IGNORED

619 Millwall followers heading to Gate

Really small club at our level, in the bottom five for home attendances & one of those (Argyle) are only below them because their ground is smaller, every game at Home Park has sold out.

When you consider the number of away fans for London games it shows how tiny they are.

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Tony Tootle said:

£35 quid as well for a ticket in the away end which given the time of year seems a little bit strong

Agreed . Really disappointing turn out on NY Day for them . Awful , but really not helped by the cost of the ticket . 

2 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

What are the trains like today?

Absolutely fine. Every half hour. On one now and seen about 20 Millwall fans in total. Small groups of either old timers or teenagers. I guess those old enough and young enough to still party hard didn't want to curtail NYE with an early start.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Fat Cigar said:

They never seem to travel in big numbers. 

Depends how you look at it. Compared to big, regional clubs like Leeds United, Sheffield Wednesday and Norwich City, no we don’t.

But as a ratio of home support, our numbers are pretty decent in fact. They usually range between 8-12% of the home support (ie average home average minus away followings). That would be like Hull City averaging around 2,500 on the road, which they don’t. 

Also, you need to remember that many ‘normal’ Millwall fans will not travel to certain places, certainly not with family members. If you look at our away followings closely, you will see that we have less women and children than any other club as a percentage of the following. This is because no matter where we go, every local nutter will come out of the woodwork to prove themselves. This means our away followings tend to be 18-50 year old male heavy and this creates a self fulfilling prophecy sometimes, as they will encounter said local nutters.

Furthermore, Millwall’s away games have all been members only and all-ticket since the Play-Off riot in 2002. This stops people just deciding the night before or that morning. In fact my sister now lives in Bristol and messaged to say about going today, but she’d have to go in the home end with her Welsh husband.

However, the low number is just as much down to it being New Year’s Day and at a ground we’ve been to plenty of times to, but proving to be a bugger to get to in current times. Plus, with Christmas bills about to come in to, £100+ to watch us at Bristol City & miss a day with family is one for the die hards. We have c8,000 season ticket holders, so 619 (plus my sister in home end) represents 7.7% of STHs. I am estimating (your website says you have 14,000 STHs) that would be like Bristol City taking 1,078 to The Den today direct from Bristol, ie not including London/southern based fans. Now, considering Bristol City brought 1,686 on the opening day in lovely August sunshine with optimism high, including London/SE based fans and are currently averaging around that too, 1,078 of you coming to The Den today would be below average, but still pretty decent. 

Getting back to the first point, Millwall are currently averaging a higher ratio of home fans on the road than Bristol City, despite all the barriers to our away support I have highlighted (as well as terrible season so far). So again, it depends how you look at these things… are Millwall are well supported club? No. But the fact that 12-15,000 people still bother to come support us despite us being crap for all but two seasons of our history, whilst playing a tube ride away from Arsenal, Chelsea and West Ham, and a bus ride from Charlton and Palace, and a decent percentage of those put up with all sorts of crap from other fans and police forces, perhaps suggests we are at least a passionate bunch! 

27 minutes ago, Olé said:

Absolutely fine. Every half hour. On one now and seen about 20 Millwall fans in total. Small groups of either old timers or teenagers. I guess those old enough and young enough to still party hard didn't want to curtail NYE with an early start.

You not seen… already cancellations!! 

• Like 7

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Really small club at our level, in the bottom five for home attendances & one of those (Argyle) are only below them because their ground is smaller, every game at Home Park has sold out.

When you consider the number of away fans for London games it shows how tiny they are.

To be fair, all but two home games at The Den have sold out for home fans this season. We can only hold 15,500 home fans due to poor design of The Den. If clubs travelled to us in the numbers they do to other London clubs we’d be averaging 19,000 odd (or whatever the Met now let us); 20,000 if we were allowed all seats to be used, which we aren’t. 

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Piccolo said:

To be fair, all but two home games at The Den have sold out for home fans this season. We can only hold 15,500 home fans due to poor design of The Den. If clubs travelled to us in the numbers they do to other London clubs we’d be averaging 19,000 odd (or whatever the Met now let us); 20,000 if we were allowed all seats to be used, which we aren’t. 

Fair enough, wasn’t aware of the capacity restriction.

Is that a long term thing? Wikipedia says it can hold around 18100 in total as a result of this.

Edited by GrahamC

Just now, GrahamC said:

Fair enough, wasn’t aware of the capacity restriction.

Is that a long term thing? Wikipedia says it can hold around 18100 as a result of this.

It goes up and down, depending on who we are playing. I have been at 16,500 ‘sell-outs’ v West Ham. 

It was interesting to compare away followings that went to Millwall and Charlton when in same division. The two are 4 miles apart, with The Den actually easier to get to, but the same club took double the fans to the Valley nearly in every example. 

2 minutes ago, Offside said:

That’s a horrific price to charge fans. 

Yep. As said, over £100 for an adult to simply come by train (if lucky) and watch us today. That’s without eating or drinking anything. I love Bristol, great city, my sister lives there too, but I’ll be saving the money thanks!

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, Piccolo said:

If you look at our away followings closely, you will see that we have less women and children than any other club as a percentage of the following.

Seen both women and children going to watch Millwall on my train. Also not sure about cancelllations mate, can see half hourly trains running all morning! 

I don’t blame so many of your fans for staying away at £35 a ticket Piccolo. That’s a shocking price and I wouldn’t pay it going the other way out of principle. Disappointed at City for charging that much.

Was showing some of your fans back to Temple Meads station last season. Could tell they were on edge. Must be a right ballache walking round with a target on your back at every away match you go to. 

4 minutes ago, Olé said:

Seen both women and children going to watch Millwall on my train. Also not sure about cancelllations mate, can see half hourly trains running all morning! 

Yeah, I didn’t say no women and children watch us away, just that it will be a lower % than any other club due to the crap we have to put up with from locals and local police forces. 

Also my cousin sent me this… so who knows… not sure why he’d lie?! 

3A55549F-98E5-4B36-9383-1ECD7D480DB3.jpeg