IGNORED

Max O’Leary

2 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

Goal keepers are signed all the time by every club that don’t have that complete skill set. 

A can you catch

B can you stop shots

OK you have the basics of keeping goal  

The rest of it is coached to fit with the team unless goalkeepers enter the earth with a fully complete skill set. Perhaps they do. I’ve only been in goal for five a side. 

The basics of being a goalkeeper require a very strong mindset.

4 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

That is the truth. I often think that is something you are born with. 

Courage of your own convictions is a must for a keeper!

One of the items in @Cowshed’s list around resilience after making a mistake is so key. If you had to prioritise that list it would be right at the top end. The world is full of talented goalkeepers who destroy themselves when they make a bad mistake. Not only that but add in the fact that a large number of managers are completely ******* clueless about goalkeeping (that is no joke either) and have a propensity to overly criticise despite their ignorance, which you have to manage as a goalkeeper along with your goalkeeping coach, and it’s easy for a very “talented” keeper without the mental strength to fall by the wayside.

The worst coaches are your Gary Neville types who tell anyone and everyone that listens how much they know about goalkeeping and actually know next to **** all in reality. Weapons grade arseholes!!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Went for legs imho.

Williams and TGH in CM was a good choice imho.

I do wonder if it’s a “changing of the guard” / sliding doors moment for Matty James?

I thought it might also have been a out giving them the experience of the ground and occasion.  The 4 experienced players have all done that already

37 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

One of the items in @Cowshed’s list around resilience after making a mistake is so key. If you had to prioritise that list it would be right at the top end. The world is full of talented goalkeepers who destroy themselves when they make a bad mistake. Not only that but add in the fact that a large number of managers are completely ******* clueless about goalkeeping (that is no joke either) and have a propensity to overly criticise despite their ignorance, which you have to manage as a goalkeeper along with your goalkeeping coach, and it’s easy for a very “talented” keeper without the mental strength to fall by the wayside.

The worst coaches are your Gary Neville types who tell anyone and everyone that listens how much they know about goalkeeping and actually know next to **** all in reality. Weapons grade arseholes!!

You may already know this, but its simply in order of the four corned model that starts in a non alphabetical order from T for Technical and tactical, and P for physical, psychological.  The specific why is it in that order beyond its following the FA? No idea. 

58 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

Goal keepers are signed all the time by every club that don’t have that complete skill set. 

A can you catch

B can you stop shots

OK you have the basics of keeping goal  

The rest of it is coached to fit with the team unless goalkeepers enter the earth with a fully complete skill set. Perhaps they do. I’ve only been in goal for five a side. 

I suppose chicks do know the words of “I will survive” on day one so it could be possible!

Goal keepers are not signed all the time if they don't possess primary skills. If a keeper does not possess the listed technical distribution skills that club will not look at the player, let alone sign them. Its a must HAVE skill, not a skill set to create. 

Academy players frequently are signed on the basis of TIPS and TAPS. The acronyms are really the same for tactical, technical, athleticism, intelligence, physical, psychological, skill etc.

If a keeper doesn't have the skills to play the ball with multiple surfaces, and possess a range of passes at a certain age many academies wont be interested in the player. 

Edited by Cowshed

1 hour ago, Numero Uno said:

Almost every one of those is required for a keeper that signs for a “route 1” team. The distribution will be “different” but still required to suit the team style of play. Interventions only become irrelevant if the team defends deep. Domination depends on your defensive make-up (Frank wasn’t dominant but didn’t need to be with Flint heading everything in front of him). The rest are basics in any event.

Missed this post. The distribution will be significantly differing to route one. If the keeper cant sweep, they cant play in the unit in and out of possession, and the team can't play. 

If your team is pushing up high, and as good a competent pro Fielding was he didn't not possess that dominant skill set to sweep outside the box, or join in resetting possession and being an outfield option.

Confident and dominant are also psychological qualities in possession. 

31 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

Missed this post. The distribution will be significantly differing to route one. If the keeper cant sweep, they cant play in the unit in and out of possession, and the team can't play. 

If your team is pushing up high, and as good a competent pro Fielding was he didn't not possess that dominant skill set to sweep outside the box, or join in resetting possession and being an outfield option.

Confident and dominant are also psychological qualities in possession. 

As amply demonstrated against Wolves.

8 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Went for legs imho.

Williams and TGH in CM was a good choice imho.

I do wonder if it’s a “changing of the guard” / sliding doors moment for Matty James?

I think that door has started to slide. James is getting less time now Manning is here. Likewise, for Weimann.

I was really worried when the subs were made as it took any pace out, and replaced it with ,well, not pace.

WHU started to come back into it after our subs although that might be a coincidence as they were always going to step up in the last 15 mins.

Kept us in the game with some fantastic saves! The goal certainly wasn’t his fault either, good forward play by Bowen and understandably didn’t want to bring him down and give away an early penalty. I’ve always liked Max but I think we’re really starting to see the best version of him, his reflexes are great.  

• Like 1