IGNORED

Conway - do we cash in?

Based on Semenyo and Scott, Conway entering the last 18 months of his contract will be sold. Who to is a different matter, as he is hardly going to shine as a lone striker, it does not suit him. However, he is well known amongst other clubs, so someone might try for a bargain. If he gets to the end of his contract, it is a compensation situation. With our current lack of options, you would think he will move in the summer, but could we turn down £2/3M in January, as an example? He will not command a huge fee with the way we/he/team are playing right now. 

Purely opinion, zero factual evidence to back it up, but  I cannot see Conway signing a new contract with BCFC. He will get a better deal elsewhere and has shown enough potential that he should prove attractive to a PP club at worst or a relatively low-cost project for a Prem side. 

9 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

So less than £15m  (due to amortisation)?  Was thinking squad valuation would be an important element, if a sale (of the club) happened.

Correct, less amortisation the squad value is now £4.9m (at 30th June).

From a sale point of view, you’d be looking at a “proper” squad valuation, rather than the accounting one, although in some circumstances you might have a pile of crap over-valued in the books 🤣🤣🤣

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ivorguy said:

Yes, sale.  Before his profile drops

........then he goes somewhere else and starts scoring for fun. I should imagine the forum would take a very pragmatic view of that. Players do lose form, have second season syndrome etc. He's got the ability to make people look very daft before the end of the season. If he refuses to sign a new contract within a prescribed time that is a completely different matter.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

As per the above, I have been thoroughly disappointed with Tommy this season. I don’t think the lone role suits him at all, offers very little threat and struggles up against physical CB. With just 18 months to go I would be tempted to sell this month, I don’t think we will get more than £5M to be honest, but we need a better all round striker to progress. A shame as I really hoped this would be his season but lacks that quality required. 

FFS, no

Let’s face it, it matters not who is up front - we have a midfield incapable of creating enough chances for any striker to shine - best chance they get of scoring is when the forwards make their own luck!

look back at the last couple of seasons, there was better service to whoever was up front and the goals came - compare that to the tactics we use now!

65 years a fan, seen top flight once and I will not see it  happen again until we manage to play like a team with some pride in the shirt - AND with the will not coached out of them!

In terms of potential Tommy is one of the best players I've seen at the club since first setting foot on hallowed ground in 83 after Andy Cole and Alex Scott. All we need to do is provide him with service, ain't rocket science.

Believe me, this guy will go on to big things with club and country, you heard it here first, read it and keep! 🤣 

Edited by McNasty Filth
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

Just wanted to bump this thread to the top as even though it’s only the 6th January - I believe it should be contender for most ridiculous post of the year.

….and that’s with me posting on here to! 😄

I refused to contribute - other than some accountancy info!

• Like 1

7 in 20 this season, and I think he’ll admit himself he’s had some off games. If he’s going a little under 1 in 2, and that’s him ‘off’… yea I’d probably keep our hands on this one! 

21 years old and 20 City goals to his name by the way!

• Facepalm 1

4 minutes ago, BCFCGav said:

7 in 20 this season, and I think he’ll admit himself he’s had some off games. If he’s going a little under 1 in 2, and that’s him ‘off’… yea I’d probably keep our hands on this one! 

7 goals 

1214 mins

14 starts / 6 subs

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, BCFCGav said:

He’s played the equivalent of 12 matches in total minutes so more like 7 in 12 

• Like 5

33 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

He's a goalscorer. Create things for him and he'll score goals, it's not complicated.

It’s not is it!

In those kind of positions like today he is our best finisher since Shaun Goater!

Edited by REDOXO
  • Like 1

Unless you are playing for a Top 3 club, not that many players actually score 20+ league goals a season in the Championship. 

If he was playing up front for Leicester, he’d score a bucket load. 

Let’s not forget he’s suffered a couple bad injuries which has hindered his progress a little bit too. 

• Like 2
  • Hmmm 1

Great for him to finally score his first non-penalty goal for a fair while. Hopefully help him kick on. Still need to find a way to get the best out of him, and get him on the ball far more often, if we are to persist with this system. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

5 goals in his last 11 appearances and scoring against good teams too: West Ham, and teams in and around the play-offs in Boro, Hull and Sunderland. 

Not that it will matter in the stats at season end (and they still need to be put away) but it’s notable that the goals against all three of those teams were from the spot. It could equally be spun as two goals in open play in the last 12 which would look far less impressive.

(NB for avoidance of doubt I think the suggestion to cash in was mental and Tommy is a more than good enough striker at this level with capacity to develop still further)

• Like 1