IGNORED

Your First Pair of "Proper" Football Boots

downendcity

Puma Kings or Adidas World Cups,the two best pairs of boots ever,in my humble opinion.Paid £80 for a pair Kings in about 1983/84 kangaroo leather,like wearing slippers,anyway it must of been around April at the end of the season,pitch was bone hard,so I decided to wear my Sambas, my brother asked if he could wear my Kings,what harm could it do?,well he kicked the toe out of the right boot,the rest of the team thought it was hilarious.I’ve never really forgiven him.

9 minutes ago, NOTBLUE said:

Puma Kings or Adidas World Cups,the two best pairs of boots ever,in my humble opinion.Paid £80 for a pair Kings in about 1983/84 kangaroo leather,like wearing slippers,anyway it must of been around April at the end of the season,pitch was bone hard,so I decided to wear my Sambas, my brother asked if he could wear my Kings,what harm could it do?,well he kicked the toe out of the right boot,the rest of the team thought it was hilarious.I’ve never really forgiven him.

Most pleasing on the eye was world cups. Loved them. Bought one pair , played about 5 games in them 50-50 tackle they split toe to heal . Adidas wouldn’t replace them . 😫

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sheltons Army said:

I always thought plastic studs , Ska , sharpened around edges , having walked across concrete in / out of changing  rooms etc , were actually more dangerous than metal studs , caused a lot of cuts

I agree.  Remember metal studs were frowned upon until I showed our keeper’s boots with plastic studs that had started to fray and form a nice sharp ridge.

Me to my mum “where’s me stud spanner” - “in the polish tin with all the others”!

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I agree.  Remember metal studs were frowned upon until I showed our keeper’s boots with plastic studs that had started to fray and form a nice sharp ridge.

Me to my mum “where’s me stud spanner” - “in the polish tin with all the others”!

That’s it , turned them into little disc cutters !

• Like 1

My first boots beyond second hand boots were Power and were bought by my grandparents. I was quite emotional receiving them, £3 was a lot of money, and had to be coaxed into playing in them as I feared damaging them. 

power-points-1974-2.jpg?w=2500&h=

Edited by Cowshed

55 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Most pleasing on the eye was world cups. Loved them. Bought one pair , played about 5 games in them 50-50 tackle they split toe to heal . Adidas wouldn’t replace them . 😫

Puma Kings for wide feet,World cups narrower feet, that’s what I found anyway.When I wore Kings,I wore two pairs of socks.

Think my old man bought me a pair of Gold Cups when I was about big enough for school footy. They were a decent boot with cardboard insoles that soaked up the water and rivetted soles. Made in China - at a time when little was outside of Hong Kong.

Later selected Mitres from a shop in Sandy Park or Fairfax House. Eventually graduated to Adidas Liberos - it didn't stop me playing like a cow on a bike though.

8 hours ago, downendcity said:

On my Wembley Ball thread @Roger Red Hat posted this picture.

image.png.80ab2a9f17e266b48083ae14a477806c.png

It elicited some replies regarding the boots featured and reminded me of an early pair of boots I had. My first few pairs were run of the mill boots from Perry's Shoe shop in Staple Hill.

Then I had the chance to have a hand down pair of my cousin's Gola boots that he had grown out of . I cleaned a dubbined them so they were as soft as you like. They also had a long tongue, which was the look you wanted back then .

image.thumb.png.3a4a4df941a943e741c2b2db0aacb8ca.png 

However, the red letter day was when I bought my own boots for the first time from the sports shop by the Top Rank ( can't remember the name ) A pair of Adidas Santiago were the dog's b*******!

When I got home and showed them proudly to my Dad ( who had not the slightest interest in football, he asked how much they cost. When I told him £4.99 ( I think it was) he couldn't believe I would pay that much just to kick a ball around!

image.thumb.png.71c2290dfe5d09635d0471100a486d15.png 

Later on I had Stylo Matchmakers ( not the all white ones) then Patrick boots for a long time before using Puma until I finished playing in the late 80s

If you wore Gola in my school it meant eternal ridicule for some reason 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ronnie Sinclair said:

If you wore Gola in my school it meant eternal ridicule for some reason 

Redmaids? :)

I was given a pair of the Alan Ball white boots that were bought at a jumble sale (ask your grandparents kids)

They were about 3 sizes too big and lasted me ages.

Later on I played school boy level for Gloucestershire county and scored in my first two games wearing, Puma moulded with the big fold over tongues.

IMG_1104.jpeg

• Flames 1

My very first pair were very similar to these except they had brown toe caps. Hand me downs from the kid whose house backed on to ours. This was mid-late 1960s when I was in Summerhill primary school. After much hilarity and ridicule from the other kids once I got into the school team later on I was bought a pair of George Best boots from my mums club book.

Top-Dog-Football-Boots-1.jpg

Edited by Red Shadow

1 hour ago, Southport Red said:

Georgie Best, Stylo Matchmakers. Bought second hand from a school friend. I was the envy of Portway school (for about a week). 

IMG_0468.jpeg

That was my first pair of football boots too, though I was lucky enough to have them new.  

Made no difference though, because the only similarity with George Best was the actual boots, as I was totally shit!!!😁

16 hours ago, Harry said:

Puma Dalglish were my first boots  

And I managed to get them signed by Bryan Robson when he visited that sports shop along the back of horsefair - SportsFair or something wasn’t it called?? 

IMG_4545.jpeg

Sports fair was great! By the late 80s they starting stocking foreign shirts,,, loved them, i got a glenn hoddle monaco one with loads of shirt sponsors, and the first shirt id seen made by nike!

Patrick’s for me too in the 90s, from that sports shop on North Street that turned into an estate agent, then a deli, now a tattoo/piercing shop. 

I can’t think of anywhere outside of Sports Direct that I could walk to to pick up a pair of boots now

I got some Reebok Sidewinders from the shop in the Arcade as my first pair. Must have been about 1995? Worn by Cole, Klinnsman, Giggs.  I loved those boots and wore them well after they were too small for me. 
Interesting someone mentioned the Adidas World Cups for narrow feet, I bought a pair of Predators when they were the big thing and they destroyed my feet every game. Only then did I learn that us wide feet footballers were not welcome at adidas! Nike or Puma ever since

I had a lovely pair of foldover tongue Hi-Tec as a kid, then went to Lotto for youth football and ended up in adult football almost exclusively wearing Adidas World Cups on soft ground and Copa Mundials on hard.

I did have a season in some lovely Andrea’s mouldeds that were recommended but they seem hard to get now.

I had a pair of Gola (from a chairty shop as my parents were always proper skint!).....thought I was Schilachi after I got them....he had more success in front of goal though 🤣

29 minutes ago, reddoc said:

I've still got a pair of Umbro Special League boots that I bought in the late 80's, that sit in a bag under the stairs complete with shinpads, socks and shorts, 'just in case'. I'm 63 this year 🤣

Love this! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Gosh I always remember I would try boots on for ever trying to find the cheapest most comfy. I always wore two socks under my boots to have the shin pad between them . It saved taping the s.hin lads on. I remember when I started in the men's leagues at 15. I never wore shin pads. Untill one of the older players was covered a game in our reserve side . And was shocked I did not wear shon pads

He gave me his and ordered me to wear them . :laugh: it so funny looking back