IGNORED

The goal…

So much to admire about it but one slight detail impressed me more than anything. Not sure if it’s been mentioned, can’t be bothered to read through everything!

The knocked down by Knight was clever, the ball from Williams was quality (would be shown repeatedly if Messi had produced it) and the finish outstanding.

But the most impressive thing for me was Conway’s first touch. I can’t stop watching it. Williams brilliant pass was pinged to Conway. Conway’s touch at that point was from the heavens! Again, if it was Messi you’d never hear the end of it. I’m not sure if Conway could take a touch like that again in his whole career.

Even watching it again now sends a chill down my spine! What a moment and what a goal it was. Four brilliant touches between Knight, Williams and Conway, but Conway’s first touch was the one for me.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 6

6 hours ago, Lrrr said:

Can anyone explain Zouma’s thought process dropping deeper than the rest of the defensive line…

Nope. Glad he did! The fella waving for off side was hilarious. 

Are we top of the Conference this morning?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, formerly known as ivan said:

So much to admire about it but one slight detail impressed me more than anything. Not sure if it’s been mentioned, can’t be bothered to read through everything!

The knocked down by Knight was clever, the ball from Williams was quality (would be shown repeatedly if Messi had produced it) and the finish outstanding.

But the most impressive thing for me was Conway’s first touch. I can’t stop watching it. Williams brilliant pass was pinged to Conway. Conway’s touch at that point was from the heavens! Again, if it was Messi you’d never hear the end of it. I’m not sure if Conway could take a touch like that again in his whole career.

Even watching it again now sends a chill down my spine! What a moment and what a goal it was. Four brilliant touches between Knight, Williams and Conway, but Conway’s first touch was the one for me.

Really good point about the 4 quality touches.  We’ve had lots of other chances in recent matches where we’ve tried some quick 1 touch moves and if not for 1 heavy pass we would have been in.  I’m just pleased we’re trying stuff like this.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, The Journalist said:

Conway’s touch turned an overhit pass into a perfect pass.

And he’s the best striker of a ball we’ve had since Maynard IMO.

Harsh imo

9 hours ago, Fpcity said:

I thought he miss controlled it at first 

I think he just had to take some pace off of the ball .

Williams ball was threaded through about 5 players and needed to be firm, great touch by TC just to take the pace off but as others have said. That time from TC's touch to the ball hitting the next seemed a lot longer yesterday, than on the videos .

I have noticed a lot more of the passing is much firmer now, seems a definite intension . Means touch has to be good, but also means less chance of balls being cut out.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Super said:

I think a lot of keepers would have come out and got that or at least challenged Tommy.

Hilarious isn't it? Hardly a mention of the opposition's proven, international, keeper being slow off his line but our keeper gets criticised by the goalkeeping experts on here

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

I have noticed a lot more of the passing is much firmer now, seems a definite intension . Means touch has to be good, but also means less chance of balls being cut out.

Yeah I was thinking the same, thought it was just me not noticing before! 

10 hours ago, Fpcity said:

I thought he miss controlled it at first 

Thank you: I thought the same! And watching it again I’m still not convinced it was exactly what he intended! It just goes marginally further away from him and marginally wider than you’d have expected. But, in the event, I think that was what left the keeper in two minds. 
Fabulous strike though! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Super said:

I think a lot of keepers would have come out and got that or at least challenged Tommy.

I did think just that watching MOTD last night, by not closing down the angles he gave a decent target to aim for, both sides.

All with the benefit of hindsight I guess. I have seen a few goals lately on TV where headers have gone in from the 6 yard line, always thought that should be the keepers.

Max rose his luck a bit with some saves but that trailing left hand save was excellent.

That age old lesson learned by West Ham (and definitely Arsenal) yesterday was you have to take your chances or the game will come back to bite you.

7 minutes ago, Open End Numb Legs said:

I did think just that watching MOTD last night, by not closing down the angles he gave a decent target to aim for, both sides.

All with the benefit of hindsight I guess. I have seen a few goals lately on TV where headers have gone in from the 6 yard line, always thought that should be the keepers.

Max rose his luck a bit with some saves but that trailing left hand save was excellent.

That age old lesson learned by West Ham (and definitely Arsenal) yesterday was you have to take your chances or the game will come back to bite you.

That last paragraph was the best bit about it for me. We’d said literally two minutes earlier that we had had a really good spell and needed to make that count - and we did. 

12 minutes ago, spudski said:

It was a fine passage of play, but it wouldn't have happened if Dickie hadn't won a great header to set it all up. Worth also mentioning I think 👍

Personally, I put it all down to the superb kick off we took for that half.🤣

Seriously, it was a good header, and we won a lot in the air yesterday, I thought.

I think the WHU fans are putting it all down to back passes aren’t they?! 

1 minute ago, italian dave said:

Personally, I put it all down to the superb kick off we took for that half.🤣

Seriously, it was a good header, and we won a lot in the air yesterday, I thought.

I think the WHU fans are putting it all down to back passes aren’t they?! 

Or as they are calling it...' Moyes ball' 😊

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, The Bard said:

Hilarious isn't it? Hardly a mention of the opposition's proven, international, keeper being slow off his line but our keeper gets criticised by the goalkeeping experts on here

Agreed. If Fabianski, Zouma, Ogbonna start in the replay, we will give them another bloody good game, that's for sure.

I know a few West Ham fans. Us outsiders see a club that has exceeded expectations, but they seem to want to compare themselves to the likes of Spurs and Arsenal.

It's all relative I guess. The back passing thing is something that a lot of supporters moan about including me. I understand the principle of creating space by drawing teams on, but it becomes a habit, an easy pass rather than a tactic. 

3 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

Harsh imo

I think he just had to take some pace off of the ball .

Williams ball was threaded through about 5 players and needed to be firm, great touch by TC just to take the pace off but as others have said. That time from TC's touch to the ball hitting the next seemed a lot longer yesterday, than on the videos .

Having rewatched it a load of times this morning - agreed, I was a bit harsh. He has to drill it like he does to get it through, it just asks a lot of Conway and his touch was perfect.

Still, I stick by the thing about Conway’s likeness to Maynard - he’s one of the best ‘shooters’ we’ve had in my time watching City.

And I specifically say ‘shooter’ rather than ‘finisher’ because being able to convert crosses/score from close range/finish with one touch is a different skill which, say, Abraham was brilliant at… but I don’t think he struck a ball as cleanly as Conway. I know what I mean even if nobody else does!

• Like 2

Watched few vids from the game this morning and on one of them the commentator went well overboard on the "Premiership quality" of their goal from the excellent build up to the finish.  Didn't say too much about Conways goal though or the excellent build up.

I think it was the BBC round up on youtube.

Par for the course - but where do they get these blokes from ?

35 minutes ago, The Journalist said:

Having rewatched it a load of times this morning - agreed, I was a bit harsh. He has to drill it like he does to get it through, it just asks a lot of Conway and his touch was perfect.

Still, I stick by the thing about Conway’s likeness to Maynard - he’s one of the best ‘shooters’ we’ve had in my time watching City.

And I specifically say ‘shooter’ rather than ‘finisher’ because being able to convert crosses/score from close range/finish with one touch is a different skill which, say, Abraham was brilliant at… but I don’t think he struck a ball as cleanly as Conway. I know what I mean even if nobody else does!

I know what you mean.
There are all sorts of strikers, they score different goals. TC has had a tough time and looked poor, he isn't poor though , give him service and he'll score .  Knight dropping / squeezing the MF seemed to give TC room to make runs and hang on the last man. Shame the last man for his 2nd "goal" was the keeper. 
I think that will do him good, looked like he's getting back to his old self that was a confident finish after missing a couple of tricky 1 v 1's in his first few games back.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1