IGNORED

Sammy cant stop scoring.

Roadrunner

2 hours ago, joe jordans teeth said:

This goes firmly at the feet of our owner and at some fans who like a singalong I’m afraid 

Lansdown provides the funds but doesn’t choose how we spend it, Mark Ashton and Lee Johnson are at fault. Kasey Palmer coming in is the most pointless waste of money I can possibly remember and that takes some doing

• Like 3

3 hours ago, The Nest Egg said:

A victim of the scattergun approach to recruitment at the time. Maybe would have had more of a chance if we didn't sign Palmer that summer too

Wasn’t rated by Johnson so they let him go.
Another crass decision to go with all the others. The rest is history.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Agree with every word.

Palmer was an utterly baffling signing, people like to jump on the bandwagon and say all 3 of the Chelsea players were poor but the other two made perfect sense.

Szmodics didn’t look ready in his very few opportunities & when he left us for (League One) Peterborough I don’t recall many (any?) of these posters complaining.

At 28, over 3 years since he left us it is clearly all coming together for him, but to pretend that there was a majority opinion at the time that said keep him is nonsense.

Good explanation Graham... players develop at different speeds and Szmodics didn't look ready for Champ football when we signed him.

His career path could be the same as Bobby Reid. Up until the age of 24 there was no way that i could see Bobby being a 10 million Prem footballer but credit to him, he really kicked on. Szmodics may earn a similar move now.

• Like 3
  • Robin 1

15 minutes ago, Charlie BCFC said:

Lansdown provides the funds but doesn’t choose how we spend it, Mark Ashton and Lee Johnson are at fault. Kasey Palmer coming in is the most pointless waste of money I can possibly remember and that takes some doing

I used to think Nakhi Wells was our worst value signing ever but his redemption arc has been considerable. It must be Palmer now, absolutely baffling signing

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Charlie BCFC said:

Everyone on here knows I like a good argument but I can’t with that 

3 hours ago, The Nest Egg said:

I used to think Nakhi Wells was our worst value signing ever but his redemption arc has been considerable. It must be Palmer now, absolutely baffling signing

In fairness, when you look at it 21/22 was a very poor season for him (even though he rarely started) his other two full seasons at the club he hit double figures for league goals. Not entirely sure he’s worth the high fee we paid but he has contributed 

1 hour ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Everyone on here knows I like a good argument but I can’t with that 

Could argue Tomlin but we got our fee back and he did contribute a fair few goals and assists atleast. That whole summer window and even the January window was a shambles with how it was ran

27 minutes ago, Charlie BCFC said:

In fairness, when you look at it 21/22 was a very poor season for him (even though he rarely started) his other two full seasons at the club he hit double figures for league goals. Not entirely sure he’s worth the high fee we paid but he has contributed 

Could argue Tomlin but we got our fee back and he did contribute a fair few goals and assists atleast. That whole summer window and even the January window was a shambles with how it was ran

Nah tomlin apart from a few sparks was dogshit 

52 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Nah tomlin apart from a few sparks was dogshit 

I agree but I always think the main difference between him and a couple of others is a couple of sparks and we got what we paid for back. Pretty sure we terminated Palmer’s contract early if I’m not mistaken?

1 hour ago, Charlie BCFC said:

We lost money on Tomlin.

(but it was the best transfer we did getting rid of him)

Edited by Davefevs

32 minutes ago, Charlie BCFC said:

I agree but I always think the main difference between him and a couple of others is a couple of sparks and we got what we paid for back. Pretty sure we terminated Palmer’s contract early if I’m not mistaken?

Nah we lost money on tomlin I think not as much as on palmer granted 

Palmer was from Chelsea, Szmodics was from Colchester, who would the majority of managers pick first ?

KP showed flashes of genius when he played but it wasn’t sufficient in our style of play and, sadly, when SS got his chances he never really took them. I don’t think it was bad business to move both of them on when we did. 
Also I think SS was a bit of a clown which LJ didn’t appreciate. 

11 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Agree with every word.

Palmer was an utterly baffling signing, people like to jump on the bandwagon and say all 3 of the Chelsea players were poor but the other two made perfect sense.

Szmodics didn’t look ready in his very few opportunities & when he left us for (League One) Peterborough I don’t recall many (any?) of these posters complaining.

At 28, over 3 years since he left us it is clearly all coming together for him, but to pretend that there was a majority opinion at the time that said keep him is nonsense.

Obviously I don't know how he was looking in training, and TBF if Johnson said he didn't think he was ready for the Championship and loaned him out for a year it would have made sense. But he had 3 Sub appearances totalling about 1 full game , not really getting a chance, specially as they were at least 5 games apart.
That said totally agree with the last sentence , people tend to rewrite history a little after time. I remember questions being asked, but as fans we enjoyed spending and signing almost as much as LJ , until we realised what FFP meant.

10 hours ago, The Nest Egg said:

I liked Palmer and in that short spell with Afobe it looked like LJ knew what he was doing, after the injury it showed he didn't . Palmer needed pace and movement ahead of him and we didn't have it. 
I also like Nahki , but we paid far too much for him at the age he was. The problem was Johnson wanted a big striker signing . Wells from Burnley for £5M was too much to resist . He's done ok for us, but we could have spent that money better IMO.

6 hours ago, Davefevs said:

We lost money on Tomlin.

(but it was the best transfer we did getting rid of him)

On fees alone, I thought we signed him for £3.5m and sold him for the same . 

But agree it was brilliant business getting what we did for him.

• Like 1

WE paid about 500K for him from Colchester, he limited starts and went on loan and was sold for 1m, despite barely kicking a ball for us.

We made money on SS, there's no doubting he came good at Peterborough and was great in league one for them and carrier it forward and then joined Blackburn. I don't know if we got a sell on or not? But given how good in the market Peterborough usually are, they paid 1m for a player they recouped 1.5m for, despite him being more proven for them, than he was for us, we both made 500K out the player.

If anyone made a mistake, it was Peterborough selling him so cheaply, especially with still 2 years on his contract. 

25 minutes ago, robinforlife2 said:

WE paid about 500K for him from Colchester, he limited starts and went on loan and was sold for 1m, despite barely kicking a ball for us.

We made money on SS, there's no doubting he came good at Peterborough and was great in league one for them and carrier it forward and then joined Blackburn. I don't know if we got a sell on or not? But given how good in the market Peterborough usually are, they paid 1m for a player they recouped 1.5m for, despite him being more proven for them, than he was for us, we both made 500K out the player.

If anyone made a mistake, it was Peterborough selling him so cheaply, especially with still 2 years on his contract. 

Yes we did, not a huge amount, and we had to pay a small amount onward to Colchester too.

We barely saw Sammy but in the few occasions I saw KP there was obviously a player there. Whether or not you can get a tune out of him and/or build a team around him is another matter. 

Likes a tackle, good in the air... pick a pass.. beat a man...smash one in from 25yrds...... hang on a minute 🤣🤣

I remember that from the 3 Chelsea players we signed, Thomas Kalas was their longest serving player....without hardly playing for them🤠

Edited by Will Rollason