IGNORED

Max O’Leary

2 minutes ago, Charlie BCFC said:

Could argue that he was partially at fault for the Bowen goal but he also made two excellent saves from Bowen and Ward-Prowse to keep us into the game allowing us to grab the leveller. Great reaction from Max and the team today after that early set back

Pretty much where i am with him today 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Charlie BCFC said:

Could argue that he was partially at fault for the Bowen goal but he also made two excellent saves from Bowen and Ward-Prowse to keep us into the game allowing us to grab the leveller. Great reaction from Max and the team today after that early set back

I'm not sure what more he could have reasonably done without risking a penalty against/possible sending off (not sure if it applies to goalies). Bowen's movement for the goal was near perfect. I'd give the MOM to about 5 players if I could, Max included.

• Like 8

Max has fantastic reflexes, he sweeps as well as any premiership keeper and will come for a ball when the majority of keepers would “stay at home”.  He still flaps at inswinging corners when put under pressure by attacking players. and his is body shape aganst long rang dipping shots looks awkward.

He’s a work in progress, but Imho, the positives outweigh the negatives and he deserves the patience both Pearson and Manning have, and are, showing in him.

• Like 9

22 minutes ago, Sleepy1968 said:

I'm not sure what more he could have reasonably done without risking a penalty against/possible sending off (not sure if it applies to goalies). Bowen's movement for the goal was near perfect. I'd give the MOM to about 5 players if I could, Max included.

Could of made himself big instead looked to clam up and shrink , however didn’ knock him at all and was great after, didn’t think he was getting to that sliding tackle also but did 👍

35 minutes ago, Charlie BCFC said:

I’ve never had a problem  with max as a shot stopper (it’s his job) it’s commanding his area which we did have with Nikki mypaa ( spelling ) that I worry about . Although he’s much better at that now & calm . Let’s be honest . If you’ve got  a great shot stopper , commands his area & he’s very good with his feet then his name is Allison or Edison . He’s not playing for us . 

• Like 1

Thought maybe his starting position for their goal was a little bit too far back given where the ball was when passed - could have been a yard further forward without a long range shot being plausible? But probably nit picking. My only problem with Max isn’t with Max - would he develop more quickly with more competition for his place and would that also protect us against Max getting injured? Don’t think it would have to break the bank either. Both NP and LM seem fine with Bajic and maybe he’ll be fine, but a tad more experience would be nice. 

53 minutes ago, Charlie BCFC said:

I would laugh if anyone argues that OLeary had any blame for their goal. 

If anyone wants to apportion blame (I don’t fyi) for that who should have been covering the runner?

Max had an excellent game and did his RoI chances no harm with some excellent stops!

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, 77 punk said:

he also stopped an own goal from pring

Yep. In fairness to Pring tho, I think he had to get something on that, or the Wham player behind him taps it into a near enough empty goal. 

33 minutes ago, E.G.Red said:

I'd argue it was not Max but a Defensive error 'Ball watching' at fault for the goal

I think blaming our defence for their goal is pretty harsh. It was just a piece of play, the quality of which, we are not used to playing against in the Championship. Paqueta and Bowen are high class operators in a team currently sixth in the Prem. 

Smart from them to try it early in the game and catch us a little cold. 

• Like 6

Really don’t understand why he gets criticised.

There isn’t a goalie without their flaws.

The best ones who make the least errors play for the best clubs in the world. 

Max is very good and comes across as very focused, competent and professional. 

Many goalies over the years have been much worse and Max is easily one of the best in the last decade or so. Niki Maenpaa Would be the other one up there and he had nearly 10 years on O’Leary in terms of experience.

I fully expect Max to maintain this level or higher for the bulk of his career.

• Like 16

3 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Max’s shop stopping has never been in question. Today he showed that again and his saves in the first half from Pring, Fornals, and JWP were as good/valuable as Conway’s equaliser.

He’s better than I thought if he has control of stopping shops!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, E.G.Red said:

I'd argue it was not Max but a Defensive error 'Ball watching' at fault for the goal

That’s why I said partially, Bowen ran off quite easily I thought. You could argue he was caught in no man’s land but he did round Max quite well (thought Bowen was excellent today) but I didn’t think there was any tracking of his run

1 hour ago, steviestevieneville said:

I’ve never had a problem  with max as a shot stopper (it’s his job) it’s commanding his area which we did have with Nikki mypaa ( spelling ) that I worry about . Although he’s much better at that now & calm . Let’s be honest . If you’ve got  a great shot stopper , commands his area & he’s very good with his feet then his name is Allison or Edison . He’s not playing for us . 

Personally think he’s quite good at commanding his area. Does a lot of high claims and our record from set pieces has got a lot better since he’s come in to the team

IMO Max could do better for the goal , but it would/could have been a risky challenge early on. I think he could have been a little more physical but that is being very critical.
I was more disappointed that their main goal threat was allowed to drift through our back line with no one tracking the run. 
It was a good ball, it was a decent run but just one midfielder or defender tracking that run and there's no goal.
He did it almost all game wandered around finding pockets of space, he's good at it. When he's wide that's fine , but to be able to wander through our back line like that was poor. They managed similar a few things until we stepped it up a bit . As I said I'm being very critical , but I think generally we are better than that. 

2 hours ago, Charlie BCFC said:

Jesus in which reality is Max at fault for 3 defenders ball watching and letting an England international through on a 1 on 1?  

It's embarrassing it really is.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, The Bard said:

Jesus in which reality is Max at fault for 3 defenders ball watching and letting an England international through on a 1 on 1?  

It's embarrassing it really is.

To be fair the bloke said “partially”, and I agree. Too slow off his line, and didn’t make himself big enough to cause Bowen any concerns. 

• Like 1

Just now, Selred said:

To be fair the bloke said “partially”, and I agree. Too slow off his line, and didn’t make himself big enough to cause Bowen any concerns. 

Et tu Selred?

No one has said double FA about the defenders ball watching.  Apparently that's because Bowen is class.  But heaven forbid the goalkeeper not immediately reading his defence's specific mistake and rectifying it.