IGNORED

Telegraph Article Liam Manning

Polly

32 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Impossible not to like Manning. Seems like a top guy 

I kinda like some of his little mannerisms, the “right” at the end of statement, stuff like that.

I was chatting to a couple of people the other day, and I use the “genuine” word a bit about him.  I have absolutely no doubt he knows what he’s trying to achieve and his way of playing.  But the Championship is brutal, especially when you don’t have the best players (like Martin at Southampton), so I think it is important that he does stick to his principles, processes etc.  I think he will be able to evaluate better by doing that.

The club wanted to go with this type of coach, ignore the “front foot, blah, blah, blah” stuff blurted out, it’s what Manning brings that’s important rather than fitting a clichéd set of words.  I do think he’ll have been surprised by the Championship a bit though, the nous of guys in the opposite dug-out and how fine the margins really are, especially beneath the top few.

• Like 11

I quite like him, I like his calmness & how he preaches not getting too high/too low etc.  He has the air of someone who is quietly confident.

The fact is though, every good result will see a "hard to dislike him" thread & most poor one's there will be a "robotic coach 1.1" type thread.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, TDarwall said:

The fact is though, every good result will see a "hard to dislike him" thread & most poor one's there will be a "robotic coach 1.1" type thread.

Yup. I personally couldn’t care if he goes home and drowns kittens. I don’t need to like him, I need him to deliver for the football club.

The fact is that had this article been published after we’d been pumped, then people would have picked up on the Army/Saatchi and Saatchi part as being very similar to something LJ once said, and also that having only 9 training sessions (assumedly sessions not based on other teams as opposed to 9 sessions fullstop) is just a function of being appointed mid season - and again speaks to why changing too much too quickly was probably a misstep. The truth as ever is somewhere in the middle - he’s not LJ and he has only had 9 “sessions” but in a loss that would have been viewed as an excuse and not a reason.

I thought he managed that well today with the little tweaks like Knight dropping in and we pressed with purpose as needed. The result was more than merited and with my glass half full that’s four good performances in the last six. I don’t think anyone will be objecting if that hit rate is maintained for the rest of the season and that’s probably the time to decide whether it’s “impossible not to like/dislike him” as opposed to the euphoria of a top notch performance and result at a premier league club.

• Like 4
  • Flames 1

23 minutes ago, TDarwall said:

I quite like him, I like his calmness & how he preaches not getting too high/too low etc.  He has the air of someone who is quietly confident.

Cue the 'Give the man some credit' thread that has just appeared.

Edited by Sir Geoff
edit text

From what I have seen so far ( still very early days ) I think we have a top coach who knows exactly what he wants my issue is do Bristol city currently have the players to carry out his principles / methods / ideas ( not in any way is a slur on the players ) 

• Flames 1

It’s a squad and manager that’s easy to be proud of. And Manning’s high potential as a manager has shone through at times in his early tenure. I think he’ll have a long, successful career. I hope beyond hope his first big success is here, and he’s not one that goes onto big things elsewhere and we’re left saying ‘what if’.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

Yup. I personally couldn’t care if he goes home and drowns kittens. I don’t need to like him, I need him to deliver for the football club.

The fact is that had this article been published after we’d been pumped, then people would have picked up on the Army/Saatchi and Saatchi part as being very similar to something LJ once said, and also that having only 9 training sessions (assumedly sessions not based on other teams as opposed to 9 sessions fullstop) is just a function of being appointed mid season - and again speaks to why changing too much too quickly was probably a misstep. The truth as ever is somewhere in the middle - he’s not LJ and he has only had 9 “sessions” but in a loss that would have been viewed as an excuse and not a reason.

I thought he managed that well today with the little tweaks like Knight dropping in and we pressed with purpose as needed. The result was more than merited and with my glass half full that’s four good performances in the last six. I don’t think anyone will be objecting if that hit rate is maintained for the rest of the season and that’s probably the time to decide whether it’s “impossible not to like/dislike him” as opposed to the euphoria of a top notch performance and result at a premier league club.

I definitely would care if he went home and drowned kittens. 

• Thanks 1

I like the perspective given on how young our team is.

We had 5 players 22 and under in the team yesterday and they are regulars in the league. All with decent experience already.

Even the other players are a few years from touching 30.

5 of these players are home grown from our academy.

I think alot of this is missed with the over negativity after a loss or the hysteria after a win. If I was a fan from another team looking in I'd think we are doing something right.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Port Said Red said:

9 full training sessions puts a bit of perspective on suggestions that he has been here long enough to make real changes.

I would have thought he would have led many more than 9 in a 60 day period

12 hours ago, redkev said:

From what I have seen so far ( still very early days ) I think we have a top coach who knows exactly what he wants my issue is do Bristol city currently have the players to carry out his principles / methods / ideas ( not in any way is a slur on the players ) 

Well that's what Manning will be assessing now. The ones that he can get to carry out his principles will stay, the ones he can mould/coach into it will get time to and the ones that refuse or simply can't/are really not able to will be sold and replaced with players from the first two categories.

12 minutes ago, BigTone said:

I would have thought he would have led many more than 9 in a 60 day period

I suppose it depends what the definition of a "full session" is, does he mean full scale matches with all players present? There is a lot of other work shown on the Uncut videos, on specifics which would eat into the time available.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I suppose it depends what the definition of a "full session" is, does he mean full scale matches with all players present? There is a lot of other work shown on the Uncut videos, on specifics which would eat into the time available.

Was gonna post the same.  Depends what he means by full sessions and the purpose / focus, because we know he’s had lots of “other” sessions.  In pre-season when you take out fitness work, friendlies, rest, etc, how many full sessions do you get then?  I think it’s one of those things that makes us say “omg, no wonder it’s gonna take time”, but the reality is probably a bit different for the players.

He's the second young coach we've had, who's been quoted on something that concerns him.

Quote...

'Of his wider outlook, Manning says a “sense of entitlement” in society is one of his biggest concerns.'

Man managing young players who have this attitude seems a problem, not just in football, but in all careers..

I've had it recently with youngsters in the work place, and others I know who are friends in managerial roles, have similar experiences they speak about. 

It seems a more common theme. And some of them aren't that ' young'. 

3 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

I didn’t enjoy his reference to the military. Brought back dark memories of coaches of yesteryear. 

Imagine how good Manning will be once he's found the time to visit a few 5star Michelin restaurants! 

When's his birthday, perhaps we can club together and buy him a grass-measuring stick?  

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Imagine how good Manning will be once he's found the time to visit a few 5star Michelin restaurants! 

When's his birthday, perhaps we can club together and buy him a grass-measuring stick?  

We can sign that French player Soufflé then

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Finding his habit of being front and centre after a good result and sneaking off down the tunnel after a bad result very irritating.

Feel the comparisons with Lee Johnson are on the whole very unfair, but I’m afraid this behaviour is very Lee Johnson.

Of course it’s ultimately completely irrelevant in regards to how good a football manager he is, but it’s still irritating nonetheless.

Edited by bearded_red
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I kinda like some of his little mannerisms, the “right” at the end of statement, stuff like that.

I was chatting to a couple of people the other day, and I use the “genuine” word a bit about him.  I have absolutely no doubt he knows what he’s trying to achieve and his way of playing.  But the Championship is brutal, especially when you don’t have the best players (like Martin at Southampton), so I think it is important that he does stick to his principles, processes etc.  I think he will be able to evaluate better by doing that.

The club wanted to go with this type of coach, ignore the “front foot, blah, blah, blah” stuff blurted out, it’s what Manning brings that’s important rather than fitting a clichéd set of words.  I do think he’ll have been surprised by the Championship a bit though, the nous of guys in the opposite dug-out and how fine the margins really are, especially beneath the top few.

Exactly. He's not paid to be a fascinating orator. 

With football, the proof is in the pudding: you either get results or you don't.  Plenty talk the talk; not all walk the walk.

Manning seems as aware as us fans that he is trying to get points on the board with a sparse squad and no absolutely outstanding talents - don't get me wrong, we've good players, but no more Alex Scotts

He seems quite feet-on-the-ground and sensible , and wedded to the Pearson continuity of getting an identifiable style of play; building a team rather than just coaching individuals. A team can be much more than the sum of its parts. 

Still too early for me to fully assess his impact, but I like a lot of what I see - and read. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bearded_red said:

Finding his habit of being front and centre after a good result and sneaking off down the tunnel after a bad result very irritating.

Feel the comparisons with Lee Johnson are on the whole very unfair, but I’m afraid this behaviour is very Lee Johnson.

Of course it’s ultimately completely irrelevant in regards to how good a football manager he is, but it’s still irritating nonetheless.

Tbf to him he came out into the middle and applauded supporters after the Millwall performance.  That’s good enough for me.   If you’re going to come out after a win you have to do it every single match, regardless of the result.  

• Like 5

1 minute ago, lenred said:

Tbf to him he came out into the middle and applauded supporters after the Millwall performance.  That’s good enough for me.   If you’re going to come out after a win you have to do it every single match, regardless of the result.  

Ah okay, fair enough, I didn’t see that so maybe I’m being unfair, certainly after other defeats (I think Norwich was the game I particularly noticed it) he’s gone straight down the tunnel.

Just now, bearded_red said:

Ah okay, fair enough, I didn’t see that so maybe I’m being unfair, certainly after other defeats (I think Norwich was the game I particularly noticed it) he’s gone straight down the tunnel.

Yeah you’re right he did.   Just needs to keep it up now!  It’s one of my bugbears - petty maybe but so be it 😂

2 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

Exactly. He's not paid to be a fascinating orator. 

With football, the proof is in the pudding: you either get results or you don't.  Plenty talk the talk; not all walk the walk.

Manning seems as aware as us fans that he is trying to get points on the board with a sparse squad and no absolutely outstanding talents - don't get me wrong, we've good players, but no more Alex Scotts

He seems quite feet-on-the-ground and sensible , and wedded to the Pearson continuity of getting an identifiable style of play; building a team rather than just coaching individuals. A team can be much more than the sum of its parts. 

Still too early for me to fully assess his impact, but I like a lot of what I see - and read. 

Yeah, that’s a good way of describing him and the other bold bits too.

I think (at this early stage) he rotates better than Nige.