IGNORED

Not being horrible, but .......

50 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Perhaps I just have a warped sense of humour, but I couldn’t help noticing the name of Bolton’s stadium.

How awful when a spectator collapsed and themself in a possibly life threatening situation.

Toughsheet Stadium.

How unfortunate.

My sense of humour is also warped but im not sympathetic . I’ve suffered the loss of my parents as have a lot of us . I was especially close to my dad who introduced me to the city in the mid 70’s . It’s a very numbing time & 13 years on I still feel his loss. However , I do try to see the funny side in anything . The reason is , well we’re all going to die so have a laugh while you’re here. Unless your a bloody city fan 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Frenchay Red said:

Home game v Nottingham Forest for the return leg of the 1988/89 League Cup. It was surreal. The band kept marching while the poor guy was lead on the pitch.

It was right in front of me. His daughter was in the band- she knelt down beside him as the rest of the band kept marching up and down. Completely horrific in retrospect but at the time it didn’t seem so. Terribly sad, obviously, but it just seemed like an incident to be overcome. Certainly no suggestion that the match be abandoned. Surprised it was as late as 1988 incidentally- I thought it was during our Div 1 period. 

4 hours ago, phantom said:

I'm sure if any of us witnessed someone getting CPR and all the treatment that goes with trying to save a life we'd all be pretty traumatised. 

The amount of medical paraphernalia that would be all around where they would have been working would need sorting. 

For those asking why now, it's because the protocol of dealing with a category one incident requires immediate medical support, saving the life of someone is much more important than a football match. 

The impact on those surrounding the incident would have been very unpleasant 

I just hope nobody on here has to witness someone trying to be resuscitated as it's a very upsetting and traumatic thing to witness 

I'm very pleased that we now live in a more compassionate society. However, clearly reading some of these comments on this thread there is still a way to go. Some things are bigger than football. If anyone thinks a football game takes priority over a life then they need to give their heads a wobble and hope that they never end up in that situation at a football match. 

I still have bad dreams 20 years after seeing someone become unwell. Its not a nice thing to see. 

• Like 3
  • Robin 1

• Admin
8 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Life defo far more important than a football match..just trying to unpick why our one played through, or did the guidance change again from the 2022 guidance.

See my comment above, regs have changed 

• Admin
8 hours ago, Lavington Robin said:

I will catch up with all comments on this later. But after today’s game (debacle) I’ve just had a huge family debate where I said EXACTLY the same but was outnumbered… being a sensitive person I still think like you it’s OTT. Whilst it will affect those directly involved the vast majority won’t have a clue what’s happening. Strange world we now live in 🤷‍♂️

Perhaps next time they just ask those around the incident to leave, that way the rest of the ground can carry on 

You're clearly commenting on someone who has never experienced this or witnessed it 

Additionally I can assure you that it will emotionally impact a lot more people than you realise 

Perhaps have a watch of this posted by a Bolton fan at the game yesterday 

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZGe6jcAMx/

• Like 1

I guess it all depends on whether the fan died at the match or how long the game was held up for.  Ive read that the match was stopped for approx 30 mins which seems long enough to postpone the game.  Sadly though with all the excess deaths related to heart and circulatory problems it’s becoming a lot more common. 

14 hours ago, steviestevieneville said:

There was the obligatory marching band walking up & down the pitch . One of them collapsed & died. He got stretchered off , the players came out & played.

That was the league Cup semi final 2nd leg home to Forest. As it was televised, "the show had to go on".

Over 100 years ago a young girl on her way to the game fell in a stream and drowned. The crowd had a whip round for her parents.

I remember the bandsman before the semi final in 1988, but wasn't there also a member of a band (a guitarist?), performing on the pitch as pre match entertainment in the mid-1970s (just prior to the top flight days?) who died from an electric shock at Ashton Gate? Once again the match went ahead.

I'm assuming that as has been stated by others, that back then anybody suffering cardiac arrest or whatever was mainly stretchered off to hospital where equipment was then used to assist them in the recovery process if possible. Whereas now paramedics are working in the serious instances on the spot rather than wasting valuable time by waiting until the patient arrives in hospital. Thus, it is a far more involved procedure. But, despite that, I am surprised games get postponed unless it's very clear that to take this action will help save the life of the person experiencing the trauma. Maybe it's a mixture of that and the prevailing attitude now for organisations etc not to seem insensitive to situations involving life and death. Bill Shankly wouldn't have agreed with that.

5 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

So sad. At least he/she went doing something they loved - small consolation I know.

That’s always my sentiment , if I go I want to be either led in the sun abroad  , have a bottle of beer in my hand or watching city , knowing my luck we would have just conceded  in the 91st minute 

• Like 2
  • Robin 1

1 hour ago, Super said:

Sadly the fan passed away. So was correct decision 

Yes.

I really don’t understand the argument here. If your relative was fighting for their life at a game & the emergency services wanted it abandoned, why on earth not?

This person died, a game of football is really not important in the scheme of things & how someone can even question the decision to stop it totally baffles me.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Yes.

I really don’t understand the argument here. If your relative was fighting for their life at a game & the emergency services wanted it abandoned, why on earth not?

This person died, a game of football is really not important in the scheme of things & how someone can even question the decision to stop it totally baffles me.

Swansea at home in October 2022 and pitch invaders to draw attention even ejected iirc? Albeit one let back in. Probably wasn't a life and death 

I agree though football game is nothing vs that.

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

Yes.

If I had a heart attack while at a City match, I wouldn’t want the match abandoned.  I’d want people to be able to enjoy something I loved.  Personally I hope my death will inconvenience as few people as possible (unless they’re Tories of course).

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 2

1 hour ago, Iron Acton Red said:

I remember going down the gate against Stoke in our 1st season back in championship under GJ, which we won 1 nil, a screamer from Marv. We were sat near top of Dolman and a poor guy had a heart attack, got taken away and unfortunately died.

Yes, good point.

Very sad as you say poor guy, but it wasn't abandoned?

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Iron Acton Red said:

I remember going down the gate against Stoke in our 1st season back in championship under GJ, which we won 1 nil, a screamer from Marv. We were sat near top of Dolman and a poor guy had a heart attack, got taken away and unfortunately died.

Yeah I remember that, pretty sure it was the game that Pulis marched across the pitch at the start lapping up the hate. The poor bloke who passed away wasn’t even that old.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Yeah I remember that, pretty sure it was the game that Pulis marched across the pitch at the start lapping up the hate. The poor bloke who passed away wasn’t even that old.

Was he the big lad , and I mean big as in tall and circumference ( no slur meant or intended ) was only about 30 if I got the right chap / game 

23 hours ago, Frenchay Red said:

Home game v Nottingham Forest for the return leg of the 1988/89 League Cup. It was surreal. The band kept marching while the poor guy was lead on the pitch.

I was just about to mention this very game. I remember it so vividly. One of the band members collapsed and the fans started shouting ‘Bruno Bruno’ as he had been knocked out by Mike Tyson around that time.

They announced at half time that the poor chap had passed away and I saw the body being brought out of the first aid post at the end of the match. It was so sad and has been etched in my mind ever since.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

If I had a heart attack while at a City match, I wouldn’t want the match abandoned.  I’d want people to be able to enjoy something I loved.  Personally I hope my death will inconvenience as few people as possible (unless they’re Tories of course).

I get what you are saying but a football match isn't important and be replayed. A life can't.

• Like 2

• Admin
42 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Yes, good point.

Very sad as you say poor guy, but it wasn't abandoned?

Come on mate you have constantly brought this incident up multiple times since, remember the protocols have changed since 

• Admin
1 hour ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Does that apply if you were do drop in a busy shopping centre? 

You'd like people just to carry on with their day around you? 

39 minutes ago, redkev said:

Was he the big lad , and I mean big as in tall and circumference ( no slur meant or intended ) was only about 30 if I got the right chap / game 

I was trying to remember the game, I was at the bottom of the Dolman stand as he went past. Very sad day 

Screenshot_20240114_193005_X.jpg

https://www.bhf.org.uk/how-you-can-help/how-to-save-a-life/how-to-do-cpr/learn-cpr-in-15-minutes

What I'd say here is none of us know the exact circumstances - which won't be the same in all cases. I'm not going to speculate on what the circumstances might have been but I can imagine there might be circumstances where someone is taken ill and can easily be treated unimpeded by a medical team in a way that enables the game to continue and circumstances where someone is taken ill and the medical team not feel they can safely and effectively treat that person to the highest possible standard due to the amount of space available, location of the person, impact on the crowd etc.

Even if people have seen an incident at a football match before - and I feel deeply sorry for anyone who has as it must have been a very traumatic experience - the circumstances may not have been the exact same circumstances of this incident. Without being there, without knowing the exact circumstances and without being a medical professional making an assessment on the ground. I think it is utterly impossible to have an informed view that it was inappropriate or unnecessary to stop the game. 

• Flames 1

• Admin
16 minutes ago, phantom said:

I was trying to remember the game, I was at the bottom of the Dolman stand as he went past. Very sad day 

https://www.bhf.org.uk/how-you-can-help/how-to-save-a-life/how-to-do-cpr/learn-cpr-in-15-minutes

Screenshot_20240114_195019_Drive.jpg

23 hours ago, phantom said:

If I was taken ill in a busy shopping centre I’d hope that people would facilitate my treatment, but I wouldn’t expect the shopping centre to be closed after I’d been taken away.

Death is sad, and sometimes tragic, but inevitable for all of us.  However, life goes on…

• Flames 1

I saw an older chap have a heart attack at Twerton, we were shouting for the paramedics while the game went on, he survived and became a good friend who became part of our little home gang when we moved to the Mem, he lived to a ripe old age and we regularly gave stick to about making us miss a part of a game when he had his heart attack. We loved him dearly and I never thought I would be so upset over the death of an 89 year  old man I wasn't related to. Yes, it wasn't good to see a man have a heart attack, but it happens. If I died at a game , there is no way on earth I would want it stopped, unless we were losing of course :) 

In fact I've just changed my mind, I want to die at Ashton Gate while we are losing to you with 5 minutes left, ideally just after I hear the 'match abandoned' announcement over the PA system  :) 

• Haha 1