IGNORED

Joe Williams

GrahamC

11 minutes ago, WoodsDTES said:

Shocked Weimann made it to the second half, was like a 6 year old kid following the ball across the pitch. When you’ve got 3 in the middle the last thing you need is a supposed wide player standing in the middle of the pitch. Gave us zero output on the right hand side especially as we have Tanner on the right because he won’t progress into the space. For an experienced pro I’m really disappointed and annoyed by his lack of football intelligence. Genuinely don’t think we will lose much if he goes soon.

Bearing in mind Mehmeti (who in previous games was drifting in) stayed wide left today, don’t you think it was tactical?

Mehmeti, part covering Pring against the progressive Norton-Cuffy.

Tanner can handle the less dynamic Murray Wallace.

So instead of being lopsided towards the right, today we set up to be lopsided to the left.

I don’t think Weimann or Tanner were THE problem individually today.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

14 minutes ago, WoodsDTES said:

Shocked Weimann made it to the second half, was like a 6 year old kid following the ball across the pitch. When you’ve got 3 in the middle the last thing you need is a supposed wide player standing in the middle of the pitch. Gave us zero output on the right hand side especially as we have Tanner on the right because he won’t progress into the space. For an experienced pro I’m really disappointed and annoyed by his lack of football intelligence. Genuinely don’t think we will lose much if he goes soon.

The fact he did come back out and continued doing the same thing, if not more so - doesn't that tell you it was more likely by instruction rather than him going rogue, getting a bollocking at half time, then going rogue again?

When we build in general Tanner drops back a bit to make more of a 3 with Dickie and Vyner, and then Pring pushes up so we're a bit lopsided. That was happening again today with then Weimann drifting infield. I actually thought he was fine today, and he was about the only one making runs along the front line in the first half.

I'd have brought Sykes on for Conway and moved Weimann central for 15m in the second half, before then replacing him with Wells. I'm sure I'm in a huge minority with that though!

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Bearing in mind Mehmeti (who in previous games was drifting in) stayed wide left today, don’t you think it was tactical?

So instead of being lopsided towards the right, today we set up to be lopsided to the left.

It seemed a very odd tactic. It meant Tanner rarely had a pass forward available , unless Knight ran over.  
Where on the other side Pring , who was looking to bomb on had no space to run into.
It seemed the complete opposite to what we should have done. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, johnheadbcfc said:

Weimann had probably the worst game I've seen him play for City. 

In my opinion obviously 

He was trampled on very early in the game wasn't he, kidneys or lower back area. They constantly fouled him too. I doubt the substitution was purely for tactical reasons

58 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

The fact he did come back out and continued doing the same thing, if not more so - doesn't that tell you it was more likely by instruction rather than him going rogue, getting a bollocking at half time, then going rogue again?

When we build in general Tanner drops back a bit to make more of a 3 with Dickie and Vyner, and then Pring pushes up so we're a bit lopsided. That was happening again today with then Weimann drifting infield. I actually thought he was fine today, and he was about the only one making runs along the front line in the first half.

I'd have brought Sykes on for Conway and moved Weimann central for 15m in the second half, before then replacing him with Wells. I'm sure I'm in a huge minority with that though!

Was subbed after 9 minutes of the second half for Sykes who stayed wide and then Bell who also stayed wide when Sykes went off might point towards Weimann being in his own little bubble. Agree he should be played centrally but think maybe he’s trying too hard with the captaincy or he’s just not playing the role he’s told to.🤷‍♂️

34 minutes ago, RedM said:

He was trampled on very early in the game wasn't he, kidneys or lower back area. They constantly fouled him too. I doubt the substitution was purely for tactical reasons

The Ref let them get away with a lot of niggly and clumsy challenges . He even managed to play advantage when we didn't even have the ball after a push on Sykes.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, WoodsDTES said:

Was subbed after 9 minutes of the second half for Sykes who stayed wide and then Bell who also stayed wide when Sykes went off might point towards Weimann being in his own little bubble. Agree he should be played centrally but think maybe he’s trying too hard with the captaincy or he’s just not playing the role he’s told to.🤷‍♂️

We switched back to lopsided on the other side when Sykes and Bell came on. Mehmeti came in field 10-15 yards, so Weimann was playing to instruction in the first half, tucking in and Mehmeti staying wide on the left.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Did not expect to think at the halfway point of the season that he would be first pick in midfield but now looks that way.

TGH was really poor when he came on today & James was 6/10 but Joe, who was good at Birmingham & apparently outstanding at Watford, certainly edged him.

Williams is not the answer if the question is who should start in a Manning system. His passing simply isnt good enough, escecially in scope of his injury record with us.

We needed a new midfield in the summer with the Scott money - we only got TGH who simply is not consistent at this level, and in NPs own words Knight wasn't a Scott replacement. At the very least, by the coming summer, we need three new midfielders (across Jan and Summer coming windows) to complement Knight with a view to the longer term; with King, James, and Williams deals all expiring in 7 months time and Benarous as of yet unlikely to come back from his innjury issues, assuming McCrorie will come in and displace Tanner at right-back.

Add Weimann also being out of contract come the summer.

With a view to that a couple of loans for players going into the final years of their contracts next season would make financial sense if we can agree optional fees.

Ironically two of our midfield targets (Adam Murphy [St Pats], and Callum Styles [Barnsley]) I'd possible enquire for, adding a loan. See if we can't shift Kingy early as I don't see a future for him under Manning.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Agree for the most part - for Andi however, he needs to stop going inside all the time. A number of times he left Conway to run the channel, and didnt contribute much if anything in the pocket. He hid at time today which did him no favours and is unlike him.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JP Hampton said:

I thought Joe has been showing some really energy and commitment since returning.  

Thought the overall performance was very average, very predictable and held little interest. The one who played really well was Cam Pring and has been doing, certainly, in the last few matches. Worked for every ball with some great defending.

TGH not his usual self at all, Tanner seems stuck with the reverse pass and doesn’t look happy in that position. I think being up front as a lone striker is not a good match for Tommy, too much of a responsibility, his confidence seems low and the one real chance he had, he blew it. He’s lost a lot of his bravado( for want of a better word). Pair him up with Wells where he had previously played very well.

It just all feels over managed, there’s little consistency from one game to the next and little individual prowess or spontaneity. 

I can see Tommy wanting to leave this summer if the new head coach, what's his name? continues to play him on his own without any decent passes to use and expecting him to score from the pathetic service he's receiving.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Fuber said:

Williams is not the answer if the question is who should start in a Manning system. His passing simply isnt good enough, escecially in scope of his injury record with us.

We needed a new midfield in the summer with the Scott money - we only got TGH who simply is not consistent at this level, and in NPs own words Knight wasn't a Scott replacement. At the very least, by the coming summer, we need three new midfielders (across Jan and Summer coming windows) to complement Knight with a view to the longer term; with King, James, and Williams deals all expiring in 7 months time and Benarous as of yet unlikely to come back from his innjury issues, assuming McCrorie will come in and displace Tanner at right-back.

Add Weimann also being out of contract come the summer.

With a view to that a couple of loans for players going into the final years of their contracts next season would make financial sense if we can agree optional fees.

Ironically two of our midfield targets (Adam Murphy [St Pats], and Callum Styles [Barnsley]) I'd possible enquire for, adding a loan. See if we can't shift Kingy early as I don't see a future for him under Manning.

Callum Styles can’t get in the Barnsley side one division down, I get Murphy (18, loads of time to improve) but Styles isn’t the answer.

I’d be amazed if we bring in 3 more midfielders next summer alongside Knight & Murphy.

2 possibly, depending on whether any of James, Williams or TGH are still here, but can’t see 3.

11 hours ago, WoodsDTES said:

Or you could turn it around and say the Tanner made Weimann look poor today by continually ignoring the runs being made ahead of him and constantly turning back.

Weimann made many good runs first half and was totally ignored.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

Or you could turn it around and say the Tanner made Weimann look poor today by continually ignoring the runs being made ahead of him and constantly turning back.

Weimann made many good runs first half and was totally ignored.

His runs were all infield where it needs an eye-of-needle pass to find him, he offered no outlet down the right, which made Tanner look worse.

To me he contributed virtually nothing in that position, just like when he played there v Norwich. Needs to be moved on, but I think he has a clause in his contract allowing him to exercise a further 1 year based on appearances? 

2 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

His runs were all infield where it needs an eye-of-needle pass to find him, he offered no outlet down the right, which made Tanner look worse.

To me he contributed virtually nothing in that position, just like when he played there v Norwich. Needs to be moved on, but I think he has a clause in his contract allowing him to exercise a further 1 year based on appearances? 

They weren't eye of the needle passes. Several were first time simple passes that Tanner refused. Obviously Weimann is going to drift inside, he's not a winger.

10 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

I can see Tommy wanting to leave this summer if the new head coach, what's his name? continues to play him on his own without any decent passes to use and expecting him to score from the pathetic service he's receiving.

Liam Manning is the Head coaches name👍

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Callum Styles can’t get in the Barnsley side one division down, I get Murphy (18, loads of time to improve) but Styles isn’t the answer.

I’d be amazed if we bring in 3 more midfielders next summer alongside Knight & Murphy.

2 possibly, depending on whether any of James, Williams or TGH are still here, but can’t see 3.

He's been fairly disillusioned there under Collins is my understanding and moved between different positions often.

My post was with the assumption that James, King, and Williams all leave in the summer.

1 hour ago, old_eastender said:

Your absolute favourite whipping boy

You would slate him if he scored a brace every game

Who will take over when Andi leaves .... you have a few that you dabble with

• Like 1

Re Williams. 
Whilst he’s actually played generally okay-ish in the last few games I would actually level the blame on him for Millwall’s goal. 
He’s the first one to try to close down once the ball goes to the edge of the box (which is great, well done Joe), but then he completely messes up by attempting to intercept the ball with his head instead of standing his ground and attempting a block. 
If he stands and blocks then the ball doesn’t get to the scorer. 
I have absolutely no idea why he was attempting to intercept with his head in this vital situation. 
Without this error, this dull game ends 0-0, just as it deserved to. 

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, WoodsDTES said:

He also has a habit of moaning and complaining long after a decision has been made, and is therefore out of position.

I love his passion, but 3 times he left us exposed by not just getting on with the game after the ref (who was very poor) had made his decision.

• Like 1

He said back in December, maybe even November, that he loves the club & the area, and really wants to get a new contract. 

It’s one thing to publicly say it, it’s another thing to play like a man possessed to then prove that you really meant it. 

Fair play to him. Have even more respect for him than I did beforehand. 

• Like 2

I think he has been exactly what we thought we had bought for several games now, but today I thought it was a real leaders performance. Strong in the tackle , calm on the ball , aware of a pass and energy all over the pitch. 
If we can find the balance in positions for TGH & Knight we could be a real threat.