IGNORED

City v Arsenal Jan 1977

spudski

Exciting times for a young lad. Annoyingly, no one explained that the next four years would be as good as it would ever get supporting City, nor that we'd spend the following forty-odd years forlornly wondering if we'd ever get back up there again. 

I was stood on my little wooden stool in the Enclosure, just near the East End fence, perfectly placed to see Cormack's second half goal. Not to mention also, an ideal vantage point to watch a hundred or so Arsenal charge into the East End just before the game, only for the City mob to steam in and give them a kicking.

A good time to be an eleven year old, especially from the safety of the Enclosure 😁

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

As someone who spent the Division 1 days stood in the open section just as you got in the East End - but wasn't part of the City mob - I remember numerous incursions into the EE by away fans.

All the London teams in particular it was expected and eagerly anticipated with a great mob of City fans assembled at least an hour before the game.

Spurs I remember sauntered in at about 2.15 as if they owned the place, smiles all over their faces arrogantly looking over towards the middle of the EE, until the mob they were apparently looking for descended on them unexpectedly, all hell broke loose, and they were booted out, literally, within a couple of minutes, and far from smiling.

As you say as a young non participant it all added to the day's excitement and entertainment.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

As someone who spent the Division 1 days stood in the open section just as you got in the East End - but wasn't part of the City mob - I remember numerous incursions into the EE by away fans.

All the London teams in particular it was expected and eagerly anticipated with a great mob of City fans assembled at least an hour before the game.

Spurs I remember sauntered in at about 2.15 as if they owned the place, smiles all over their faces arrogantly looking over towards the middle of the EE, until the mob they were apparently looking for descended on them unexpectedly, all hell broke loose, and they were booted out, literally, within a couple of minutes, and far from smiling.

As you say as a young non participant it all added to the day's excitement and entertainment.

I think  it’s Nick Hornby’s  book “fever pitch” that covers the episode when Arsenal came into the East end, and got smashed. 

1 hour ago, Portland Bill said:

I think  it’s Nick Hornby’s  book “fever pitch” that covers the episode when Arsenal came into the East end, and got smashed. 

I believe the chapter heading in the book was "GO WEST YOUNG MAN" and they did much to their regret.

It was poetry in motion at home games to see the lookout peering over the wall to then inform our boys that the enemy were on their way up the gangway and into an unexpected ambush.

5 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Great memories in the 70s at Ashton Gate. My spot was the old enclosure next to the tunnel.

4 hours ago, City oz said:

Great memories in the 70s at Ashton Gate. My spot was the old enclosure next to the tunnel.

My spot was right behind the dug-outs, stood on an old orange (the fruit) crate while my Dad stood a few terrace-steps back with all his old cronies (well, in their thirties and forties they were all 'old' to me!).

I remember the strong smell of tobacco in the air, probably originating mostly from the many pipe-smokers all around the place.... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sir Leigh of Somerset said:

My spot was right behind the dug-outs, stood on an old orange (the fruit) crate while my Dad stood a few terrace-steps back with all his old cronies (well, in their thirties and forties they were all 'old' to me!).

I remember the strong smell of tobacco in the air, probably originating mostly from the many pipe-smokers all around the place.... 

I remember when it rained hard you could get to the back of the enclosure in front of the wall of the grand stand above and depending on the direction of the rain you could keep dry. Later years I often sat in the old grandstand in the block next to the east end. The atmosphere at Ashton Gate then was so great I will never ever forget it

• Like 3
  • Robin 1

10 hours ago, Portland Bill said:

It also states how he was so disappointed and disillusioned after the first game of the season. Big Mac's first game. a new Manager and home to a newly promoted team. What could go wrong? 😄

4 hours ago, Bedred31 said:

I was in the ‘schoolboy’s enclosure’! 50p a match or £10 for a season ticket.

And a pink cardboard ticket that got clipped around the edge at every game so that by the end of the season you had this frayed bit of mashed pink that if you were lucky was just about still legible but about 25% smaller than when you originally got it!

• Robin 2

On 29/12/2023 at 09:36, Bedred31 said:

I was in the ‘schoolboy’s enclosure’! 50p a match or £10 for a season ticket.

Remember it as 40p? Incredible really.

On 29/12/2023 at 14:33, Dr Balls said:

And a pink cardboard ticket that got clipped around the edge at every game so that by the end of the season you had this frayed bit of mashed pink that if you were lucky was just about still legible but about 25% smaller than when you originally got it!

Yep, by the end of the season they were really dog eared.

Was up in the top corner of the East End with me Dad and nextdoor neighbour in those days, and remember the atmosphere as unreal all round the ground.

I remember the smell of stale booze, fags and piss from the uncovered bogs in the East End. Also remember a white number 6 on one of the red East End pillars, the same as the back of Norman Hunter's shirt. 

Unforgettable days...

• Robin 1