IGNORED

Don’t get too high with the highs and don’t get too low with the lows

Something I’ve heard a lot recently and certainly describes the last week at this club! Today was a very poor performance, personally felt we missed that player who can provide that individual brilliance to get us out of jail. However overall, the Christmas period has been positive results wise and we now sit 4 points off the playoffs in the top half which I'd have certainly taken after the Blackburn game. We’re now in a transfer window and the schedule isn’t as hectic as last month so looking forward to see what the month brings starting with an exciting cup tie. COYR!

• Like 1
  • Robin 1

Anyone who got carried away with thoughts of a play off place was frankly deluded, as even with wins we remain miles off it.  I think the lows today are manner of our play, as not watched such a boring game since Brum on Friday.  We have nobody to open teams up and play it around so slow that it’s boring.  How many people were there today who were at their first game of season & what incentive is there for them to come back? Missed opportunity.  We need pace & no idea why Bell didn’t start in place of Sykes as that’s the change we make ? Williams & James are too similar but would go with Williams at present but not both.  Weimann wide is an absolute no for me. 

We need to be realistic and accept quality is not there & squad depth is killing us as 4 in 11 hurt us.  We need new blood in January for sure &  whilst im delighted with points return but I’ll be happier when we get to 50 points then everything else this year is a bonus.   

Edited by Shuffle
  • Thanks 1

I think if you’re right tactically you don’t need to rely on that one moment of individual brilliance. We had that against Boro and it was going to take something of that nature again today because we were that poor.

What troubled me today was reversion to type. I’ve been consistent in my view both that we’re better without the ball and that we need to play quickly. Neither of those happened today and it was a very similar performance to QPR for large parts, both in its turgid nature and very nearly it’s outcome.

So, my feeling at the moment is that we looked to be onto something with the (in particular) Hull and Watford games, which were dare I say it front foot football. We today reverted back to what was Liams preferred style first six games - we did to a degree against Brum but I think they were just hyper defensive. And that has to be a concern as it simply doesn’t work. Nothing to do with highs and lows, everything to do with playing the wrong way.

• Like 5
  • Flames 1

10 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

The don’t get to…highs and lows nonsense is a bit rich. 

if we get beat we get beat. That’s the game. But 180 minutes of dirge needs to be called out for what it is. Utter bloody pointless rubbish. 

Agree we were awful, but also important not to dwell on it too much 

That was absolutely turgid today. Haven’t been as bored watching a football game for years. Spent most of the time looking at the steel trusses on the roof of the south stand thinking they could do with a good old clean. They’ve aged more than the atyeo. Thought the seagulls were going to provide some entertainment at one stage but unfortunately they decided to stay away-a wise move. Can’t wait for the next home game…

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RSW8 said:

That was absolutely turgid today. Haven’t been as bored watching a football game for years. Spent most of the time looking at the steel trusses on the roof of the south stand thinking they could do with a good old clean. They’ve aged more than the atyeo. Thought the seagulls were going to provide some entertainment at one stage but unfortunately they decided to stay away-a wise move. Can’t wait for the next home game…

Also one of the fellas doing the half time Thatchers apple roll fell over. A proper treat if you didn’t head down to the concourse at half time. Edge of the seat stuff 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Charlie BCFC said:

Agree we were awful, but also important not to dwell on it too much 

I think dwelling on stuff is a bit of a thing right now. 

But yes I will try and take your advice in the coming days. Today I’m bloody angry. 

Edited by REDOXO
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

I think dwelling on stuff is a bit of a thing right now. 

But yes I will try and take your advice in the coming days. Today I’m bloody angry. 

Given that after the Norwich game you were "as angry as I've ever been after a game" or something similar, do you maybe not think you overreact somewhat?

9 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Given that after the Norwich game you were "as angry as I've ever been after a game" or something similar, do you maybe not think you overreact somewhat?

Nope! A little more anger and a little less acceptance may have helped over the last 45 years!

Edited by REDOXO
  • Like 1

Football is about highs and lows. If all you do is sit in a mid-range stupor of non-events and emotion, well you are in the wrong sport. It is the essence of the game. Of course, you can take the mid term view of things, and managers and the like need to do that. But for fans, that is why we are fans. Hero to zero and back again in 7 days. 

As an observation, Pep, Klopp, Arteta seem pretty animated to me. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Was more fun, less clinical I'd suggest.

Of course I get it, it can even be beneficial at times the not too high etc but the game, the experience has lost something.

Is that easy to say after dour last minute loss though? All forgotten when you turn round a 2-1 deficit into a 3-2 win. Swings and roundabouts 

need a couple more players for sure to make that high a little more routine 

• Like 1