IGNORED

"Conway and Bell will be our front two for years to come"

Numero Uno

2 minutes ago, fisherrich said:

Good point.

I knew Bobby Reid when he was younger/early days at AG. He went out with a girl I knew.
Bobby was pretty skinny also in his early days. Decided to hit the gym weights etc and bulk up a bit. If you meet him today, he’s twice the man he used to be. The rest is history.

There is absolutely no comparison to where reid was and where bell is reid had quality genuine quality even when he was played in midfield lightyears ahead of where bell is when he was bells age! 

I'm not convinced that Sam Bell can cut it at this level. Conway desperately needs a Centre Forward partner and the obvious choice is Nahki. 

Manning on playing 'a 2'...

When asked before Christmas about how he views his strikers, Manning indicated he was wedded to a one-man approach. “I have played two up top before, but in terms of how we play, and especially at this level, I think it’s quite common if you look at teams building, they’re dropping seven, eight players low in build-up; teams build in a back four, the front two drop in and keep just wingers high and wide," he said.

“The game’s evolving constantly with what you need so at the minute we’re playing one up which I don’t see changing massively in the near future but I don’t think that’s a bad thing in terms of having two players with that quality and that pedigree as options, but also competing.”

18 hours ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

Have never been a fan of Bell, Ivan Sproule type headless moments. Seems very lost as a player, I am not convinced he is good enough for this level. 

Our forward players are just simply not good enough for this level. Could do with a whole new frontline. 

I'm not sure i agree with this. We've seen many games this season when we create sod all for the strikers. The problem is we have no creative midfielders and haven't replaced Scott.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

I think that in time Sam will be a decent championship player, he’s only 21 is keen as mustard to learn and be better and we should all respect that he recently been called up for England under 20s.. remember his goal at Swansea last year.. quality. All of our attacking woes shouldn’t be laid at his feet.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, FNQ said:

I think that in time Sam will be a decent championship player, he’s only 21 is keen as mustard to learn and be better and we should all respect that he recently been called up for England under 20s.. remember his goal at Swansea last year.. quality. All of our attacking woes shouldn’t be laid at his feet.

Sam is actually a good goal poacher in the box. His shots on target percentage is high. The problem has been that often we haven’t played in a way that has suited his game. But then neither has it suited Conway, Wells, and Weimann. On that basis, I wouldn’t say our lack of goals should be blamed on the strikers but rather those behind them who should be making the opportunities. And no we haven’t replaced Scott properly, and that becomes even more apparent when just playing James and Williams in midfield.

Edited by Dr Balls
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Tomo said:

I'm not convinced that Sam Bell can cut it at this level. Conway desperately needs a Centre Forward partner and the obvious choice is Nahki. 

Manning on playing 'a 2'...

When asked before Christmas about how he views his strikers, Manning indicated he was wedded to a one-man approach. “I have played two up top before, but in terms of how we play, and especially at this level, I think it’s quite common if you look at teams building, they’re dropping seven, eight players low in build-up; teams build in a back four, the front two drop in and keep just wingers high and wide," he said.

“The game’s evolving constantly with what you need so at the minute we’re playing one up which I don’t see changing massively in the near future but I don’t think that’s a bad thing in terms of having two players with that quality and that pedigree as options, but also competing.”

That could be an obvious issue with Conway not signing his contract so far. Does he stay and learn to play up top on his own (which might make him a more rounded player) or if he gets a better offer elsewhere in terms of playing with a partner, not just money, does he say “sod it” and bugger off?

The reality is that 21 is far too young an age to confidently predict a player’s career trajectory. Both Conway and Bell undoubtedly have attributes that suggest they could flourish as a front two. Both also have weaknesses or areas where they need to learn.

And - like pretty much all players of their age - both regularly drift out of games and struggle for consistency.

My best guess is both will go on to have careers at Championship level or above. But that depends on a lot of factors. I find it ridiculous how some in this thread are writing off two 21 year olds but it’d be equally ridiculous to claim they are absolute certainties to make it a high level.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

It can't be denied he had next to no impact when he came on Monday.  The mascots probably influenced the game more. 

Said it on another thread, Yeboah wasn't in the squad but he would have been a far better bet against Murray Wallace who is solid but certainly isn't quick. It's then a case of hoping that the final ball is up to the mark but let's be fair Bell didn't deliver that on the one occasion he needed to either!!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, BCFC31 said:

There is absolutely no comparison to where reid was and where bell is reid had quality genuine quality even when he was played in midfield lightyears ahead of where bell is when he was bells age! 

The same Reid who as a midfielder we would happily have flogged for £300k at the start of his breakthrough season as a number 10/winger?

3 hours ago, Super said:

I'm not sure i agree with this. We've seen many games this season when we create sod all for the strikers. The problem is we have no creative midfielders and haven't replaced Scott.

Depressingly Scott is making a huge impact for Bournemouth even with the few games he's played.  Just shows how good he was, and what a miss he is.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Lorenzos Only Goal said:

I'd push Naismith up into holding midfield, keep Dickie in central defensive pair.  I like James but I think Naismith is more creative.

If possession is the aim of the game then having Dickie, Naismith and Atkinson back there will make a huge difference. At the moment if you stop Rob Dickie from travelling with the ball and block off his passing options then you stop Bristol City as an effective unit going forward. Wagner, Sunderland's Caretaker, Edwards and even sodding Rooney have proven it beyond any doubt. It's a bit harder to put a plan in place stopping three players in that area who can all play a bit.............

5 minutes ago, Lorenzos Only Goal said:

Depressingly Scott is making a huge impact for Bournemouth even with the few games he's played.  Just shows how good he was, and what a miss he is.

Just hope we got a decent sell on clause for Scott because my feeling is that he won’t be at Bournemouth for long. The problem is that the biggest clubs buy very few young players directly from the Championship, but are then willing to pay far more buying the same player a season later once they have Premier League experience. False economy to me but there we go.

And at some point soon, I also reckon some higher PL team will come in for Semenyo. He could be Antonio’s replacement at West Ham as he is a defender’s nightmare even at Premier League level. Is he playing at the Africa Cup of Nations? Did Ghana qualify for the finals?

30 minutes ago, SecretSam said:

The same Reid who as a midfielder we would happily have flogged for £300k at the start of his breakthrough season as a number 10/winger?

Bobby reid in my opinion even as a midfielder  was a very technical player good touch good passing he was just light weight that is more a reflection on johnson then anything you know the manager who now can't buy a job in management.

1 hour ago, SecretSam said:

Quite simply, he was consistently played too deep. 

It took a pre-season injury crisis for Johnson to finally work out where he was best used. 

On 02/01/2024 at 14:27, Shauntaylor85 said:

Have never been a fan of Bell, Ivan Sproule type headless moments. Seems very lost as a player, I am not convinced he is good enough for this level. 

Our forward players are just simply not good enough for this level. Could do with a whole new frontline. 

When you are that small you either have to be extremely fast or very tricky. Unfortunately Bell is neither