IGNORED

Your First Pair of "Proper" Football Boots

downendcity

28 minutes ago, Rocking Red Cyril said:

Gosh I always remember I would try boots on for ever trying to find the cheapest most comfy. I always wore two socks under my boots to have the shin pad between them . It saved taping the s.hin lads on. I remember when I started in the men's leagues at 15. I never wore shin pads. Untill one of the older players was covered a game in our reserve side . And was shocked I did not wear shon pads

He gave me his and ordered me to wear them . :laugh: it so funny looking back 

Remember playing at Peasedown, and one of their lovely (👀) players suggested “let’s break his legs, he isn’t wearing shin pads”

• Sad 1

23 hours ago, mattjb said:

My first boots were probably of the winfield variety from Woolworths! Remember having golas and Patrick’s after that. Used to buy Lotto ones later on , never spent much on boots , never cleaned them , pulled them out of the bag on a Saturday with mould and grass growing out of the mud on the bottom = £1 dirty boot fine every week without fail!

Had a mate like you never cleaned his boots. One of his boots split during a game, i had spare pair and said you can have em mate as long as you clean them.

He turned up the next Saturday and i thought they look good he must have even polished em. In the kickabout before the game i noticed black marks on the balls, he'd only Tyre blacked the ******* boots!!!!!!

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Remember playing at Peasedown, and one of their lovely (👀) players suggested “let’s break his legs, he isn’t wearing shin pads”

What a place that was to play !

Horrendous , with a fair few locals shouting similar most of the game , threatening oppo players , and regularly standing not on the touch line but onto the pitch 

5 hours ago, Rocking Red Cyril said:

Gosh I always remember I would try boots on for ever trying to find the cheapest most comfy. I always wore two socks under my boots to have the shin pad between them . It saved taping the s.hin lads on. I remember when I started in the men's leagues at 15. I never wore shin pads. Untill one of the older players was covered a game in our reserve side . And was shocked I did not wear shon pads

He gave me his and ordered me to wear them . :laugh: it so funny looking back 

I always wore shin pads until one game (at Wick I think it was) when I unpacked my bag to find no shin pads.

Sod's law, 5 minutes into the game I knocked a through ball past the centre half. I was quick, so he raised his foot to bring me down. The edge of the sole of his boot (screw in studs) ran up the front of my shin and peeled the skin off like a pencil sharpener.

Cue everyone pointing out that I should have worn shin pads!

• Facepalm 1

29 minutes ago, downendcity said:

I always wore shin pads until one game (at Wick I think it was) when I unpacked my bag to find no shin pads.

Sod's law, 5 minutes into the game I knocked a through ball past the centre half. I was quick, so he raised his foot to bring me down. The edge of the sole of his boot (screw in studs) ran up the front of my shin and peeled the skin off like a pencil sharpener.

How long ago are we talking and which league? Could well have been ryley towlers grandad !

5 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I scored a hat trick at Peasedown for Clutton Reserves. Didn't shower, quick sprint to the car and getaway!! 

13 minutes ago, harvey54 said:

I scored a hat trick at Peasedown for Clutton Reserves. Didn't shower, quick sprint to the car and getaway!! 

Our mistake was going 1-0 up!

You're lucky your car wasn’t on bricks!

Edited by Davefevs
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, mattjb said:

How long ago are we talking and which league? Could well have been ryley towlers grandad !

Early/mid 70s district league.

If it was Ryley's grandad it would be a sliding doors moment...........or is it wheels?!

Edited by downendcity
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, downendcity said:

yeah......you should have worn shin pads.....

I spent about £150 on a pair of predator mania’s, customised with my nickname on the tongue. Got them from the football boot shop that used to be in the Arcade in broadmead. 
Playing away at Hengrove one week, a team mate had forgotten his boots and I let him use these predators. With hardly any time left in the game, someone played a ball over the top for him, and the Hengrove keeper came well out of his box and 2 footed him half way up his shin. Compete brake of tib and fib. Horrific injury. My boot had to be cut off his foot by the paramedics. Serves me right for getting them personalised I guess 😂

1 hour ago, jambodinho said:

I spent about £150 on a pair of predator mania’s, customised with my nickname on the tongue. Got them from the football boot shop that used to be in the Arcade in broadmead. 
Playing away at Hengrove one week, a team mate had forgotten his boots and I let him use these predators. With hardly any time left in the game, someone played a ball over the top for him, and the Hengrove keeper came well out of his box and 2 footed him half way up his shin. Compete brake of tib and fib. Horrific injury. My boot had to be cut off his foot by the paramedics. Serves me right for getting them personalised I guess 😂

Whose Sports?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jambodinho said:

Yeah that’s the one. Had a few pairs from there. Think a lot of the pro’s got them from there also. Saw Leroy Lita, Aaron Brown and a couple of others in there back in the day. 

Lad I went to 6th form college with was manager there at one point.