could not give a flying **** what other people think I’m allowed to be or not!! 

However a winning mentality has been a problem as a club and a City for years on and off. But yes we should be happy with 10/12 and expect 13/15 because JL told us we are entitled to expect it and because our low expectations have been an issue for 45 years. We are looking like a team that might have a little nibble at top six and what we know is Manning is not bouncing until he effing achieves something  

Just a thought.

COYRs

• Facepalm 1
7 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

I Have no clue who Tony Wilkins is, but I’m sure as you mentioned his name he almost certainly gets interviewed on Radio Drivel.

So many people trying to sound like they know what they are talking about, particularly since Twentyman went, he always encouraged some passion. This guy is just awful! 

Im pretty sure personally I could not give a flying **** what other people think I’m allowed to be or not!! 

However a winning mentality has been a problem as a club and a City for years on and off. But yes we should be happy with 10/12 and expect 13/15 because JL told us we are entitled to expect it and because our low expectations have been an issue for 45 years. We are looking like a team that might have a little nibble at top six and what we know is Manning is not bouncing until he effing achieves something  

Just a thought.

COYRs

Tony Wilkins is someone who would be happy to see us lose narrowly away at Chesterfield on a Tuesday night, because he got to see the spiral tower. He is indeed a regular caller to RB. 

I can feel the passion in your post. I like it. 

5 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

One failure to win and we’re back to Tanner being the fall guy.

But happy to explain.

We have four fit senior defenders. Tanner was signed as back-up to Simpson, who he outlasted. Last season he was intended to be back up to Wilson, who didn’t work out as a signing. This season he was intended to be back up to McCrorie who hasn’t been fit. Our other right back options are Sykes, TGH and Vyner, who are all needed elsewhere on the pitch. And none of whom look *that* comfortable at right back.

Tanner is a solidly consistent squad player who has perhaps been fortunate to play more games than he may have done if our other senior right back options had been fit and in-form but who - whilst unspectacular - seldom lets us down.

Realistically I think he is as good a back up right back as we are likely to afford and, even if we had the resources, I’d argue more options in attacking midfield, the centre of attack and in goal was the greater priority. 

It is a shame Kane Wilson did not have the impact we hoped and that Ross McCrorie has been injured but I don’t understand the scapegoating of a solidly dependable back up player, especially at a point when he is one of only four fit defenders at the club.

I’m not making tanner the fall guy so please don’t insinuate that.

In my opinion he is the most negative player in the team,Sykes,vyner and dickie all make either forward penetrating passing or will try and run the ball out.Not constantly slow the play down and pass 90% of passes backwards like tanner.Im not saying he is shite,I’m saying for me he doesn’t fit with how we are looking on playing as a team,you have your opinion and I have mine.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

One failure to win and we’re back to Tanner being the fall guy.

But happy to explain.

We have four fit senior defenders. Tanner was signed as back-up to Simpson, who he outlasted. Last season he was intended to be back up to Wilson, who didn’t work out as a signing. This season he was intended to be back up to McCrorie who hasn’t been fit. Our other right back options are Sykes, TGH and Vyner, who are all needed elsewhere on the pitch. And none of whom look *that* comfortable at right back.

Tanner is a solidly consistent squad player who has perhaps been fortunate to play more games than he may have done if our other senior right back options had been fit and in-form but who - whilst unspectacular - seldom lets us down.

Realistically I think he is as good a back up right back as we are likely to afford and, even if we had the resources, I’d argue more options in attacking midfield, the centre of attack and in goal was the greater priority. 

It is a shame Kane Wilson did not have the impact we hoped and that Ross McCrorie has been injured but I don’t understand the scapegoating of a solidly dependable back up player, especially at a point when he is one of only four fit defenders at the club.

I think he was signed as a player to develop for the future rather than as back up. 

Whilst he has performed that role I think it's a little dismissive to suggest he was signed as back up. 

He was signed with the intention of being our no 1 rb in the future. 

I have no problems with George. I think he's a decent player. He's probably been a victim of not really having much competition. Hopefully with McCrorie soon to be available, that will help to elevate George's game further. 

With George being a dependable rb, it does give us the option of playing McCrorie in other positions if we desire/require. 

Rb has been a problem position for us for a while so I'm glad that either McCrorie soon to be available. We have that position well covered with good players. 

22 minutes ago, Woofyourkipper said:

I’m not making tanner the fall guy so please don’t insinuate that.

In my opinion he is the most negative player in the team,Sykes,vyner and dickie all make either forward penetrating passing or will try and run the ball out.Not constantly slow the play down and pass 90% of passes backwards like tanner.Im not saying he is shite,I’m saying for me he doesn’t fit with how we are looking on playing as a team,you have your opinion and I have mine.

You think that because you have an inability to understand the type of player that Tanner is. 

He is not a Pring, Kyle Walker, Roberto Carlos etc type of full back. He is a Gary Neville type of full back and that is his role in the team. 

He fits with exactly how we are looking to play. Unless you're Spurs, you don't really want both of your full backs getting forward at the same time. You kinda wanna keep 3 back and Tanner fits that perfectly as because he's defensively minded he's able to play in that rcb role. 

• Like 3
  • Facepalm 2
2 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

You think that because you have an inability to understand the type of player that Tanner is. 

He is not a Pring, Kyle Walker, Roberto Carlos etc type of full back. He is a Gary Neville type of full back and that is his role in the team. 

He fits with exactly how we are looking to play. Unless you're Spurs, you don't really want both of your full backs getting forward at the same time. You kinda wanna keep 3 back and Tanner fits that perfectly as because he's defensively minded he's able to play in that rcb role. 

George Tanner will not keep a fit Ross McCrorie, who actually stated half way through the second half of tonight’s game that his preferred position is RB, out of the team.. 

Despite his sound defensive qualities I think it is much more likely that GT is under instruction to play the easy pass across to Zac rather than risk playing more adventurously on the front foot as there are known offensive limitations.

BTW, Gary Neville used to, and still does, pride himself on the way that he used to feed David Beckham not keep playing it square to Steve Bruce or whoever.

• Like 1

Whilst I agree it’s a shame Mehmeti could finish one of those chances (although I don’t think anyone was expecting Nakki to ‘pass’ to him in that position for first chance), one point I’d like to make is the improvement of attacking intent from Pring these past few games where he is building up a good partnership with Mehmeti, who comes inside a fair bit to give Pring the space, and is able to hold the ball up allowing Pring to run past him. 

For a while now we’ve relied too much on Sykes for crosses and the ability to take players on in wide positions so I’m glad we’re not too predictable as a team

• Like 3

Interesting reading this thread and specially the bits about Tanner & McCrorie. 
Tanner was signed as a FB, he is defensive minded and he doesn't seem a natural going forward, at least not as natural as Pring who has played a lot as wingback and it shows IMO . 
The thing is McCrorie is unknown at this level and has been out a long time . We all hope he is the big, strong, hard running FB who bombs on and does a Pring on the right, but we haven't seen him yet.  Talk of him playing MF is off IMO, simply down to numbers , if we sign another FB in January then fine but right now we have Tanner and that's it. 
With luck we get what we hope he is, and he's fit soon , but even if he is I think there will be a lot of rotation with the two of them to make sure McCrorie doesn't break down with a new problem.