IGNORED

Your First Pair of "Proper" Football Boots

downendcity

On my Wembley Ball thread @Roger Red Hat posted this picture.

image.png.80ab2a9f17e266b48083ae14a477806c.png

It elicited some replies regarding the boots featured and reminded me of an early pair of boots I had. My first few pairs were run of the mill boots from Perry's Shoe shop in Staple Hill.

Then I had the chance to have a hand down pair of my cousin's Gola boots that he had grown out of . I cleaned a dubbined them so they were as soft as you like. They also had a long tongue, which was the look you wanted back then .

image.thumb.png.3a4a4df941a943e741c2b2db0aacb8ca.png 

However, the red letter day was when I bought my own boots for the first time from the sports shop by the Top Rank ( can't remember the name ) A pair of Adidas Santiago were the dog's b*******!

When I got home and showed them proudly to my Dad ( who had not the slightest interest in football, he asked how much they cost. When I told him £4.99 ( I think it was) he couldn't believe I would pay that much just to kick a ball around!

image.thumb.png.71c2290dfe5d09635d0471100a486d15.png 

Later on I had Stylo Matchmakers ( not the all white ones) then Patrick boots for a long time before using Puma until I finished playing in the late 80s

• Like 2

My first boots were probably of the winfield variety from Woolworths! Remember having golas and Patrick’s after that. Used to buy Lotto ones later on , never spent much on boots , never cleaned them , pulled them out of the bag on a Saturday with mould and grass growing out of the mud on the bottom = £1 dirty boot fine every week without fail!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I gave up watching City “full time” in 1977 when I was 17 and started playing men’s football.

i can’t remember what boots I wore as a kid but my first pair of real boot was the Patrick Chile which I bought from a sports shop in Redfield, they were slightly too big so I had to wear 2 pairs of socks.

I eventually graduated to the Adidas World Cup boot (with the big tongue) what a thing of beauty they were.

I can’t imagine many more pleasurable moments than going to a sports shop and selecting your new boots back in the day.

I can’t remember the brand, but I remember having to loop the laces around the bottom of my boots before tying them because they were so long. I used to love doing that. 

My first shin pads were terrible, made of bamboo from what I remember. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Flames 1

First “screw ins” were Mitre in late 70s.

Remember having some Adidas Zephyrs, Puma Dalglish Silvers, Adidas Beckenbauers…never had World Cups - wasted on a CB!

Majority of senior playing career was Puma Kings (screws and Moulds) as they tended to have a wider fit, until they suddenly became narrow, and I got a pair of Predators (blades) and Mizuno moulds (which were probably the comfiest boot I ever had).  The Preds and Mizuno never got much wear as I was always injured!

@mattjb the managers son used to clean mine for a £1!

My first pair cost £4 19s 11d.  

A bargain! I can remember the convoluted way you had to tie the laces on the old football boots. Underneath then round the back then a few more bits 

• Like 1

Puma Dalglish were my first boots  

And I managed to get them signed by Bryan Robson when he visited that sports shop along the back of horsefair - SportsFair or something wasn’t it called?? 

IMG_4545.jpeg

Edited by Harry

Just now, Harry said:

Puma Dalglish were my first boots  

And I managed to get them signed by Bryan Robson when he visited that sports shop along the back of horsefair - Sports Scene or something wasn’t it called?? 

IMG_4545.jpeg

Sports Scene was Broadwalk…..might’ve been Sports Fair.  I bought some Lotto Donadoni’d in there!

Just now, Davefevs said:

Sports Scene was Broadwalk…..might’ve been Sports Fair.  I bought some Lotto Donadoni’d in there!

Yeah was Sports Fair. I’d just edited before your reply 🤣

• Haha 1

First ever pair as a 7 year old kid (around 1990) were black gola’s with orange logo on the side and all white plastic moulded studs on the bottom. Think they were bought at that little sports shop on the A370 near Congresbury/Yatton. Through junior football I had reebok giggs supremes, Umbro speciali’s, puma kings, fila, kappa, adidas predators. 
Mainly wore Predators in mens football with the occasional pair of adidas world cups/ copa’s. 

I consider my first proper boots as my first screw-ins.  It was the 70s and we were pretty skint so they were second hand pumas that were two sizes too big, but I wore them.  First pair that I got bought for me new, were Adidas Santiago.  Loved those boots.

Screenshot_20240104-143325.thumb.png.19cc22e0ba5467c0806955508412144d.png 

Edited by Red Skin
  • Flames 1

3 minutes ago, Red Skin said:

I consider my first proper boots as my first screw-ins.  It was the 70s and we were pretty skint so they were second hand pumas that were two sizes too big, but I wore them.  First pair that I got bought for me new, were Adidas Santiago.  Loved those boots.

Ooooooooh, they were nice, I had a second pair of those off my cousin…Wore 3 pairs of socks so they fitted.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Curr Avon said:

Looks more like an advert for a food mixer!

JET would have like them , he could have done two pirouettes and a triple salco as he moved in to net a penalty 

On a serious note you do well to get through 5 games wearing them without doing a ACL

Edited by Sheltons Army
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Red Army 75 said:

Yep pair of Patrick’s in the 80s also. Best boot I played in was the Puma King. Loved um

Exactly the same as me. Moulded studs in primary, only the really cool kids had scew ins back then. Went to secondary school in 1978, with a shiny pair of Patricks (Keegans rings a bell) then swapped to Puma Kings and never swayed.

Long metal studs for rugby (sharpened obviously, the St Brendan's way), short plastic studs for Sunday morning football. Sunday afternoons were Bauer turbo ice hockey boots.

Happy days.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

JET would have like them , he could have done two pirouettes and a triple salco as he moved in to net a penalty 

On a serious note you do well to get through 5 games wearing them without doing a ACL

ACLs werent invented back then...

you had the magic sponge on it then a fag at half time after the quarter of an orange..... 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Ska Junkie said:

Exactly the same as me. Moulded studs in primary, only the really cool kids had scew ins back then. Went to secondary school in 1978, with a shiny pair of Patricks (Keegans rings a bell) then swapped to Puma Kings and never swayed.

Long metal studs for rugby (sharpened obviously, the St Brendan's way), short plastic studs for Sunday morning football. Sunday afternoons were Bauer turbo ice hockey boots.

Happy days.

I always thought plastic studs , Ska , sharpened around edges , having walked across concrete in / out of changing  rooms etc , were actually more dangerous than metal studs , caused a lot of cuts

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

53 minutes ago, Red Skin said:

Mine were Adidas Inter also with screw in studs

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

I always thought plastic studs , Ska , sharpened around edges , having walked across concrete in / out of changing  rooms etc , were actually more dangerous than metal studs , caused a lot of cuts

Metals were lethal after a while Shelts, particularly in the rucks. I inadvertently 😇 sliced a teachers cheek in training once and by god did I pay for it! 🤬🤬

Neutral match officials spoilt the fun in the 5th year by checking studs, apart from when we gave our annual humiliation to Bris over the road. 😉

Edited by Ska Junkie
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

First “screw ins” were Mitre in late 70s.

Remember having some Adidas Zephyrs, Puma Dalglish Silvers, Adidas Beckenbauers…never had World Cups - wasted on a CB!

Majority of senior playing career was Puma Kings (screws and Moulds) as they tended to have a wider fit, until they suddenly became narrow, and I got a pair of Predators (blades) and Mizuno moulds (which were probably the comfiest boot I ever had).  The Preds and Mizuno never got much wear as I was always injured!

@mattjb the managers son used to clean mine for a £1!

Was all good at the end of the season, all the fine money was given out as free beer tokens on the last home game . Free drink in the clubhouse followed by a pub crawl , deadly!