IGNORED

Joe Williams

GrahamC

Did not expect to think at the halfway point of the season that he would be first pick in midfield but now looks that way.

TGH was really poor when he came on today & James was 6/10 but Joe, who was good at Birmingham & apparently outstanding at Watford, certainly edged him.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Hmmm 1

He was part of the problem. We are so predictable and slow with him alongside James. Neither offer any creativity. Agree with TGH but at least he tries to make things happen.

• Hmmm 3
  • Facepalm 1

19 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

TGH was really poor when he came on today & James was 6/10 but Joe, who was good at Birmingham & apparently outstanding at Watford, certainly edged him.

Thought TGH was poor at Brum as well, maybe LM comments that we do not need to rush to sort out a contract have had a negative effect, or maybe just performance has dropped 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

Thought TGH was poor at Brum as well, maybe LM comments that we do not need to rush to sort out a contract have had a negative effect, or maybe just performance has dropped 

Off it against brum for sure, lot of football has been played and we play our best when he’s on it. Sadly the alternatives are a little too functional in comparison and offer us nothing going forward. Centre mid a must in January but unlikely given competition and general January window issues. Hopefully a less hectic schedule has him refreshed and involved most games 

All our midfielders had a poor game, millwall just did what millwall do against us season after season. I thought they condensed the middle of the pitch sat in a low block dragged us into an ugly scrappy game and because of there physical and hight advantage and workman like attitude also won all the 50/50s they were also hitting us on the counter to good effect with there willing runners. we then played straight into there hands by passing the ball backwards and sideways constantly allowing millwall to regroup and get bodies behind the ball we didn't have any solutions atall for it,  even when we went wide to try and play around them Mehmeti just lost the ball or we turn backwards and played the ball back weimann outwide was completely anonymous we have absolutely no craft what so ever no composure on the ball in that final third of the pitch this conway uptop on his own is becoming so painful to watch aswell you cant expect to hit the ball long and conway to do anything with it as it will just come right back at you. we seriously need a big physical striker who can make the ball stick up there and an attacking midfielder who can play the passes into space and pick out those little pockets of space the opposition leave when coming at us with there press or help recycle the ball further up the field. 

Edited by BCFC31
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, BCFC31 said:

All our midfielders had a poor game, millwall just did what millwall do against us season after season. I thought they condensed the middle of the pitch sat in a low block dragged us into an ugly scrappy game and because of there physical and hight advantage and workman like attitude also won all the 50/50s they were also hitting us on the counter to good effect with there willing runners. we then played straight into there hands by passing the ball backwards and sideways constantly allowing millwall to regroup and get bodies behind the ball we didn't have any solutions atall for it,  even when we went wide to try and play around them Mehmeti just lost the ball or we turn backwards and played the ball back we have absolutely no craft what so ever no composure on the ball in that final third of the pitch this conway uptop on his own is becoming so painful to watch aswell you cant expect to hit the ball long and conway to do anything with it as it will just come right back at you. we seriously need a big physical striker who can make the ball stick up there and an attacking midfielder who can play the passes into space and pick out those little pockets of space the opposition leave when coming at us with there press or help recycle the ball further up the field. 

Tommy needs to ply in a 'two' if he's to play, preferably with Wells, until an alternative is available.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, RedEyez said:

Must’ve missed this. What happened?

Ball was running out of play in the last minute and William unnecessarily pushed the Millwall player into the advertising board, a bit of argy bargy happened, throat grabbing. Just pure frustration from Williams I think

12 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

Tommy needs to ply in a 'two' if he's to play, preferably with Wells, until an alternative is available.

Manning seems pretty stubborn when it comes to the lone striker formation 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, HoldenBall said:

Ball was running out of play in the last minute and William unnecessarily pushed the Millwall player into the advertising board, a bit of argy bargy happened, throat grabbing. Just pure frustration from Williams I think

He basically wasted any time we had left in the game to get an equaliser.  Idiotic.

• Like 2

Just now, The Bard said:

Things went south today when James and Weimann went off.  We were being bullied and took 2 players off who know how to cope in those situations.  They looked like winning all 2nd half. 

Agree with this, thought we looked a lot worse on the ball when James came off. Weimann doesn’t suit wide right but thought he played pretty well on the whole, would’ve brought off Mehmeti before him

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

1 minute ago, The Bard said:

Things went south today when James and Weimann went off.  We were being bullied and took 2 players off who know how to cope in those situations.  They looked like winning all 2nd half. 

Weimann had probably the worst game I've seen him play for City. 

In my opinion obviously 

• Hmmm 1

10 minutes ago, johnheadbcfc said:

I wouldn't rush to sign tgh in my opinion, he's played well in games and then dissapeared in others. Joe Williams must be playing for a contract as he's never played this well for this amount if time (which annoys me).

You could argue he’s not been confident of his fitness for much of the time he has been here. Also it could be that he feels more comfortable with Manning’s tactical approach or more trusted by the manager.

There are all sort of reasons why he MIGHT be playing better. One of those COULD be that he is playing for a contract but to say it MUST be that is a long way wide of the mark and discounts a number of equally as plausible explanations.

• Like 2

Weimanns legs have completely gone imo since his injuries and with age also playing a factor his main assets were his pressing and running certainly if he is played in midfield but he looks a totally different player I'd be amazing if he was kept on in the summer 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, johnheadbcfc said:

I wouldn't rush to sign tgh in my opinion, he's played well in games and then dissapeared in others. Joe Williams must be playing for a contract as he's never played this well for this amount if time (which annoys me).

It's almost like TGH is a young player and has only half a season. I'm glad we're not those type of fans that write players off fast 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, johnheadbcfc said:

Weimann had probably the worst game I've seen him play for City. 

In my opinion obviously 

Sorry that's nonsense.  I've seen him play far, far worse.  I liked the fact he was trying to get into goalscoring positions today.  Was amazed when Mehmeti was left on and he was hooked. Would've liked to have seen him on the left.

• Like 6

Glad Joe has stepped up and been performing well. I still think he has overall not performed to the level expected of him since he signed and would not really mind if he left in the summer.

He also has every right to be aggrieved by how his injuries and recovery were completely screwed by Holden and Rolls in particular. Took a lot of time out of his career; he was not known to have long periods out with injuries before he came to us.

I'd love for him to be replaced by a more dynamic and creative midfielder although that has been a need in the team for many many years and they don't exactly grow on trees.

6 minutes ago, miketh2nd said:

It's almost like TGH is a young player and has only half a season. I'm glad we're not those type of fans that write players off fast 

I'm not writing him off, simply saying we should see howbthe season goes as the fee may not reflect the player in 5 months time.

The same as we shouldn't rush to sign him after 3 good games !

I thought Joe has been showing some really energy and commitment since returning.  

Thought the overall performance was very average, very predictable and held little interest. The one who played really well was Cam Pring and has been doing, certainly, in the last few matches. Worked for every ball with some great defending.

TGH not his usual self at all, Tanner seems stuck with the reverse pass and doesn’t look happy in that position. I think being up front as a lone striker is not a good match for Tommy, too much of a responsibility, his confidence seems low and the one real chance he had, he blew it. He’s lost a lot of his bravado( for want of a better word). Pair him up with Wells where he had previously played very well.

It just all feels over managed, there’s little consistency from one game to the next and little individual prowess or spontaneity. 

Edited by JP Hampton
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, The Bard said:

Sorry that's nonsense.  I've seen him play far, far worse.  I liked the fact he was trying to get into goalscoring positions today.  Was amazed when Mehmeti was left on and he was hooked. Would've liked to have seen him on the left.

Shocked Weimann made it to the second half, was like a 6 year old kid following the ball across the pitch. When you’ve got 3 in the middle the last thing you need is a supposed wide player standing in the middle of the pitch. Gave us zero output on the right hand side especially as we have Tanner on the right because he won’t progress into the space. For an experienced pro I’m really disappointed and annoyed by his lack of football intelligence. Genuinely don’t think we will lose much if he goes soon.

• Like 1