IGNORED

"Conway and Bell will be our front two for years to come"

Numero Uno

6 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

We all know who made that statement.

Forgetting current form, is he right? Did he go too early? Can these two even play together as a two?

I’m not sure Bell will ever be physical enough to play up top in a two. He’s just so slight and easily muscled. I’m unconvinced he’s got a future at this level long term fullstop (but let’s not open up that debate again)

Conway has more about him centrally and has proven he can play in a two. I think he’s better as the second man (Phillips to Quinn if you will) and that again, considering Sam’s lack of presence, means that playing the two together actually negates Conway as a player and makes the partnership less likely.

For it to have any chance of working, the side would have to be set up to play at pace and get in behind early - so definitely not in this side! Think Riley/Neville where although different times it was a far more attacking setup

I think Tinnion went early for a couple of reasons. Firstly as he always bigs up anything academy - nothing wrong with that per se though. Secondly because they probably did work as a partnership. But that was at 17 against other 17 year olds - even at academy, total world of difference to pro game.

So short answer - is he right? No. Can they play as a two? No. Did he go early? Yes.

• Like 10

10 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Forgetting current form, is he right? Did he go too early? Can these two even play together as a two?

They could but I don’t think they could make a pair right now. Too naive and also too weak. Wells may not have Bell’s pure speed but he more than makes up for that in nous and strength. It’s also extremely unlikely that they would do that for us, because if either is really that good, we will sell them just like we always do. On that basis, a front pairing for Bournemouth in 5 years time? Maybe!!

38 minutes ago, spudski said:

I could see Bell in a 433. 

Bell, Conway, Wells/Sykes

TGH James Knight

Pring Naismith Vyner Tanner

No place for Dickie, shame on you 😉

On the basis of starting your best X1 when all fit means a back three of Vyner, Dickie, Atkinson.

Wing backs Sykes & Pring.

Knight,TGH, McCrorie in middle

Conway & Wells up top.

Naismith does not make my starting line up.

Re. signings, if the Irish lad Murphy is one for the future, any additions have to be better than what we have which means Knight level fees, i.e. £1.5-£2M 

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, headhunter said:

On the basis of starting your best X1 when all fit means a back three of Vyner, Dickie, Atkinson.

Conway & Wells up top.

Re. signings, if the Irish lad Murphy is one for the future, any additions have to be better than what we have which means Knight level fees, i.e. £1.5-£2M 

My biggest worry is that LM has a fixation with Mehmetti. 

He imo...is a player that is too inconsistent. 

I get the impression that LM see's him as the future and will try and fit players and a system around him. 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

I think Tinnion went early for a couple of reasons. Firstly as he always bigs up anything academy - nothing wrong with that per se though. Secondly because they probably did work as a partnership. But that was at 17 against other 17 year olds - even at academy, total world of difference to pro game.

So short answer - is he right? No. Can they play as a two? No. Did he go early? Yes.

I'm tempted to agree. How do you get those two to cause defenders like Hutchinson and Cooper problems? As you say it's not the same as tearing apart two centre halves at 17 years of age who end up at Bromsgrove Rovers and Retford United. Playing them as a two in an individual game let alone for years to come severely limits your way of playing I would suggest.

15 minutes ago, spudski said:

I get the impression that LM see's him as the future and will try and fit players and a system around him. 

I'm not sure of the last sentence, but he's certainly giving Mehmeti time to play his way into the team and in the absence of any other player being any better at the moment, why not ? I don't know if it will pay off, but we'll find out in a few more games I would think. He's playing better than the sporadic appearances under Pearson to be fair.

I'm not a great fan, but happy to give him some time to get his mojo back.

2 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

I'm not sure of the last sentence, but he's certainly giving Mehmeti time to play his way into the team and in the absence of any other player being any better at the moment, why not ? I don't know if it will pay off, but we'll find out in a few more games I would think. He's playing better than the sporadic appearances under Pearson to be fair.

That's the problem at this level...giving players time to become consistent. 

I personally don't like our reliance on attacking down the flanks and playing one up top. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

A defenders dream comes inside every time ,one trick pony .Think before  long he will drift away .

10 minutes ago, 95red said:

A defenders dream comes inside every time ,one trick pony .Think before  long he will drift away .

There was one bit with Anis yesterday in the middle of the first half when we broke and had the ball about 10 yards inside our own half, think Knight in possession and we had a 3 on 3 emerging. What it needed was a ball into the space behind the right side and Anis was in pole to run onto it had we done that. However, he checked and the ball ended up having to be played to him square because he didn’t make the right run/have the right awareness and wanted the ball at feet. That broke down the attack and opportunity lost as it took all the pace out.

Its a little thing in game but is symptomatic of needing to do a certain thing every time.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, spudski said:

Didn't Manning try to sign him previously? 

As for Conway and Bell. I thought they both played together going back to when they both broke into the team, but they seem to need Wells playing too to get the best performances out of eachother. 

26 minutes ago, RedM said:

Didn't Manning try to sign him previously? 

As for Conway and Bell. I thought they both played together going back to when they both broke into the team, but they seem to need Wells playing too to get the best performances out of eachother. 

Yes and yes. 

And I agree...both play better imo...in a 3. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

Conway and bell have both gone backwards in my opinion at an alarming rate as for Bell he is massively over rated and over hyped by tinion and the fan base because of his dad and all that shit wouldn't be anywhere near My championship squad for a long time if ever.

Edited by BCFC31
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, The Nest Egg said:

Sam Bell massively reminds me of Wes Burns. He will go on to play regularly at this level but not for a while

I agree with that, In 5 years time could see Bell being really good in the championship, it's just the having to spend the money on developing him over a long time I can't see the club going down that road just like they didn't with Wes 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, BCFC31 said:

Conway and bell have both gone backwards in my opinion at an alarming rate as for Bell he is massively over rated and over hyped by tinion and the fan base because of his dad and all that shit wouldn't be anywhere near My championship squad for a long time if ever.

Er, I don't see that he is keeping better players out of our squad. And that is the main problem isn't it?

1 hour ago, The Nest Egg said:

Sam Bell massively reminds me of Wes Burns. He will go on to play regularly at this level but not for a while

And thus if we are serious about promotion he must go at the optimum time for us to cash in.  And for the same reason we should keep the precious gems, like Scott, who come along so seldom - that is why we need new investors.

4 hours ago, headhunter said:

Conway & Wells up top.

How many one for the futures have we signed over the years ffs , we can’t keep doing that because the ones for the future either fall to the wayside or just as they become first team regulars they are then sold for the nest egg 

6 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

I’m not sure Bell will ever be physical enough to play up top in a two. He’s just so slight and easily muscled. I’m unconvinced he’s got a future at this level long term fullstop (but let’s not open up that debate again)

Conway has more about him centrally and has proven he can play in a two. I think he’s better as the second man (Phillips to Quinn if you will) and that again, considering Sam’s lack of presence, means that playing the two together actually negates Conway as a player and makes the partnership less likely.

For it to have any chance of working, the side would have to be set up to play at pace and get in behind early - so definitely not in this side! Think Riley/Neville where although different times it was a far more attacking setup

Good point.

I knew Bobby Reid when he was younger/early days at AG. He went out with a girl I knew.
Bobby was pretty skinny also in his early days. Decided to hit the gym weights etc and bulk up a bit. If you meet him today, he’s twice the man he used to be. The rest is history.