IGNORED

Not being horrible, but .......

I do tend to agree.

However; should we find out a bit later, or after the game had finished, that the poor soul had passed, then I would personally feel a sense of guilt. Having seen the game continue, while we cheer / curse / sing  at a football game, while a fellow fan (ours / opposition) loses their life would seem somewhat callous.

15 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

I don't understand how a game  (Bolton, in this case) can be abandoned because someone is taken ill ? In acrow of 20k the chances are someone is going to be "not very well". It just seems a bit 

OTT and Nanny state these days. Of course nobody wants the guy to be ill, but stuff happens.   I'v had the misfortune over the years to see a couple of people die in the ground nearish to me. Yes, it's not nice, but it just seems over reactionary to abandon the game because someone is taken out , perhaps it's just me, but it never used to happen .

Totally agree . There’s stewards there to imform the paramedics . Why is the game stopped. 
I can remember years ago as a kid being stood in the east end . There was the obligatory marching band walking up & down the pitch . One of them collapsed & died. He got stretchered off , the players came out & played.
obviously it’s sad if someone died at the game at Bolton but , life goes on . Apologies if I come across as insensitive  

• Like 2
  • Flames 2

3 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Totally agree . There’s stewards there to imform the paramedics . Why is the game stopped. 
I can remember years ago as a kid being stood in the east end . There was the obligatory marching band walking up & down the pitch . One of them collapsed & died. He got stretchered off , the players came out & played.
obviously it’s sad if someone died at the game at Bolton but , life goes on . Apologies if I come across as insensitive  

I was going to mention that incident. If that weee to happen today, that game wouldn’t start let alone finish.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

I don't understand how a game  (Bolton, in this case) can be abandoned because someone is taken ill ? In acrow of 20k the chances are someone is going to be "not very well". It just seems a bit 

OTT and Nanny state these days. Of course nobody wants the guy to be ill, but stuff happens.   I'v had the misfortune over the years to see a couple of people die in the ground nearish to me. Yes, it's not nice, but it just seems over reactionary to abandon the game because someone is taken out , perhaps it's just me, but it never used to happen .

Was mentioned a bit in the MDT. 

I agree with you, but the game should only restart if the person has been treated and in medical care. Of course the referee is right to stop the game so that person gets the assistance they need as quickly as possible.

But the game should carry on.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Home game v Nottingham Forest for the return leg of the 1988/89 League Cup. It was surreal. The band kept marching while the poor guy was lead on the pitch.

7 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

Was mentioned a bit in the MDT. 

I agree with you, but the game should only restart if the person has been treated and in medical care. Of course the referee is right to stop the game so that person gets the assistance they need as quickly as possible.

But the game should carry on.

Yes, it's ironic it happened at Bolton, the scene of one of the biggest tradgedys in football history, scores of dead and the game continued ! Now, THAT was unbelievable !

• Like 2

It’s probably dealt with on a case by case basis, how much attention from the paramedics in attendance do they need etc. I was at a game earlier this season where there was a medical emergency at the start of half time, the second half was delayed by a good 25 minutes, todays game seemed to have a similar time after players taken off the pitch before announcement of the abandonment 

41 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

If someone is taken out at a game then probably best to make a quick exit 

5 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

It’s probably dealt with on a case by case basis, how much attention from the paramedics in attendance do they need etc. I was at a game earlier this season where there was a medical emergency at the start of half time, the second half was delayed by a good 25 minutes, todays game seemed to have a similar time after players taken off the pitch before announcement of the abandonment 

I believe Leyton Orient v Lincoln was abandoned in the Autumn?

My suspicion is safety concerns was the overriding factor v Swansea but EFL guidance states matches shouldn't halt, as of summer 2022.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I believe Leyton Orient v Lincoln was abandoned in the Autumn?

It was and that fan passed away which is why I believe it comes down to how serious the paramedics say the health issue is, regardless of EFL guidance. 

It's a tough call either way. Much like the police closing a road if they think the injured could possibly die they close the road to collect evidence. I am guessing the person today was so ill they may not have survived. The announcement would be delayed until the next of kin have been contacted.

I don't think there is an answer to this, each case will be different and the rights and wrongs will be judged with the benefit of hindsight, a wonderful thing.

39 minutes ago, Frenchay Red said:

Home game v Nottingham Forest for the return leg of the 1988/89 League Cup. It was surreal. The band kept marching while the poor guy was lead on the pitch.

I remember that as clear as day. It was some Scottish marching band. It had been raining heavily and as they matched one of them appeared to slip. As he was in full Scots dress, kilt etc the whole crowd gave a ,,,'whoa hey' type laugh and it was only when he led on the floor and his fellow marchers stepped over him we realised all wasn't good. Think we had a collection and everything for him at the next match 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

31 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

It was and that fan passed away which is why I believe it comes down to how serious the paramedics say the health issue is, regardless of EFL guidance. 

Yes, thanks..was his passing known in real time though? Clearly highly serious.

I suspect a joint decision between Safety Officer and ref, weighing up safety, Proportionality etc.

3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Yes, thanks..was his passing known in real time though? Clearly highly serious.

I suspect a joint decision between Safety Officer and ref, weighing up safety, Proportionality etc.

I'm not sure if it was in ground or en route to hospital or in hospital but its the point that there's a level of seriousness about the situation regardless of EFL guidance. What happens if they continue the game while tending to the crowd incident and something like a Lockyer situation happens on the pitch? I get each club has a doctor whose usually pitch side as well its better to avoid the risk. 

• Flames 1

1 hour ago, slartibartfast said:

I think the reason may be that if a person is getting some life saving attention and a team scores, there is bedlam around that person which could affect getting the person moved when time could be of the essence. 

I'm not sure that abandonment is appropriate if said person is on the way to hospital, but it just may be an act of respect for the person and those that witnessed the event ?

Edited by bcfc01
  • Like 2

• Admin

I'm sure if any of us witnessed someone getting CPR and all the treatment that goes with trying to save a life we'd all be pretty traumatised. 

The amount of medical paraphernalia that would be all around where they would have been working would need sorting. 

For those asking why now, it's because the protocol of dealing with a category one incident requires immediate medical support, saving the life of someone is much more important than a football match. 

The impact on those surrounding the incident would have been very unpleasant 

I just hope nobody on here has to witness someone trying to be resuscitated as it's a very upsetting and traumatic thing to witness 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Flames 4

Many years ago, my wife and I were on holiday in north Italy. She wanted to go to the opera in Verona, an open air Coliseum place. Not my type of thing but hey, when in Rome, or in this case, when in Verona.

Anyway, heading into town by taxi it was still 36degC in early evening, this was July.

Whilst queueing to go in I noticed a long line of ambulances parked up, thought it a bit strange.

Inside, it was roasting despite being open air. The posh guests were in posh gear, men in suits, some attending as part of corporate hostility. Basically all day the sun had cooked the stone that made up the Coliseum and that heat was still radiating under the seats.

As the show went on, a steady number of guests were passing out and were rescued from the audience by ambulance crews with stretchers who, judging by the number parked outside knew exactly what was going to happen. The show went on, 10 mins later someone else would pass out and so it continued.

It was a bizarre experience and I sometimes wonder if they just fainted or if some had something a lot more serious.

Anyway, I hope what happened today has a good outcome and you all stay well through the season.

I would recommend attending a 1st aid course if you are thinking how you would cope with such an incident. It might just give you some confidence to help out. I did it through work and it was very good.

Sorry for the long post!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

You are correct but in this day and age you have people protesting about the price of a loaf of bread so we reap what we sow 

• Like 2

I will catch up with all comments on this later. But after today’s game (debacle) I’ve just had a huge family debate where I said EXACTLY the same but was outnumbered… being a sensitive person I still think like you it’s OTT. Whilst it will affect those directly involved the vast majority won’t have a clue what’s happening. Strange world we now live in 🤷‍♂️

Not exactly the same but I had experience of an incident at the National League Football final at Wembley earlier this year. There was a person sat with his mate before the match very near where I was. Suddenly his mate was gesturing to stewards who arrived in numbers, then loads of medical staff, then paramedics. The man had consumed too much alcohol. He was vomiting and totally unresponsive to them trying to wake him. He was a very, very large man in his mid 50's I would guess. He also had no control of other bodily fluids and had to be moved. 

The point I really want to make is that in the middle of a football stand there is very little room for medical teams to assess and work. Lighting isn't great either. At Wembley they did a great job in helping this man. They had to carry him out. They couldn't get a stretcher in the row, he couldn't fit in the chair lift thing  so they physically had to carry him. We all had to be moved to other seats and there was a lot to organise to get him out safely.

So after seeing what the stewards and medics had to deal with that day I have nothing but admiration for them and the difficulties a big crowd in a stadium poses for them.

Edit: The paramedics were all saying it was excess alcohol consumption, I wasn't jumping to conclusions.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Yet wasn't our medical emergency Swansea game last season played on throughout??

Consistency?

And we had a couple too a few seasons back .

Was this very close to the pitch like in the Orient v Lincoln game a few months back ?

Hope the fan is ok obviously.

3 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

Completely agree.

Am sure it happened at AG about 10-15 years, someone had a funny turn, medics looked after them until ambulance came and carted them off to hospital, without any stoppages.

• Thanks 1