IGNORED

Preston North End away match thread

2 minutes ago, Glen hump said:

I work all over the country, other fans see us as a bit of a nothing club, I can sort of see there point of view if you try and look at it from the outside, we never really threaten to do anything, we just sort of go round in circles 

👍🏿 

37 minutes ago, Curr Avon said:

Yes, I shop at Specsavers.

We need a striker that can play with his back to goal and an attacking midfielder, and our fortunes may change.

We haven't looked a poor side, just one that keeps missing chances when on top.

You make it sound so simple.  Chris Martin can play with his back to goal.

We need more than one dimensional types.

• Like 5

Interesting, and a bit of a worry, LM said post match that their changes “weren’t exactly big ones, they didn’t become more free flowing, they just went more direct”. It’s not about making changes to look prettier on the pitch mate, it’s about making changes that win you the game. 

• Like 9
8 minutes ago, Supersonic Robin said:

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one then mate.

Think that's a very unfair review, especially the idea that he can't cross the ball. I'm sure you'd be in a very small minority in thinking that Yeboah offers more than Mehmeti too.

For me, Mehmeti offers more than many of our other wide options - most notably Bell & Cornick. He has a lot to improve on, but also clear ability and potential - I'd definitely stick with him.

My view is only based on what I’ve seen of him, and as  Ive only missed about 2 or 3 games this year, I think is a reasonable amount of time for a fair reflection. in fairness I could be wrong about his crossing of the ball, he’s normally tackled or crowded out by the time we do the obligatory step over and cut inside… Might as well have 9 outfield players on the pitch with him at times. Worth a relatively cheap punt based on Championship fees, but not good enough in this team.

I didn’t say that Yeboah offers more, he offers something different.

We could do with a half decent wide player brought in on both sides of the pitch.

Just now, petehinton said:

Interesting, and a bit of a worry, LM said post match that their changes “weren’t exactly big ones, they didn’t become more free flowing, they just went more direct”. It’s not about making changes to look prettier on the pitch mate, it’s about making changes that win you the game. 

Was that in the club interview?  I’ve only listened to bbc interview.

Lowe realised they weren’t as good as playing football on that pitch as us, so bunged Riis and Keane on (Osmajic ineffective) with Frokjaer floating around, and played for bits and pieces…which gained them territory, if not control.

1 minute ago, Curr Avon said:

Appreciate that Dave. I was thinking more Semenyo than Martin.

Semenyo isn’t a back to goal striker either.

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Lowe realised they weren’t as good as playing football on that pitch as us, so bunged Riis and Keane on (Osmajic ineffective) with Frokjaer floating around, and played for bits and pieces…which gained them territory, if not control.

Can I just clutch some straws, please?

1 hour ago, Frenchay Red said:

Celebrating a rare win

I understand that. But sing, shout, clap, jump around. Not sit in silence after the initial celebrations and whip your phone out and wave a light around. It was quite a moment to witness at a match.

• Haha 1
9 minutes ago, petehinton said:

In which case shouldn't it have been easy to counter them?

9 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Blimey he said that ?

As you say its not a beauty contest which is just as well because we were pug ugly second half.

1 hour ago, cidercity1987 said:

Sadly predictable Rob

This team has no tools to break down defensive teams thanks to Lansdown and Tinnion

I agree - it's blatantly lacking.

Without Sykes we have no threat atall - with Sykes, we still need 2 more effective attacking players. 

• Like 1

The main aim must now be to remain in the Championship. We have just enough players capable at this level to make that possible, but not if the new head coach sets up to play a way that doesn’t suit the players available. We have become completely toothless up front but that’s largely because of his formation and tactics. That the owners made a decision just a quarter of the way through the season to inflict this on the club is just another indication that they don’t know what they are doing. At present Manning is also only demonstrating that he is out of his depth at this level, and that  a good coach for under 21s or in League 1, does not mean that you can cut it at a higher level. 

• Like 4
  • Hmmm 2
28 minutes ago, Glen hump said:

I work all over the country, other fans see us as a bit of a nothing club, I can sort of see there point of view if you try and look at it from the outside, we never really threaten to do anything, we just sort of go round in circles 

Oh for a relegation battle to spice up the run in.

If we finish mid table for a couple more seasons it might be something to look forward to. 

28 minutes ago, petehinton said:

If LM really thinks that, it's a major worry. Yes they went more direct, but instantly seemed energized by the changes and we become very much 2nd best, after largely being in control 1st half. LMs failure to react with subs for us to counter their changes, cost us the game.

• Like 1

Just back from Deepdale. Standard stuff. First half neat organised, only very occasionally threatening, but Preston’s only threat came from our sloppiness. Second half, well, still waiting for us to start playing it. Williams tried, Dickie was steady, nice to see McCrorie at last. Everything else, well, best forgotten. Too many worried about getting injured for Tuesday I think, don’t remember a 50/50 we won second half. 

• Like 2
33 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Interesting indeed.

Part of what he talked about when he first arrived was going long - over the opposition's press - if we were struggling to pass, pass, pass our way up the pitch.

Yet when the opposition do it to us...

42 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

He said it in bbc interview, after Ed asked him about their subs

33 minutes ago, Glen hump said:

Supporting this club is so frustrating, so many lows and so few highs in my 40 years of watching.  Destined to remain a footballing backwater.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1